1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer 1034A1 Gingrich Bush Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Phil Wilson Southfork...BOOM, Mic Drop!!!

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Ridley75, Oct 13, 2015.

1. Ridley75

Ridley75

Dec 2, 2011
    My search for a hunting knife is over. A Phil Wilson Southfork in K390 arrived yesterday. I may get the opportunity to give it a proper test on elk next year during Idaho's archery season or maybe this month on a deer here in Cali if I can get out one last time.

I've only cut a couple of veggies (I know not really cutting much) and this thing feels amazing in hand. The blade is thin and is extremely toothy.

I don't believe I can post pics but I think the following link to imgur will work. http://i.imgur.com/aRrUYle.jpg

A massive thank you to Mr. Wilson for producing such a beautiful and functional tool...it will be used and hopefully if my arrows fly true, it will be used often.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 13, 2015
  2. trevitrace

trevitrace Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 21, 2013
    I've got two. Bow river in s110v and Smoke Creek in M4. Congratulations, man, they're fantastic knives, hope you get a chance to use it soon. :thumbup:

3. Shift

Shift

Jun 3, 2012
    Now I know where the black one went ;) Congrats I haven't had mine long enough to skin an animal yet either but have done some cutting on other materials. Heck of a score what color back spacer?

4. Ridley75

Ridley75

Dec 2, 2011
    Lime green. What color is your handle and spacer?

5. Shift

Shift

Jun 3, 2012
    Tan micarta/ Orange. I have another k390 on the way in black and lime green but its not from Phil. Nice color combo. 64 rc? You will be happy you snagged one there is very little k390 floating around.

6. rpn

rpn Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 17, 2008
    That's a beauty! His knives look like such good tools.

7. zl1

zl1

Nov 24, 2012
    Try [​IMG] for your picture
    Looks great btw

8. inkynate

inkynate Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 4, 2010
    That should do it. Nice one!

9. Velitrius

Velitrius Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 3, 2000
    I sure hope you get to test it out properly on a Boone & Crockett record setter.

That's a fine looking piece, and I can't wait to hear how it handles a Wapiti.

10. Ankerson

Ankerson Knife and Computer Geek Platinum Member Gold Member

Nov 2, 2002
    Very nice score. :thumbup:

Phil makes one heck of a knife. :)

11. Ridley75

Ridley75

Dec 2, 2011
    Thanks Apophis. Even if I don't get a deer this year I know I'll get a few ducks so at least it will see a little work this year.

Ankerson's, your one of the reasons why I jumped in the deep end of the pool. Without your testing and writing about his knives I would have never known about them and their performance.

12. Ankerson

Ankerson Knife and Computer Geek Platinum Member Gold Member

Nov 2, 2002
    You won't regret it one bit either. :D

13. jeffbird

jeffbird Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 3, 2011
    I've been through lots of hunting knives - until I tried a Phil Wilson. End of search. :)

Congratulations and good luck hunting.

14. Steel130

Steel130

Sep 17, 2010
    Very nice score! I have a Bird and Trout from him and it is a performance machine. I've been wanting to get another blade from him, the pictures of yours might push me over the edge :D.

15. BITEME

BITEME Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 14, 2007
    yeah I really want to score one of his k390 ,when he gets settled back in,said he lost his home a few weeks ago to the fires that are burning in the area ,be nice to organize a collection or something?

16. AntDog

AntDog Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 3, 2001
    Very nice. I'd imagine it will make a near perfect hunting knife. :thumbup:

17. spyken

spyken Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 29, 2002
    is k390 any good? better than m390?

18. Ridley75

Ridley75

Dec 2, 2011
    Better in what way?

Wear resistance...by a mile. Corrosion resistance...no. Lateral strength, toughness...I don't know. Other better informed steel dudes can chime in on that. I wanted this knife because I wanted a purpose built cutting machine that can process an elk without needing a touch-up and do another elk as well. A11 class steel (e.g., K390, cpm10v, k294) provide that super high wear resistance that I am looking for, and when combined with Phil's design you get one bad mofo of a slicer and dicer.

19. Ridley75

Ridley75

Dec 2, 2011
    I have used it more in the kitchen and am always sad when I run out of veggies and meat to cut. So I keep trying to come up with meals that need more prep work. But alas, I am heading out for the last weekend of the California deer season (this weekend) and I will have my rifle instead of my bow so maybe, just maybe I will put this beauty to work.

20. spyken

spyken Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 29, 2002
    does it rust easily? especially when it comes in contact with fluids and blood? I gather k390 is similar to 10V or Vanadis10?