Pick 2 Challenge - I've lost my marbles.

Should I use my carry knife for ALL cutting tasks during the challenge?

• Yes

Votes: 44 43.1%
  • No

Votes: 20 19.6%
  • Yes, but not at restaurants.

Votes: 38 37.3%

• Total voters
Good thread. I look forward to following your progress.
I've contemplated downsizing dramatically but I'm unwilling to do so. In my early knife days, I carried only one knife and there was something of a bond. But there's no going back. Instead I've chosen to limit my collection. It's still way beyond the practical but the variety is appealing.

Added a poll. Should I also be allowed to use kitchen cutlery, utility knives, etc.

I should also note that I always carry a SAK along with my primary knife. It rarely gets used to cut though. Its primarily a screw driver, pry bar, nail file, etc.
I carried nothing but a Buck110 from the early 1970's for almost 20 years, until the blade looked more like an ice pick from all the sharpening.I still carry a 110 on occasion in my rotation but like you my primary edc is a SAK along with something in my rotation because of the other tools on that knife that have come in handy so many times.
6LWZh4j.jpg

....It was his knife. His only knife. Sure, maybe there's one in the tackle box or glove compartment that never gets used. Maybe one from Grampy in the attic somewhere. For all practical considerations though the dude just had one knife.

So, back to the conversation with my wife. I don't have a knife like that. A knife that's just mine. I have an heirloom piece and some knives that I inherited that aren't for sale, but I don't have one that's just mine. An extension on my arm that just wouldn't feel right to be without.

She speculated that because I have so damned many, a tiny number compared to some of you lunatics, I never feel a bond with any of them. Some I may like more than others. Some I prefer for certain tasks, but nothing that's just always there.

So she lays forth the challenge. Carry only two knives for the rest of the year. One for work and one for leisure time. After those many months of use we'll see if there's a bond there that wouldn't have been otherwise.
From a practical point of view, I have been participating in your challenge for the last 6 months or since I received the M390 Mini Cutjack (Steel Will) at the end of September 2017 along with my ever present SAK. Not going to commit to such a thing and certainly not for kitchen duty using the same knife.

I think your wife is on to something. Too many knives and no bond to any of them. I do have a "bond" to my SAK, the discontinued Vic Adventurer as I have been carrying it for over 10 years. Lost one of them (left it at a job site), but it was somewhat banged up and substituted a new one from my Adventurer reserve the same day. That felt really good to be able to give myself a brand new one to carry!

Years ago it was a Case jack knife (two blade) that never left my pocket. But a SAK pretty much replaced it. I wouldn't have sold you a favored knife either. I would rather have the knife than $100.

Added: I have been carrying a Leatherman Ps4 Squirt on each set of keys since Jack Knife and Marcinek turned me onto them over a year ago, probably a couple years at this point.

Last edited:
First two days are done and the Endura has of course been a joy to carry. I managed to get the Delica put together tonight so it'll be able to play relief this weekend.

20180413_221435.jpg

This kind of reminds me of these 2 threads:

An experiment, can I limit myself two modern folders?

and just recently...

One for looks, one for work...

Both are great reads for those who haven't seen them yet, and I have thought about trying this before as well. I'm with @Blues Bender - I could carry the ZDP Endura and never need anything else. I may want other knives, but I would never need another knife.

It's funny, but I remember back when I was a one-knife guy, and the only knife I had was a small micarta Sebenza with an Insingo blade. That was my knife, and I loved that thing. Then when the addiction started (and I do consider it an addiction!), that knife went by the wayside, as did numerous others that followed. I have never had a connection to a knife like that one, and I honestly believe that it's because that love is spread over so many other knives.

I really love the ZDP Endura, and I have a Hinderer Half Track coming. Depending on what that feels like, I might do my own version of this 2-knife year challenge.

Good luck, and keep us posted with some pics!

Last edited:
Your wife is a smart woman. Personally I think taking the time to “bond” with a knife is critical. I noticed when I went on a buying knife binge that if I didn’t give each knife it’s only exclusive carry time for at least a week then I wouldn’t feel as connected to it. I find it awesome to just have one or a couple knives that you carry all the time because 1. it becomes familiar and gives a level of comfort 2. there is indeed a bond with it when you share so many memories with it and 3. as you mentioned the cool factor an item gets when it’s well worn and used but taken care of. It’s just something special.

For all intents and purposes I’ve been doing this two knife challenge myself for about eight months now. It wasn’t a declared “challenge” personally but more along the lines of the natural evolution of things. My two knives are the Benchmade Bugout and a custom Benchmade Griptilian. In all honestly since I left my old job on the ambulance a month ago, I’ve only carried the Grip for a few hours and that was only because my Bugout was temporarily misplaced (seatbelt caught it and I found it clipped onto it). At present I have no real need for the Grip, but I’m still holding onto it in case I get back on the ambulance or something like that. All my other past knives I sold.

Two is working out well for me. Hope you do complete the challenge and develop that bond with the two knives through adventures and fond memories.

A knife you've carried, used, and depended on day to day becomes sort of like an old friend (if you want to give an object "human traits"). The nicks, scratches, perhaps a patina, and maybe a chipped blade that you almost completely fixed are all part of it.

So how long does it take to become attached to a new knife you are using when you have others? If it's your only knife, well... that is a different kind of situation. What does it take to push it out of your pocket?

I definitely think you need to use a knife to become attached to it. The ones that you bought and sit unused really aren't the same. You may like that new shiny CRK, but if you haven't used it, frankly it's just another trinket in your dresser drawer, desk or whatever. I like trinkets and gadgets whether I use them or not. But I'm not particularly attached to them.

I really started in earnest, buying knives a little over a year ago. With what I spent, I could have bought a small and large Sebenza, as well as a real nice GEC and still not spent nearly as much as I have on the 20 or so less expensive knives that I did buy. I suppose that is what I should have done, but what is the fun in that, I say. To quote a famous thespian, "I'm not a brilliant man".

I really started in earnest, buying knives a little over a year ago. With what I spent, I could have bought a small and large Sebenza, as well as a real nice GEC and still not spent nearly as much as I have on the 20 or so less expensive knives that I did buy. I suppose that is what I should have done, but what is the fun in that, I say. To quote a famous thespian, "I'm not a brilliant man".

“...but what is the fun in that, I say.”
Ha! Exactly. Enjoy the journey!

This actually parallels pretty well with this challenge. I sold off a bunch of knives last week, the rest of my usual rotation, in order to fund a project. I surely would've spent some more on other knives throughout the year though.

Since I wont be doing that now, I'm going to start a little savings fund on the side. Some petty cash that probably would've been spent on the knife hobby and the majority of funds raised from my sharpening venture.

I'll use it to buy something bananas at the end of the year and maybe start the journey over again next year.

I've wondered before how much money is lost in the buying, selling and trading of knives. Sure, they hold their value well and the loss is marginal on a resell, but compiled over 50 knives... Hell, I bet I could've bought a Sebenza with just the amount spent on shipping my trades last year.

20180415_192245.jpg

And then this shows up....

I thought I'd been forgotten, but no, @Sal Glesser was apparently just waiting for me to commit to not buying anymore knives before teasing me with this.

I've already chosen to only carry a pair of your knives for the year. Have mercy!

Thanks to @Blues Bender the PPT has been calling to me. Maybe I'll trade for one while they're floating around and put it aside. Can I do that you think? Or would that be too close to buying a new knife?

20180415_192245.jpg

And then this shows up....

I thought I'd been forgotten, but no, @Sal Glesser was apparently just waiting for me to commit to not buying anymore knives before teasing me with this.

I've already chosen to only carry a pair of your knives for the year. Have mercy!

Thanks to @Blues Bender the PPT has been calling to me. Maybe I'll trade for one while they're floating around and put it aside. Can I do that you think? Or would that be too close to buying a new knife?

Step away from the temptation. Pick up one of your knives or both and go do something fun or at least productive. Try out whittling. Show your child, spouse, roommate, whoever how to sharpen. Start tackling something on your to do list that requires a knife. Focus your thoughts and actions for the rest of the year on experiences instead of purchases.

A conversation got away from me and now I have no more knives...

Earlier today I was talking to my wife about knives. We met a guy who had an old Cold Steel. A serrated voyager XL I believe. Not the cool old Japanese ones with the molded clip, just a standard Taiwanese variant that you can still buy, but with TONS of mileage.

It was his knife. His only knife. Sure, maybe there's one in the tackle box or glove compartment that never gets used. Maybe one from Grampy in the attic somewhere. For all practical considerations though the dude just had one knife.

For giggles I made him an offer on it. $100. Told him I liked the beat-up look and feel. He could easily go buy a new one and have enough cash left for dinner. "Not a chance" he said. He liked the beat-up look and feel too apparently.

So, back to the conversation with my wife. I don't have a knife like that. A knife that's just mine. I have an heirloom piece and some knives that I inherited that aren't for sale, but I don't have one that's just mine. An extension on my arm that just wouldn't feel right to be without.

She speculated that because I have so damned many, a tiny number compared to some of you lunatics, I never feel a bond with any of them. Some I may like more than others. Some I prefer for certain tasks, but nothing that's just always there.

So she lays forth the challenge. Carry only two knives for the rest of the year. One for work and one for leisure time. After those many months of use we'll see if there's a bond there that wouldn't have been otherwise.

I'll post here along the way to show how the knives have worn in, if at all, and to check up on anyone that may want to join in.

To the end of the year is a good start. But it probably took him years to build that bond with his knife. You might not get there in eight months. But if you continue to carry it every day for another 10 to 20 years you almost certainly will.

O.B.

20180422_104752.jpg

Lazy Sunday carry. Still going strong. The Delica is starting to develop a bit of a patina. I see food duty more often.

I'm sure the Endura will catch up quickly though with the higher summer temps.

Good luck OP.

Gayle Bradley 1 comes out on top
for Primary.
And a SAK Super Tinker is second.

Back