Photos! Post your CPK photos here!

Out doing some yard chores today. There has been a lot going on lately and it feels like Spring decided to do all of its growing shenanigans in just a few short weeks - my place feels like a jungle. Anyway, it's catchup time and I've got a familiar friend's bigger cousin on my belt this evening.

pRSVeKc.jpg

All plants were wild at some point, right? 🤔

All plants are derived from something wild but most of what we eat today share very little resemblance to anything occurring wild. For example, I think the strawberry was made by people by combining wild strawberries from different parts of the world and then selective breeding.

Asparagus is the same plant as other very different plants we eat (I'm wanting to say cabbage and Brussel sprouts?) and has been selectively bred into the different plants we know today.

I just looked it up, apparently asparagus is the same plant as Brussel sprouts, cauliflower, broccoli, cabbage and kale. <--- that's so wild. Well, not actually wild, domesticated? They are all brassica oleracea.

I've read that 3/5 of modern fruits and vegetables were devolved by the America Indians prior to 1492. Corn, potatoes, sweet potatoes, peppers, tomatoes, etc. Just think 500 years ago no tomatoes in Italian food, no peppers in Asian food. The nation of Ireland nearly starved to death because of a vegetable that grew for less than 100 years.

trevitrace trevitrace - Mark the place and time and next year, go a couple of weeks earlier .... then you have wild white asparagus :)

We had a row of asparagus in our yard when I grew up .... my mom harvested it in April/May every year. Ham and white asparagus, or asparagus, pork chops and Hollandaise ... Yum.

Which reminds me: she had an asparagus knife ... the asparagus would grow in a dry dirt mound, which would crack when the plant would break through the surface. She'd look for a surface crack, and cut the asparagus out, as long as possible. Her knife looked more like a crowbar than the one below, but you get the idea:

asparagus%20knife-L.jpg

White asparagus needs to be peeled, so it's more work than green one, but it's well worth it :) There are many asparagus fields in the Netherlands and all along the French and German border. Industrially, they keep a cover on when it breaks through, to keep the tips white.

DSCF4548-L.jpg

Trivia of the day :) And good morning everyone ....

Sadly, I haven’t had a chance to harvest, battle, or ponder wild asparagus yet. However, I was able to start manicuring a small Maple yesterday for a walking stick. My FK2 is killin’ it ! Touches up quite easily after an hour or so of hacking and whittling too. Now I truly understand the CPK hype and relish joining this community. I’m hooked!!!

Attachments

• 7B3AF823-E8CE-4B37-891B-DC98E7F93BAE.jpeg
    7B3AF823-E8CE-4B37-891B-DC98E7F93BAE.jpeg
    529.1 KB · Views: 9
  • D74F6D51-311E-4583-98AC-BE3FCD2FB930.jpeg
    D74F6D51-311E-4583-98AC-BE3FCD2FB930.jpeg
    696.3 KB · Views: 9
Back