Personalizer Plus Etching Machine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Old car battery . . . :) Well , if you think so, no problem. Buy that empty box for $275 :thumbsup: BW , do you know what does it do that switch etch /mark ?

Old car battery . . . :) Well , if you think so, no problem. Buy that empty box for $275 :thumbsup: BW , do you know what does it do that switch etch /mark ?

It's called sarcasm, I know that's a hard concept for you to grasp but I'm not here to explain it to you. Regardless since you're a mechanical and electrical genius and enjoy showing us simple plebs how foolish we are for buying tools instead of making them out of scrap from a junk heap, I'm sure you'll regale us with your spectacular etching machine design.

It took me five minutes to get this out of my old personal computer and to cut wire I don t need . Read the label..............
cGsN0ZR.jpg

It took me five minutes to get this out of my old personal computer and to cut wire I don t need . Read the label..............
cGsN0ZR.jpg

That really is SO much better than a Personalizer Plus, I'm glad you have shown me the way Nutlek. Do you use saltwater or do you just urinate on the stencil before using your re-purposed power supply?

I found that urine from my dog is better choice :D Look , I try to help you to save some money not to praise my self as one smartest in the room .I have several electronic device which can be used for etch/mark .Actually any transformer from AC to DC will work .Even small battery charger for bike ,and is cheap ten times then this empty box ! 12V DC is enough to do job .Say 18 DC , will be only little faster ,thats all ! Changing from etch to mark is simple changing polarity ... +/ -
This small one is 5 - 35 V + have amper reading
TO3zYxT.jpg

qNRU2Ng.jpg

This one is more powerful can from 3 to 40 ? I don t remember ...
wnzzBPq.jpg

N Natlek show us your set up and how it works.

I am interested to see it perform

N Natlek show us your set up and how it works.

I am interested to see it perform
I don t mark my knives.......I have try only one time just to see and CHECK what i read on internet ...........This is done with 12V Dc on that small black device on previous picture .No stencil just simple something like Scotch tape ,letter cut by me and salt water ...
shine one , it is quite deep
vwppPIe.jpg

black one is mine work . on top , that other piece of steel is on laser
7u7aq8C.jpg

I found that urine from my dog is better choice :D Look , I try to help you to save some money not to praise my self as one smartest in the room .I have several electronic device which can be used for etch/mark .Actually any transformer from AC to DC will work .Even small battery charger for bike ,and is cheap ten times then this empty box ! 12V DC is enough to do job .Say 18 DC , will be only little faster ,thats all ! Changing from etch to mark is simple changing polarity ... +/ -
This small one is 5 - 35 V + have amper reading
TO3zYxT.jpg

qNRU2Ng.jpg

This one is more powerful can from 3 to 40 ? I don t remember ...
wnzzBPq.jpg

I don't see how going "YOU PAY 275 FOR THIS???????" is trying to help answer my question, I asked if the Personalizer Plus is worth the additional investment compared to the base model. Your post has nothing to do with that, I didn't ask you how to use re-purposed garbage to etch steel.

Of course , it s your money spend them as you wish . I apologize that I say that it is too much money for that kind of simple device :thumbsup:

I would be very interested in hearing more about what the difference is, specifically that having variable voltage can offer me.

I have a basic model, for many years, and it seems to work fine and was what I could afford back then.
I have considered often upgrading to the pro model.
But I have never received a clear explanation of what the value of having variable, or higher, voltage can do for my etches.
Can someone post images, at the basic 12V, and at 18V, or even at lower voltages?

Or help me understand with an explaination?

I would really appreciate it.

I currently use stencils from IMG; Solution 94 form USA knifemaker; 01, 1095, 15N20 steels and the following recipe:
Etch: 3 seconds, then lift for 2 seconds, repeat 15 times
Mark (not always): same steps

I do get some occasional "ghosting", or etching outside of my image along the edges, which I would like to remedy.
But I think it may be due to using too much solution.

Thanks,
Brome

Natlek- you have to understand that these people giving you a hard time can not understand making an etcher. They have to buy one.
Yet, they want to make knives!
It's hard for them to understand what a DC power supply is, and how it works.
Let them waste their money.

Natlek- you have to understand that these people giving you a hard time can not understand making an etcher. They have to buy one.
Yet, they want to make knives!
It's hard for them to understand what a DC power supply is, and how it works.
Let them waste their money.

Thanks for the insight Bill, didn't realize that's why I didn't like him. Glad you could clarify my reasons. Good Job.

I asked about a specific etching machine, and if the "plus" model was worth additional investment. I didn't ask for advice on how to make one, and if I did Bill I wouldn't ask Natlek.

I'd rather spend my time making knives than building a etcher from scrap parts, since you know I have a full-time job that I regularly work over-time and maybe I have a family that also demands my time.

Last edited:
By the way- buying an AC/DC converter is the same thing. It just doesn't say "Personalizer" on it.

I've got no dog in this fight! Lucky for me someone gave me years ago a bench top variable voltage power supply for both DC and AC. The only thing I had to do was make a hand piece. I will say if someone does a search on Amazon for bench top power supplies they can be found as cheap as $40 for a variable voltage DC power supply. AC low voltage transformers are also easy to find. Now you do have to make a hand piece or buy the personalize model hand piece for $22. With all that said I myself sometimes just find that I just want to BUY a ready made product and be done with no tinkering! I understand that. I've done that and will do again I'm sure.

I will say I lately was having problems getting a great etch like I use to get. I researched it and as a electrician did all the standard tests and my equip proved solid. Come to find out, EVEN though I asked several reputable folks and was told Stainless steel etching solution doesn't go bad it does. Or atleast it did in my case. I ordered new and right on the new bottle it states it has a 2 year shelf life. Go figure! Back to solid deep etching! FYI It should be sold in 4 ounce bottles instead of quarts based on how little it takes to make a great etch.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back