Peter Herbst, How Many Originals?

I am curious as to how many original C53 Peter Herbst knives with annodized titanium handle and 440C Solengen blade were produced and distributed before being changed over to the new model with aluminum handle and ATS 55 blade? Anybody have a clue?

Thanks in advance
recoil

I would also like to know the answer. I have been collecting for a couple of years and have seen just a handfull. In fact, the more I think about it, the only one that I remember seeing, I bought. Good thing too, they are hard to find.

Ben

I know it's less than 500. I remember something about these being made at the Boker factory and the quality not being as good as it could be.

I've been looking high and low for one. Another that escapes me is a plain edge CF Cricket.

Recoil,

I see that you got the Herbst from Anthony. If you change your mind about keeping it, drop me a line.

:)

My guess would be not more than 300 actually hitting the streets. We scrapped a lot of them.

sal

Sal,

Thank you for the reply, I would have asked you personally at the NY show last week but I was suffering from sensory overload from all of your new items. The Herbst question just slipped my mind.

The original Herbst is an interesting knife with a rather strange history. With so few actually hitting the street it's no wonder they are hard to find!

Thanks again
recoil

Sal,

Thanks for the info!! I can't believe there were so few released, it is a very cool design and one of my favorite Spydercos. The action is the smoothest of any Spydie, right up there with the Viele.

Do you happen to remember, of the 300 that made it, were the first 200 collectors pieces (for a total of 300 or were there additional collectors pieces for a total of 500)? Thanks.

Ben

View

-What the heck is that design anyway?
recoil

recoil,

Beautiful pic! I would love to get a serrated version, if you ever decide to part with either give me a call :D

Are yours numbered? The one I have is a plainedge #274.

Ben

Ben, Owl,

After the job it took finding them I'm not looking to unload either of the 2 any time soon.
BTW the plain is numbered in the mid 400s and the serrated is in the high 600 range.

recoil

Samo, you wouldn't believe how cheaply recoil got that Herbst for! I only missed that post by about 1/2 hour.

What a steal. You are a lucky man, recoil.

Great pic Recoil.
I have a plain one (nr 373) ; I could not get hold of a serrated one.
I especially wanted a Herbst, because it is (to my knowledge) the only Spydie designed and manufactured in Europe.
Philip

As the saying goes:
"One mans trash is another mans treasure"

If you hang around these forums a while you are going to pick up a bargain sooner or later.;)

recoil

NCBlades,

Yep, thats the one. ;) It is one of my favorite Spyderco knives. Philip357 makes a good point also. I never really thought of it that way before.

Ben

Try posting a WTB message in the exchange forum. In the past, some posters complained about the Ti Herbst and may be willing to sell or trade the knife. I just love mine so don't bother asking me to sell mine. I'm surprised about the number of people now interested in locating a Ti Herbst--maybe some of the people who complained about the quality control of the Herbst in the past will now be reluctant to sell it. Question for Sal: Do you remember the location of that rubbish bin you used when you trashed those old and unwanted Herbsts? ;)

the plain is numbered in the mid 400s and the serrated is in the high 600 range

How can this be if Sal said:

My guess would be not more than 300 actually hitting the streets.

I wasn't too far off in my guess :)

The more I think about it, I wouldn't want to own a Herbst. I probably wouldn't carry or use it. I really prefer non-metal handles as well as tip-up carry. I also have 3 Wegner jrs. that accomplish the same tasks the Herbst would.

:D

As far as Sal's statement regarding the low number of original Herbst models actually getting out and a lot being scrapped, I don't know how many were produced in the original run from Germany but I suspect that since I have one numbered in the 600s that a lot of numbers in between were culled out.

I am more of a user than a collector, however, the rarity of the original and the history surrounding the knife make it more desireble to the Spyderco collector.

Personally, I think the Peter Herbst Collaboration is a nice knife for carry, I like the size and the very smooth opening and it's sharp as hell, but I would buy and carry the new aluminum/ATS55 model for carry and keep the rare titanium/440c version in the case.:D

recoil

Back