Perfect folder lockup...How do I do it?

Started making some lockback folders a while back and could never get the lockup perfect.
How do I do it?

Are you using an assembly plate? Got pics of the lockup? Are you contructing the blade and lock mechanism before anything else? I find that by using an assembly plate specifically-designed for the lockback I am making I can fine-tune the lockup quite nicely before moving on to the liners.

Assembly Plate:confused: Pics!!!
Jeff thanks
I make the blade and lockup after getting the handle slabs profiled and leave enough meat to grind down on the lock.
My release for the lock tends to hit around the middle of the handle.

Blinker said:
Assembly Plate:confused: Pics!!!
Jeff thanks
I make the blade and lockup after getting the handle slabs profiled and leave enough meat to grind down on the lock.
My release for the lock tends to hit around the middle of the handle.

Its just a 1/4" aluminum plate with corresponding holes drilled in it, Bubba. I use either hardened dowel pins to hold the lock, blade, spring.

Jeff
So you are doing the fit up on the insides of the knife before commiting it to the scales correct?
By using an assembly plate it is consistant for each blade

Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith

ilmarinen - MODERATOR
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
A common cause of the failure for the lock to be tight is not having the proper angles on the lock parts.If you make it square,it will not be tight (at least not for long).

Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith

ilmarinen - MODERATOR
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
If I remember right it is 5 degree face angle and just a bit more rear angle for the lock notch.The spring/back should be a mate.It should come into the lock notch just shy of all the way.Leave a little room so crud and wear don't make it sloppy.

howiesatwork

Platinum Member
Tom Anderson has a tutorial on a framelock.
You might want to check out Bob Terzuola's book, The Tactical Folding Knife. It covers linerlocks, but the information is applicable to framelocks, as well.

howiesatwork

Platinum Member
Lockbacks... yep I'm wasn't paying attention. I've got it too, and yes, it's helpful...