Photos, do they influence our decisions ?

I have often wondered, does a photo of a knife influence us ?

Of course marketing people with companies such as SOG probably already know the answer to this question, because they have been to school to learn these things that otherwise might take several years of trial and error for the average person (like me) :rolleyes: .

What I would really like to know is this, do the photos matter that much ? If so, how much would you say ?

First link photo,

http://web.archive.org/web/20020616055256/sogknives.com/images2/SOGimages/nightvision.jpg

Compare to these, (let load)

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=363008

Second link photo,

http://www.sogknives.com/hrevolver.htm

Compare to these, let load,

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=354507

Do you think it could make a difference ? Or is this a "no brainer" ? :D

Thanks for your input. I will tell you what I think after I get a few responses.

Robbie Roberson ;)

Well Robbie,

I think it makes a big difference. Looking at the three you present:

- the blue background one is kind of flat

- on the other hand Socintel's third picture of the same knife (with the revolver and powerlock) is excellent, providing depth and perspective

With respect to SOG's catalog pictures they are fine (if a little flat) but that is compensated by the detailed photos that provide different perspective (an improvement with their web site this year)

One of the reasons I buy from AG Russell (in addition to the great service) is that AG's catalogs are great. I really liked the old format with the big pictures, but the new square format is still gorgeous.

Hope this input is what you were looking for.

Best,

Neal

Robbie pics are important. If you're referring to them being on a forum, then yes they are. If you are describing a knife and need answers to your questions a pic will help to get them answered. If you doing a review, pics will help as a visual. If you're selling a knife, your sale will be a more pleasant transaction if the buyer can see what he's getting. For me pics are very important if I want people to see what I'm making. I also use pics during the making of a knife so I can show the customer the progression of their knife as I'm making it. That way if any changes need to be made I can do it before I get to far. This works best with a customer design. Pics are a part of advertising so people can see what they are buying. So to answer your question, yes they're important. ;)
Scott

Scottsman, thanks a bunch, yes that is very helpful to me, that is a very detailed answer and I figured as much.

Scott, this is exactly what I was hoping to hear you say. I know you had some experience with photos on your web site and new models etc.

We could go on for days about this IMO, but I think it makes a huge difference, at least it does for me.

When I look at a regular photo, it shows me the outline and basic shape, or color, that is fine.

Then when I see pics like Socintel took of the Night Vision and Revolver, it makes the knives seem alive, with character and life to them. I know it seems silly but I actually wanted another Night Vision, and I have one already ! :rolleyes:

Thanks for your help, I think I have it all figured out now, I am going to have to stop looking at all these great pics., thats the problem.. :rolleyes:

Oh ! one more example, Ron Andersen posted some pics of a Night Vision a few days ago, I am convinced this is what made Socintel order his, they were pics of excellent quality and depth. And another note, Ron has taken some of the best photos I have seen of the Team Leader and other SOG knives just as examples.

Robbie Roberson ;)

Yes, it was definitely Ron's pics which caused me to buy the Night vision, that and all the positive comments I had heard about it.;)

P.S. I added another pic.

Hey Robbie,

Great question you’ve posed. I can give some background for you on this one.

Though Socintel has taken some outstanding “artistic” photos (which are beautiful and I wish I could shoot pictures that well), companies like SOG tackle this from a different perspective. Often, they have their products shot by professional photographers with the sole intent of giving a clear representation of the product which has good lighting, is in great focus, and shows the overall product with a good amount of detail. "Artisic" has very little to do with it. Also, the background is almost always nothing but a solid, contrasting color so that in a program like Photoshop, a clipping path is made around the product and any background can then used; or even no background when the product has the page color come right up to the image (reference SOG’s current print catalog; it can be downloaded off SOG’s website). When a background is used, often they use a very simple background so as not to compete with the product.

On websites, small images are used because everyone does not have broadband internet connections. This often gives even less opportunity for beautiful, artistic, extra clear images. I personally disagree with that, preferring a link to BIG images I can lust over.

Regarding the SOG photo you’ve shown here (with the blue background), those images were intended for print media, not web media. I personally took those images from our (sorry, “SOG’s”) marketing department, which already had the clipping paths in place, and placed each on that blue background. I probably should have used a different color, but at the point I grew tired of the blue, I’d already put in many clock hours and kept up the status quo. The goals was to get the images up on the website, keeping the products independent from a conflicting background, and have them completely uniform. The images were bigger than the image you’ve shown, with the original size being 800x600 (or at least 800 wide, for uniformity).

Images do a lot to influence buyers. Personally, I would prefer more angles shown, bigger images, and clearer images, all with an artistic, but simple background.

Hope this helps.

Socintel, that new pic shows the REAL texture of that G-10, OK, thats about enough.......... :p Your going to make me order another one before they are gone.

Ron, thank you for your great input, I never realized any of that, but often wondered. It sure was an interesting job to say the least. Lots of responsibility I'm sure.

I have a zillion ideas about photos, I guess I'll never get to elaborate on them though.

Thanks for the great information. :thumbup:

Robbie Roberson.

P.S. Ron, I edited to add a little above......... :D

Socintel certainly has better photography skills than me, but he also has the better camera (his being a Fuji FinePix S7000, versus my humble Nikon 4300). After looking at his pictures, I need to get an upgrade! :) Think I can sell my wife on it?

Yup, The camera I used for these pics was different than the one I used on the revolver-H...this one was much, much better.:eek: Also, I don't think my photo taking skills are any better than Ron's... you should see how many rejects I get.:eek:

I have a wally world throw away........... :grumpy: will it take good ones ? :rolleyes:

Ron, how did you know what camera he used ? Yes you can sell her on a new camera, but you take excellent photos.

As I said in a past thread, looking at Socintel's photos makes me want to be a better man ! :D

(Hidden Movie Quote above) :D
Robbie Roberson ;)

Hey Robbie,
Robbie Roberson said:
Ron, how did you know what camera he used ? Yes you can sell her on a new camera, but you take excellent photos.
It's magic! No, no...actually, it's a form of telepathy!

OK, it's actually an imbedded code put in digital images called EXIF (Exchangeable Image File). Basically, it stores information about the camera and camera settings. Here's more information from Digital Photography Review and Digicamhelp.

I have an image viewer/editer on my computer that shows all the EXIF information (the program is ACDSee). I think anyone with a Window's-based computer can see it, unless I'm seeing it via a "plug in" on my computer from my image viewer. On your computer, try saving the image to your hard drive, right-clicking on the image, go down to "properties," click on "summary," and click on "advanced." See if that works on your computer, giving all the detail.

The following information is the EXIF for THIS IMAGE by Socintel:

Camera

Make FUJIFILM

Model FinePix S7000

Orientation Upper Left

X resolution 72/1

Y resolution 72/1

Resolution unit inches

Software Adobe Photoshop CS Windows

Date/time 9/2/2005 6:15:24 PM

YCbCr positioning co-sited

Image description

Artist

Copyright

Exposure time 1/160 s

F-number f/2.8

Exposure program Normal program

ISO speed ratings 200

Date/time original 9/2/2005 3:05:41 PM

Date/time digitized 9/2/2005 3:05:41 PM

Component config YCbCr

Compressed BPP 3.2

Shutter speed value 1/158 s

Aperture value f/2.8

Brightness value 4.39

Exposure bias value 0.00 EV

Max. aperture value f/2.8

Metering mode Pattern

Light source unknown

Flash Flash did not fire, compulsory flash mode

Focal length 7.8 mm

User comment

Colorspace sRGB

Pixel X dimension 1024

Pixel Y dimension 769

Focal plane X res. 5263/1

Focal plane Y res. 5263/1

Sensing method One-chip color area sensor

Scene type A directly photographed image

Custom Rendered Normal process

Exposure mode Auto exposure

White balance Auto white balance

Scene capture type Standard

Sharpness Normal

Subject distance range Macro

Miscellaneous

Exif version 2.2

FlashPix version 1.0

[font=&quot] File source DSC
[/font]

Ron, that is amazing ! Can you tell if I type with one or two fingers ! :p

You are way beyond me, I only have an 25 year old Nikon 35 mm, it still works great but I rarely use it because of the smaller point/shoot model we have.

Of course it is not in the same league as yours and Socintel. Thanks for all the input, I learned a lot, I am going to send you an email with a photo of a Revolver I found, see what you think.

Robbie Roberson :)

Hey Robbie,
Robbie Roberson said:
Ron, that is amazing ! Can you tell if I type with one or two fingers ! :p

You are way beyond me, I only have an 25 year old Nikon 35 mm, it still works great but I rarely use it because of the smaller point/shoot model we have.
No, I can't tell how many fingers you type with, but I can tell you're using a Commodore 64 computer to go with the camera! ;)

commie1.gif

Sorry, just couldn't resist myself!

Ron Andersen said:
Hey Robbie,No, I can't tell how many fingers you type with, but I can tell you're using a Commodore 64 computer to go with the camera! ;)

commie1.gif

Sorry, just couldn't resist myself!

LOL....now that was funny!!!!

Hey, that looks just like my computer ! :p

My wife says I need to update, but I say why update when I have top of the line. :eek:

Robbie Roberson :confused:

Stupid pictures, makes me want to go out and play with my knives and buy the ones I don't have, :grumpy: Stupid, stupid pictures. ;) :D

I think good pictures help sell products and influense what we spend money on. Especially when we see lots of pictures of that same knife or other product. The more exposure the more we will probably want to know and the more likely we are to buy said item. Good topic BTW. :thumbup:

Heber

I def agree the pictures can help sell an item. As a matter of fact because of socintel review of the Revolver-H I am anxiously awaiting the arrival of my plain edged Black TiNi SEAL Revolver.

Cheers

Guardrail, this is good news, I know you will like it. :D

I think pictures of knives in action in some way have an influence over me a lot more than just a knife with a plain background like Ron described.

Robbie Roberson ;)

Awesome!!! I'm sure you will love it. I carry mine all over the place...in fact, it's on my belt right now. I think I'm going to spend some time in the woods today. :):thumbup:

.... been outta town on a 5-day labor day bender, of sorts......

anyway, it's all about the pictures !! Y'all head over to The Gallery here at BF and you'll know what I'm talking about......

Pictures are to knives what smell is to food. The incredible aroma of food ignites the hunger. So I'm thinking the sight (in this case, an incredibly good picture) of a knife fires up the imagination/hunger for the knife.

Do a bit of searching here at BF and find the "Koster/Chisan Collaboration Bowie" and you'll know what I mean. The first time I saw that knife the Pavlovian drool response kicked in, and I haven't been able to erase the photographic images that Dan Koster took of the knife.
---- and because I couldn't get rid of those images, well, suffice it to say that Dan is now making one for me.

So IMHO pictures sell the product.

Cheers,

Carl

p.s. for any watch crazies out there, you know what I mean. It's the old axiom that the watch dial sells the watch. It's all about appearance.

p.p.s. and isn't that how many folks choose their candidate: the one who looks the best, and substance be darned ??

Back