Photos! Post your CPK photos here!

I do believe that may be Maroon micarta. I’m not sure but I’m sure @Jo the Machinist can tell us!

Edit: Wait, is Maroon now called double red?
Well, I’ve been told that it’s called double red because the material itself as well as the epoxy (?) are both red. Please shoot me now because I really don’t know how it’s done. The end color, though, it maroon like.

SCr7Wjm.jpg

Last edited:
Curious. Did the other(s) fail due to being overfilled?

I didn’t get out much earlier in the season, so trying to make up for it now.

They are all being emptied from the top right now. Once they are empty, the pedestals will need to be looked at in great detail.

The whole area is an exclusion zone right now pending inspection which cannot occur until the silos are empty. Once they are empty they will have to figure out how to hold them up properly.

Apparently as the silos are emptied from the bottom under standard operating procedures, the force applied to the bottom of the silo increases and overwhelmed the pedestal. Maybe it’s a bolt/fastener issue?

They are all being emptied from the top right now. Once they are empty, the pedestals will need to be looked at in great detail.

The whole area is an exclusion zone right now pending inspection which cannot occur until the silos are empty. Once they are empty they will have to figure out how to hold them up properly.

Apparently as the silos are emptied from the bottom under standard operating procedures, the force applied to the bottom of the silo increases and overwhelmed the pedestal. Maybe it’s a bolt/fastener issue?
Interesting.

Regardless, glad no one was injured. Certainly could’ve went a lot worse.

Interesting.

Regardless, glad no one was injured. Certainly could’ve went a lot worse.

From my impression looking at it, picture the weight of the product moving down the silo, where the bottom is a funnel. The faster it’s emptied, the faster the product is moving down and is funneled together so the product goes from moving straight down vertically to starting to move horizontally. There is probably an exponential force curve applied outwards to those surfaces. The pedestal ends right at the transition between the vertical side wall and the beginning of the cone. When the silo collapsed, we were draining it at approx 10% of its capacity.

There are pieces of the support pedestal on all sides of the silo now so I’m pretty sure it just broke apart moving outwards in all directions and the silo came down. I’ll post up a better pic later.

Back