Pesky CAK buttplate

Pretty soon after I got my CAK several years ago, the buttplate started coming loose. I ignored it because it wasn't a big deal. But it progressively got worse until about 6 months ago the keeper started coming loose and came off. I epoxied the buttplate and tack welded the keeper back in place. But, after several uses, both came off again. Frustrated, I tried different epoxy. A use or two later, both came off again. Finally, fed up, I welded the both buttplate and keeper onto the tang. Well, after more uses, the welds broke and both flew off. Unfortunately, this time I wasn't able to find the keeper. Any ideas? I don't care about having an original keeper and buttplate on, although it would be nice. I just want something that'll be functional and stay on and I won't have to worry about it. I keep thinking of just welding a 1/4" piece of metal to the end, but there isn't much to weld to. I don't suppose it needs anything on the end and the button might work as a glass breaker which would be neat I guess. It just looks pretty cheap. If the wood around here wasn't all dead or dying pine and cedar, I probably wouldn't be having such problems with it, but oh well.

You might have to remove some wood so you have more tang exposed. Then just use a washer or piece of brass or whatever that fits tightly over the tang. I epoxy the washer or whatever you use and then but the blade tip onto a solid piece of wood, across the grain so it doesn't split and then peen the tang over. Similar to a rivet. I usually do that after the epoxy is dry but you can do it at the same time.

Back