Picking a Randall for military use (pilot)

I have several Randalls, 14 and 15 were my thoughts to put on my armor when I was going to the sand. Opted for the 15 as the 14 was simply too large, not enough real estate for it and would have drawn too much attention. I put the 15 into a Spec Ops sheath and went. Served me well.

I did tape the handle up to make the brass less noticeable while also making the knife look less desirable if a thief crossed my path. I would suggest you have your name put on it, especially if you have a child to hand it down to, I didn't do anything but last name so they can also take it and go.

I have several Randalls, 14 and 15 were my thoughts to put on my armor when I was going to the sand. Opted for the 15 as the 14 was simply too large, not enough real estate for it and would have drawn too much attention. I put the 15 into a Spec Ops sheath and went. Served me well.

I did tape the handle up to make the brass less noticeable while also making the knife look less desirable if a thief crossed my path. I would suggest you have your name put on it, especially if you have a child to hand it down to, I didn't do anything but last name so they can also take it and go.

I did end up going with the 15 for the same reasons. By the sound of it I may have to fight with the guys in the vest shop a bit to get it on my vest... trying to tell me a little spyderco was an adequate knife.. lol

Specops sheath? Is that a brand? I plan on have my first initial and last name put on.

If you wear a molle compatable vest, you can use molle connectors for it.. I carried one on my LBE, but I used the old alice clips on it after a little modification along with using ranger bands (cut up rubber strips from a bicycle tube).. It worked great and when we were issued molle capable vests, I was so loaded down with required equipment that I went to one of my custom bowies with the kydex sheath. Let me know what kinda vest you are wearing and issued, I might be able to help you rig it for your needs

The Spec-Op's sheaths are a solid option, worth consideration. I haven't had time to take a photo of my knife yet, but it sounds like the choice was made. :thumbsup:

Still would love to see your knife! I broke down and bought another winkler as well.. he was pretty quick on the last knife he made me so we’ll see how fast his turn around is on whether I buy another Randall also... wife will kill me

Can’t remember the exact designation of our vest, we have a whole shop that works on them for us. Apparently we’re getting new vests with less space, I’ll figure a spot for it. Can’t believe one of them told me to make due with a spyderco delica

"
Who’s the maker? Is it kydex? Does look as if it would strap into my vest ok.
Maker is Spec-Ops.
Yes, KYDEX.
Full description: "Features & Benefits: Fully adjustable utility / tool pouch. "550-cord" tie-down and leg-loop rigging. Unique "MULTI-FIT" KYDEX liner securely holds most blade widths and thicknesses (removable for cleaning). Tie-down loops on underside. Web loop at bottom for tie-down to packs, leg-loop, etc. Extra durability with double-layered 1000D Cordura fabric used throughout. Mil-spec. Grommet tie-downs along sides of sheath body. Jump-ready with redundant tie-down for knife handle and additional secure-down points along body and backside of sheath. • 100% Made In The U.S.A. - GUARANTEED FOR LIFE! Available in assorted colors."
(I have them in 2 sizes--one fits Randall 15, as shown in picture above, the other fits Randall 14.)
-Steve

"
Maker is Spec-Ops.
Yes, KYDEX.
Full description: "Features & Benefits: Fully adjustable utility / tool pouch. "550-cord" tie-down and leg-loop rigging. Unique "MULTI-FIT" KYDEX liner securely holds most blade widths and thicknesses (removable for cleaning). Tie-down loops on underside. Web loop at bottom for tie-down to packs, leg-loop, etc. Extra durability with double-layered 1000D Cordura fabric used throughout. Mil-spec. Grommet tie-downs along sides of sheath body. Jump-ready with redundant tie-down for knife handle and additional secure-down points along body and backside of sheath. • 100% Made In The U.S.A. - GUARANTEED FOR LIFE! Available in assorted colors."
(I have them in 2 sizes--one fits Randall 15, as shown in picture above, the other fits Randall 14.)
-Steve

Looks like a good user sheath, I’m going to look around and see if I can get anyone to make me a lined kydex sheath similar to Winkler’s amazing sheaths. Such a beautiful knife deserves as equal of a sheath.

Don't remember who made these felt lined Kydex sheaths back in the 90's, Brigade Quartermaster or similar. Sold the sheath, kept the knife; shoulda kept the sheath too, it was cool. Shown on page 153 of my Randall Knives reference book (out of print)...

16-7 Kydex.jpg

Don't remember who made these felt lined Kydex sheaths back in the 90's, Brigade Quartermaster or similar. Sold the sheath, kept the knife; shoulda kept the sheath too, it was cool. Shown on page 153 of my Randall Knives reference book (out of print)...

View attachment 911699
Gorgeous blade! Yeah I think Winkler makes the best sheaths around, I’ve tried talking him into making me a sheath for a larger Bowie I have but to no avail. I’m going to keep looking, have plenty of time.

Hey Melvin, grabbed myself my dream bowie while waiting for my model 15.

My first Randall: 12-13
WtAtAtP
VX8FLbm

The owner didn't know what year it was made, he said because of the sheath it would be after 1995? Do you have any knowledge to support this? It's in great shape, currently making stand for it.

12-13%201_zpsofemhwva.jpg

12-13_zpso11sofoa.jpg

Well, look at you, Jack! :cool:

Those snaps were introduced on 1/1/95, so if the sheath is original to the knife, then yes, it's no older than that. Cool knife. Not many RMK Thorp Bowie's are made, about one a month is what I believe the current Randall Shop Foreman once told me, and even fewer done up as nicely as yours. :thumbsup:

Well, look at you, Jack! :cool:

Those snaps were introduced on 1/1/95, so if the sheath is original to the knife, then yes, it's no older than that. Cool knife. Not many RMK Thorp Bowie's are made, about one a month is what I believe the current Randall Shop foreman once told be, and even fewer done up as nicely as yours. :thumbsup:

Thanks for the reply Melvin! Yeah I love the knife. It’s in stellar condition, wish I knew the year it was made the dealer I bought it from didn’t know. It’s now the prize of my collection!

I always wondered how those big ones felt in hand. I never got around to ordering one. It would make some great art on a desk.

Don't think I would want to carry it though!

I always wondered how those big ones felt in hand. I never got around to ordering one. It would make some great art on a desk.

Don't think I would want to carry it though!

It’s a short sword for sure, as far as in a knife category goes it’s surely the one I’d choose for a knife duel. It’s lighter than some of my other large knives, has great balance too.

I’d never carry it either, I’m currently building a display stand to put it on the shelf with Raymond Thorp’s bowie book!

Good choice on the 15. I personally carried my Model on my Last Iraq deployment. Carried it on my Belt and sometimes on my chest. Worked fine either way. I have owned a few 15s and they will work fine. You do know I can use your military ID and get the standard 1,2,14,15,16sp in I think like 9-12 weeks from Randall

Good choice on the 15. I personally carried my Model on my Last Iraq deployment. Carried it on my Belt and sometimes on my chest. Worked fine either way. I have owned a few 15s and they will work fine. You do know I can use your military ID and get the standard 1,2,14,15,16sp in I think like 9-12 weeks from Randall

The 15 does seem like the answer to me. I do know about their military program, but working around the ocean environment one of my main requirements was for it to be stainless. I attempted talking them into giving me one over the phone but it ended up unsuccessful. So instead I ordered one through a 3rd party which will be a little more special but now I have to wait til March.

Back