Pics and initial impressions of my gunknifenut knife. An instant classic!

When I first saw our very own GKN post some blades that he had made and was going to start selling, I knew the exact one that I wanted. As soon as he got his knifemaker title, I contacted him about buying it. I'm also proud to be his first "real" customer! The uber-stoutness and overall Scandi meets old west look of the knife really appealed to me. With the forging marks left on the blade, nicely blued fittings, leather spacers, and hickory handle, it looks like something a viking mountain man would have carried. I got it out this past weekend to play with and take some glamor shots, and I was really impressed.

He made a bomber leather sheath that fits perfectly snug and keeps with the whole style of the knife

The broad oval handle is really comfortable and secure

Came with a razor sharp convex edge

I dig the peened pommel!

Blade starts out about 1/4" thick with a very gentle taper leaving lots of steel at the tip

This was some rock hard dried wood, but it bit in nicely

Making shavings and some tip drilling

Notching

Super comfortable handle

Gene was cool to deal with and sent me lots of updates as he was finishing it up. He makes a tank of a knife that cuts well and is fun to use. I also can't keep from playing with it at home because it's just so damn cool! More woods time to come...

Just more pics, cuz I took a lot!

I like this one, it looks straight of an old school blacksmiths shop

WOW. Thanks man. I love seeing these pics, makes me really happy to see it in your hands, being used. Great feeling. This more than anything else makes knife making something that I am going to pursue with all I have.
Thanks Thayne
Gene

This is my fav too. Very much up my alley...Gene, we should talk...

:)
Back to the forge for me huh?
LOL
I have two hidden tangs that are around 1/8" thick that I am working on now, one is a straight up puukko, and the other is more like an old straight blade Kabar..these are both getting leather washer handles, I think.

Another tank like this one, is something I would love to do again, but it will be a month or two, I have several knives that I have in my head, that I just have to get out...or they might cut something important in there.

ON a side note, this is my favorite knife too...maybe ever. Just about all you could want in a woods knife.

Really nice pics T, and great looking knife Gene! I love the old world look to it, The hilt and pommel work are really nice touches, and that grain goes really well with that piece to. I love the forged blade and hammer marks. Nicely done!

I know Gene Personally

HE is an Excellent man to deal with and you can trust him 110%

Sincerely

Dr.Bill

:)
Back to the forge for me huh?
LOL
I have two hidden tangs that are around 1/8" thick that I am working on now, one is a straight up puukko, and the other is more like an old straight blade Kabar..these are both getting leather washer handles, I think.

Another tank like this one, is something I would love to do again, but it will be a month or two, I have several knives that I have in my head, that I just have to get out...or they might cut something important in there.

ON a side note, this is my favorite knife too...maybe ever. Just about all you could want in a woods knife.

Cool, let me know. I'm in no hurry. Lord knows I have PLENTY of knives around here to play with these days.

I know Gene Personally

HE is an Excellent man to deal with and you can trust him 110%

Sincerely

Dr.Bill

I have never met Gene in person, but I have done business with the man and all transactions have gone super smooth with no hiccups at all.

Cool, let me know. I'm in no hurry. Lord knows I have PLENTY of knives around here to play with these days.

Funny how for some of us the WANTS stick around long after the NEEDS have been met :)

That said I do not have a traditional puukko, so I suppose I still need one of those ;)

Thanks for all the kind words Gents, it means the world to me, to see something I made, being used. What can I say, I am a worker Bee, and love tools of all sorts..and to me, the knife is the original.
I am pulling "almost" doubles at my day job as a trim carpenter, and I don't have much steam left when I get home..but it's paying the bills. I will get crazy on the knives this weekend.
I am thinking since folks like this one, I might roll out the anvil and make a couple Saturday, and then pick back up on some others that I have going.
I am really enjoying making different knives right now, stretching my creative joints, so to speak. So I don't think I am ready to get stuck on one genre just yet...but I do love puukko's the most myself, so this is an easy one to have fun making.
As for my knives, I am trying very hard to use as little power tools as is possible. I really like using my files and stones to finish the blades...and it is all the rave right now, being "green"...so forgive my rough look on some that I present, I promise they will still cut stuff just fine.
Anyways, thanks again to TKnife for this awesome photo shoot...I am stoked.

I really look forward to seeing the designs you have in your head come to life. I love seeing makers make what they want as well, not just necessarily cranking out the same pattern. But I could definitely see you doing more in this same type of style as it's just plain useful and cool to boot!

Good looking knife, for sure. I like seeing knives like these. Not beauty queens sitting in a safe, but good looking workhorses. Those are the real 'beauty queens'

Thanks for all the kind words Gents, it means the world to me, to see something I made, being used. What can I say, I am a worker Bee, and love tools of all sorts..and to me, the knife is the original.
I am pulling "almost" doubles at my day job as a trim carpenter, and I don't have much steam left when I get home..but it's paying the bills. I will get crazy on the knives this weekend.
I am thinking since folks like this one, I might roll out the anvil and make a couple Saturday, and then pick back up on some others that I have going.
I am really enjoying making different knives right now, stretching my creative joints, so to speak. So I don't think I am ready to get stuck on one genre just yet...but I do love puukko's the most myself, so this is an easy one to have fun making.
As for my knives, I am trying very hard to use as little power tools as is possible. I really like using my files and stones to finish the blades...and it is all the rave right now, being "green"...so forgive my rough look on some that I present, I promise they will still cut stuff just fine.
Anyways, thanks again to TKnife for this awesome photo shoot...I am stoked.

Cool,

Let me know...

That is one tough looking knife! I'm gonna have to hang around to see hat else Mr Gene comes up with.

Well done to the both of you!

Back