Picking out new Randalls... Post pics/suggestions here!

Mr. Gutcher will likely be getting some business from me as soon as I turn 21 (I think a Ruger Redhawk/ Mod 14 would go beautifully together on a pistol rig). I am still in the dark as to what all of these things look like, especially the nylon sheath that Randall offers.

I have pretty much decided to go with the Little Bear, but I can't decide on handle configurations. I know that the practical thing would be the black micarta/ nickle silver configuration mentioned earlier (it would match my Mod 2-8, too). Yet I am still drawn toard something more distinctive, perhaps a polished stag or ironwood handle. I believe that I am going to have all of the knives made in stainless, because (users or not) I want my knives to be free extensive rust problems.

One more thing regarding sheaths: are Randall sheaths jump rated? I ahve ehard that NO elather sheaths are allowed in jump-ready units, but the sheath on my Mod 14 is at least as trustworthy as the one on my dad's Recon Tanto. What gives?

If you're interested, go to http://blade-tech.com/ , Online store, then Custom Items. At the bottom you'll find Custom Knife Sheaths. Talk to them about a custom sheath that must be jump certified and let them know all of the requirements. They may need the knife to get an exact fit. Can't hurt to ask. IMO your #14 would be a good candidate.

Stilleto, start The Corps.

Just kidding!! But you never know where an old grad will show up. Company E-3, Class of 88, currently a company commander in 10th SFG(A) and pissed off that I'm not deployed yet.

A little input to your questions. I carry a standard #14. It's a great knife but it's heavy as hell, a factor that will become important to you if you go light infantry. One of my team leaders has a #16 and it's also a great knife, but I don't like the half guard on it. The #1-7 is a great knife too. You'll find you use your leatherman or Gerber multi-tool more than anything though.

Re stainless vs carbon steel, mine is tool steel and it has an amazingly durable and sharp edge. However, I just returned from a month in Austria doing high alpine training and I had some problems with rust when I sheathed the knife with snow on it. Getting my frozen arse bedded down in the snow cave was just more important than oiling the knife. Your instincts are right - in combat you will want a knife that doesn't need to be pampered, so go with stainless. Or what the hell, get both and try them out in training.

A leather sheath is a No Go for jumping, even one as fine as the SHS sheaths supplied by Randall. There are no regulations that I know of, but I most jumpmasters wouldn't pass you on JMPI. A kydex sheath is easy to make yourself or have custom made for you, and is more functional in the field.

Saw teeth are silly IMO. They would need to be offset (bent to left and right like a real saw) to work well anyways. The #14 will chop through anything you need it to. There are plenty of existing holes on any helo you will ride, and I can't imagine an emergency situation where you would have time to saw through an aircraft skin.

Ignore considerations of resale value. If you carry the knife through IOBC, Ranger school, and a few years in the field with an infantry outfit, it will be mauled up pretty bad and nobody will want to buy it anyways. Oh, and dummy cord it to your LCE or you will lose it.

The Corps, the Corps, the Corps.

The Corps bareheaded, salute it, with eyes up...

Sir, I appreciate the input a lot. A lot of people talk about comabt/utility knives, but the CO of a SF unit is pretty well beyond the experience level of most forumites.

I got the 14 with the intention of using it as my primary C/U knife, and I think I can handle the weight. I will probably go Armor (big guns, big fun), but plan to get Airborne, Air Assault and posibly Rangercertified (I am 6'3", 235 so you might guess that running isn't really my strong suit.)

I am a backpacker, though, so I know what you mean about weight. My next deployment is going to be to BuckNam and they won't let me take my big knives with me, so the field testing is going to have to wait.

I, sir, am a Cowboy. Despite being on the sixth floor of Mac Short, I love it here.

Goooooo Cowboys! Fired up C-4! Yeee-haaaaa! You know it!

If you ever get time to come back to the old Alma Mater, let me know and you can give me a personal haze session. :D

Stiletto, glad to answer your questions. I'll send you an e-mail. And drop the Sir, it's not necessary.

I never liked the 4th class system anyways. Thought it was a bunch of bullshit that taught all the wrong lessons about leadership.

Back