Pic Request: broken fiskars axe/X-ray.

these axes seem really tough, and i'm curious what the head looks like under the handle, also wonder if anyone has ever managed to really break one.
Any input is appreciated, pics will get you free cookies.

a friend broke one of the medium ones , about 3 inches up from the head . you cant see much from the inside ,but it appears the handle goes thru the head just like a wooden handle. btw ,i have a large one and love it , have never heard of another one breaking.

I've broken one of the large splitting axes (i.e. don't use it to drive wedges). The handle on the one I broke was actually molded around the head as opposed to through any sort of eye. The head had a sort of channel all the way around (think parallel to the cutting edge) into which the handle was molded. Using it to drive wedges and the resulting shock caused the handle to split where it wraps around the top of the head. I took it back to Lowes/Home Depot (can't remember) and exchanged it for a chopping axe as they didn't have any more of the splitting axes.

The handle is injection moulded around the head. The best way to break one is to bend it sideways or as JC did hitting backwards.

TLM

Back