Photos! Post your CPK photos here!

Can't waiting for winter! The backcountry (and frontcountry campgrounds) have been extremely busy this year in Ontario with a ton of abuse to nature happening (people leaving behind entire camps/garbage, pooping all over campsites, illegally chopping down trees in provincial parks, etc.). Really hoping the cold drives people back inside lol
IMG_20191215_082443.jpg

Can't waiting for winter! The backcountry (and frontcountry campgrounds) have been extremely busy this year in Ontario with a ton of abuse to nature happening (people leaving behind entire camps/garbage, pooping all over campsites, illegally chopping down trees in provincial parks, etc.). Really hoping the cold drives people back inside lol
View attachment 1446324

people are the worst

fatfrog fatfrog is that a HMG Southwest?

It frustrates and saddens me to no end with how people are ok with littering, as well as utter disregard for their actions. That tree that stood for a decade or two? Nobody else cut it down, gee, I wonder why? Just ignorant, arrogant, and egocentric. Boils my blood. Bah.

This is his hunter pattern in 3V which I ordered custom. As far as I know he’s still using PHT. It’s a knife I use for any meat that I intend to contact bone and it’s held up very well.

The handle materials may not be everyone’s taste but grey and black is kinda my thin.

The other two are AEB-L. The one from Nathan is done the way he did his own, vs the common finish. And the paring knife is a custom as well, razor thin and incredibly sharp. They are all kinda babied to be honest. Only used as intended, washed and put away immediately. No one but me uses them.

My fiancé uses a paring knife and Santoku from a local maker, North Arm Knives in S35VN and they have held up amazing considering how she abuses them. By far the most abused knives in the house. They are probably both in the bottom of the sink 3x a day.
North Arm and Grohmann are like the only cutlery manufacturers I know of in Canada. Someone should change that...

fatfrog fatfrog is that a HMG Southwest?

It frustrates and saddens me to no end with how people are ok with littering, as well as utter disregard for their actions. That tree that stood for a decade or two? Nobody else cut it down, gee, I wonder why? Just ignorant, arrogant, and egocentric. Boils my blood. Bah.

It's the HMG Icepack in 100% woven dyneema. It's tough as nails!

Someone cut down 7 trees to roast a turkey over a fire. They made tripods on either side of the fire out of 6 trees and the last tree was used to skewer the whole thing. When people called them out on it, their response was "My husband collected the trees from OUTSIDE the park. We wouldn't disrespect nature by cutting down trees in the park." Uhhh okay... whatever you say...

North Arm and Grohmann are like the only cutlery manufacturers I know of in Canada. Someone should change that...

There's also Elson Knives in Ontario. Haven't handled one of his knives but I did pick up a bunch of Ulticlips from his website. I saw a flyer for a Canadian knifemaker convention but didn't recognize most of the names (convention was cancelled due to Covid so I couldn't check it out).

There is always room. Canadians spend money on overpriced knives regularly.

I have to admit I prefer the pattern of the North Arm paring over the custom one wrt handle ergos and overall physical feel. The execution isn’t even comparable, Matt has way better steel, and fit and finish, but the handle just isn’t as good in the hand for my size. I’d be willing to upgrade, but NA does a good product at the price they ask.

Mine are also satin which they don’t offer AFAIK. Not sure why I like satin in my kitchen knives so much.

I have to admit I prefer the pattern of the North Arm paring over the custom one wrt handle ergos and overall physical feel. The execution isn’t even comparable, Matt has way better steel, and fit and finish, but the handle just isn’t as good in the hand for my size.

Couldn’t agree more. That parer is based on one my grandmother used for ages, and I always just figured that they must know better than me. It’s too long, and the spine is too straight, which makes all the rest not work, as well. I never use ours because of it, yet my wife uses it all the time and never seems to mind. ::shrug::

Always meant to revisit it, but the fact is that’s not where my passions drive me...

Good to see your’s is at least seeing SOME use, though. ;)

It's the HMG Icepack in 100% woven dyneema. It's tough as nails!

It sure is! I have the metro, the 3400 southwest in black dyneema, and the duffle. The metro is 7 years old, was used (and abused) daily, and it's still good to go. I do need to submit my measurements for a dyneema McHale; trying to discern what i require for hunting pack.

It sure is! I have the metro, the 3400 southwest in black dyneema, and the duffle. The metro is 7 years old, was used (and abused) daily, and it's still good to go. I do need to submit my measurements for a dyneema McHale; trying to discern what i require for hunting pack.

After punching a bunch of holes in other packs from ice tools, crampons, ice screws, etc., I watched a torture test of the woven dyneema fabric and was sold. This guy beat the shit out of a small piece - I honestly think this pack will last forever. The only regret was not getting it made in the 4400 size, which would really let us extend our winter trips. I'm tempted to ask HMG if they could send me a piece of it so I can extend the collar further if I ever needed greater carrying capacity.

McHale packs look sooooo nice! I heard they carry like a dream.

fatfrog fatfrog McHale really has no comparison; everything is outstanding. I really could not recommend them enough.

HGM is great for the price point. The black dyneema is thicker, and thus heavier, than the white, but I use it as my grip. It's held up great thus far. I do think I would've been better of with a 9.11 type with a million pockets as I have so many little work nicknacks to contend with. I make do, tho.

fatfrog fatfrog McHale really has no comparison; everything is outstanding. I really could not recommend them enough.

HGM is great for the price point. The black dyneema is thicker, and thus heavier, than the white, but I use it as my grip. It's held up great thus far. I do think I would've been better of with a 9.11 type with a million pockets as I have so many little work nicknacks to contend with. I make do, tho.

I was an as-simple-as-possible guy for the longest time because we used our packs for alpine/ice climbing and didn't want too much stuff on the outside that might get caught on stuff. Now that we hike more than climb, we got some ultralight packs (Superior Wilderness Designs and KS Ultralight) with exterior pockets and it's pretty sweet. I can finally store my waterbottle on the outside of the pack again! (I used to have to stop to retrieve my water from inside the pack).

JYDfZsD.jpg

Back