Perrin Street Surgeon

Ahhhh yes, I love new Fred Perrin customs. This one arrived yesterday from my friend and favorite knife dealer, Larry@bladeart.com

Fred wore the proto of the Street Surgeon to Blade. When Larry and Vince from Blade Art saw it, they tackled him and removed it from his belt. I don't guess that Fred minded too much because neither Larry nor Vince were in need of prompt medical attention (a few band-aids maybe; big deal). But the Blade Art Guys DID place a substantial order with Fred for a batch of these Street Surgeons which they have now received. Lucky me!

Fred apparently isn't big on naming his knives, but it's real difficult to discuss a knife via e-mail or phone without a name, so per my suggestion Larry has decided that "Perrin Street Surgeon" fits this little blade. This is one down, dirty, and dimunitive scalpel.
StreetSurgeon.JPG

I like covert, spooky, last-ditch type blades for supplemental carry. Normally I carry a couple of nice tactical folders with me at all times, but it's nice to have this Street Surgeon as a third blade, especially since you never even know that you're wearing until you reach for it. Here's a pic of it along with my Commander for size comparison.
ComSurge.JPG

The leather rig for the Street Surgeon is brilliantly designed and extremely well crafted. Here's a pic of Vince from Blade Art wearing it at Blade after he swiped it from Fred.
FredBelt.JPG

And here's a couple of close-ups of the sheath.
SurgeBack.JPG

SurgeFront.JPG

Incidentally, I discovered today that this sheath can also be worn INSIDE of the belt for ultra discreet carry. Nothing remains visible except for the black leather snap which your belt threads through. If you wear a black leather belt, the sheath will blend perfectly with it.

Fred builds blades for using. No, this isn't an art knife by any stretch of the imagination. However, it IS simple, functional, and ultra sharp. The blade is hollow/chisel ground with Fred's trademark temper line clearly present.
The Surgeon measures 4" overall and weighs a mere 1 ounce by itself, and a total of 2.2 ounces in the sheath.

I love this blade because it reminds me that finding pleasure in a custom doesn't always have to cost a small fortune. For a hundred bucks and some change, this is one of the best purchases that I've made in awhile.

(edited in order to add specs)

MAMACITA!!! Now dat is a sweet lil knife. Don't bring it too close to me ;-)

Thanks for showing it to us! Fred does some nice stuff:eek:

The blade is nice but that sheath is OUTSTANDING!!!!!! Nice simplistic design and verry well thought out. I love it.

Nice little knife! The sheath looks very practical and well done. Enjoy it!

The sheath is just outstanding! A great design, looks like it would work for a lot of small knives. The knife doesn't ring my bell, but the sheath sure does!:cool:

I love this knife!

It needs a small and discrete kydex sheath - and it will be perfect....

Thanks for all of the positive responses, guys! :)

Blilious, I agree, a small/discrete kydex rig that just covers an inch or so of the front end would be ideal for this piece, and would allow it to become perhaps the ultimate wallet knife. I'm going to contact Mike Sastre and have him design such a rig using his carbon fiber pattern concealex.

Eric

Looks like this is going to be added to the urgent wish list...make sure you post an image of the sheath when you get it...

Eric, did you make accommodations for a sheath yet? After I looked at these pics a few nights ago I had an idea for a sheath right before I slipped off to sleep. I think I could get it to work, and it would be pretty cool. The design calls for a strip of Kydex/Concealex and a screw and that's it. I'd love to be able to try, and I will take cash or trades for payment, so if you want email me and we can work out a deal.

I find myself coming back to this thread. I just love the set up on this blade. I think I am just more in love with the sheath then the knife itself! I just think I might have to get one! :D

Dr. Steve, I haven't made arrangements for a concealex sheath yet.. ..because I can't get used to the idea of being without this little blade! I've been wearing it daily since it arrived, and each day I like it more. I very well may have to get a second one soon, and if I do I'll contact you about making the concealex sheath, okay? Do you work with the carbon fiber pattern concealex?

jacko, this entire setup is great bang for the buck. There are very few knives that I own two of, but as I mentioned above.. ..I'm going to be needing a second one of these; one to switch off between belt carry in the original Perrin leather and sometimes to be worn in a small concealex sheath for wallet carry,.... and then one to keep as a spare in the safe. They're truly that much fun to own.
:)

Eric, Larry is sendng me one, so you may get a chance to have the sheath without the heartbreak of not having the knife for a few days! I'll post my impressions when I get it, and if the sheath works out I'll send you one.

Steve, that would be great! Just let me know how the sheath works out, and let me know how much you want for one whenever you're ready.BTW,I much prefer concealex to kydex if you have any on hand.:)

Dennis, the Street Surgeon blade is entirely secure in it's leather sheath. It takes a firm tug in order to present it.

Look what you made me do!!!....I called Larry today and ordered one, which I'm happy for 2 reasons- 1. I'm getting a very cool little knife :D , and 2. Talked to Larry for awhile, and he is a real gentleman- someone I look forward to dealing with more in the near future.

I know it is cute N'all - and I like it too, and do pardon my French, but isn't 120 $ a little bit too expensive for such a small baby???

Bilious, when you add up the cost of materials of any knife, the price usually far outweighs the materials. You are also paying for the maker's time, and more importantly, expertise. Also, Fred's knives are imported from France, so there is probably duty and taxes involved. $120 may seem steep for a small integral, but that often changes when you hold and use it the first time. For comparison, I would probably charge $60-$75 for the same knife if I made it (with a Concealex sheath), but then again I don't have Fred's reputation, and I also wouldn't have to contend with internationsl taxes, duties and shipping charges.

Back