Handle:Black Linen Micarta

See more knives on my website at www.angelfire.com/on2/griffithknives

------------------
Lynn Griffith-Tactical Knifemaker
Winner of "Best Tactical Knife" at 1999 PKA show
My website
See my award winning "Spec Ops Tanto" in Gallery 3 of my website
GriffithKN@aol.com

Is it just me, or does the handle to blade ration seem a bit off? It seems as if the handle is too narrow to support such a large blade.
Probly just my imagination again....

Personally, I think THIS one is particularly nasty!!!
Sliver.jpg

wink.gif

[This message has been edited by Fireprez (edited 01 September 1999).]

Is it just me, or does the handle to blade ration seem a bit off? It seems as if the handle is too narrow to support such a large blade.

Visually, you may be right. You hold that knife in your hand, I believe, that you will feel differently. The bowie is only about 12 ounces. Yet still extremely strong because of the steel choice, and the flat grind.

Thank you very much for complement on my Sliver. Jerry Oksman was right when he said it must have a b*tch to grind. I ground it, and it was.

------------------
My website
GriffithKN@aol.com

Saw your page and liked the Wharncliff one called `Sniper' but didn't find a price on your list page?

That Sliver, that's for opening letters, right?

G2

------------------
It ain't those parts of the Bible that I can't understand that bother me,
it is the parts that I do understand.
Mark Twain

www.geocities.com/Yosemite/Cabin/7306/blades.html

Saw your page and liked the Wharncliff one called `Sniper' but didn't find a price
Gary,
The price is next to the pictures on my page. Any way, the price on the "Sniper" as is seen on my website with black linen micarta is $150. I actually have one of these in stock. Delivery time, if I did not have it in stock would be 3 months. Let me know, if you would like to avoid the wait, and order now.
If not, I still appreciate that you like it.
Thanks

------------------
My website
GriffithKN@aol.com

I was enjoying your site, but found it awkward that I needed to search into the "about the maker" section to find out what steel you were using. Since this is such important info, perhaps you might consider putting it on the pages with the knives and their other specs/materials?

Some background info on the pieces would also be interesting. I see at least one piece is designed by someone else - who is he, and how did he come to collaborate with you on the pattern? Other knives are indicated as being used/designed by Special Operations Groups. Which ones, and for what purposes? This sort of info could "flesh out" a very nice but slightly stark presentation.

Just my $0.02

-Drew

Drew,
Thank you for your comments. I work on my site, daily, between working on knives. I am constantly trying to improve it. I was not aware, that I only had ATS-34 mentioned on my About the Maker page. I will fix that.
I try to have vital stats on knives, by the pictures. I have avoided having to much. You are right though, that a little more would be better. I will work on that.
Jerry Oksman is a New Yorker, that posted a very nice review of the Sliver, on this forum. He ordered the Sliver wanting something that he could , not only use as a defensive knife, but also for cutting sushi for fellow pit crew members. He has described to me how perfect of a suit knife it makes. And that he uses it for stabbing olives for his martinis. Jerry, is like you and me, a working class (non-celebrity) person. I gave mention of his name, as a thank you to him, for the help in the design, and his very nice reveiw. Jerry is the type of person, that a few words on a web page, could not do just to.
The Special Operations Serious are the knives on the Spec Ops page. These knives are larger than most I make, and are built for larger cutting needs (bush, trees, defense).
My largest customer base, is made up of police officers, and individuals in the US military. I recieve lots of feed back, from all of my customers.
Drew, I would be happy to talk to you about any of my models, and there designs and uses. If you would like, you can call me anytime (10am-9pm central) to discuss them. My phone # is on my web page at www.angelfire.com/on2/griffithknives

------------------
My website
GriffithKN@aol.com

I helped design the "Sliver" and I enjoy it very much. It's ATS34 and is labeled so on the otherside of the blade, under the "Griffith" name.

If your wearing jeans it's easy enough to carry a knife, but in a suit... well it's a specialized condition. I wanted a small fixed blade or a long neck knife, bigger than the usual crop of neck knives (although I've got a MNK-2 [mini neck knife type 2] on order with Lynn also) but small enough to make carry convenient. First rule is "in order to use it you've got to have it!" So it's got to be so enjoyable to carry that it's just second nature to take it along. Most knives I find don't carry well in suits, too heavy or too bulky. That's why the compromise between small size/weight and large enough size for effective use.

From it's shape you can deduce that it's primarily a stabbing weapon, but it's got enough blade to make it useful. I wouldn't want to make a full meal with it, but it could be done, and it makes a hell of a garnish knife.

It's flat profile makes it easy to conceal and with a paddle attached to the kydex sheath I hang it upside-down from my inside suit jacket pocket. Highly invisible and right at hand. A very comfortable handle is the crowning touch. It's a black rag micarta that shows it's "growth rings" in white for a final grey color.

The bead blast finish is to reduce night visiblity and as I side benefit I find that when stabbing olives it grips them quite well, the increasing taper helps too.

I guess you can tell I like it! Anything else you'd like to know?

------------------
~ JerryO ~

[This message has been edited by JerryO (edited 02 September 1999).]

A very comfortable handle is the crowning touch. It's a black rag micarta that shows it's "growth rings" in white for a final grey color.

Jerry,
Thank you very much. The handle is actually black linen micarta. It is the same you see on a lot of knives. The diffence is in the way I shape the handle, to bring out the illusion of a pattern. Micarta's layers are flat, so I grind into them at differnt angle and curvatures to expose the pattern, and optimize the grip.

------------------
My website
GriffithKN@aol.com

It seems unusual to me that some of your tactical knives have their scales secured only by two thin pins (look like 5/32"?), I would rather expect to see bolts in this application. Have you ever had problems with the scales coming loose? Or maybe you use some sort of super-adhesive to secure them?

Alex.

I have never had a single customer complaint or problem with my handles. The main purpose of the pins, is to prevent side movement. The adhesive prevents the handles from moving outward. Also, the pins, are peened (spread out at the ends) This would keep the handles from coming off even with out the epoxy.

Hope this answers your questions.

------------------
My website
GriffithKN@aol.com

Thanks for the price on the Sniper, the pic I saw was on Chris of Top of Texas Knives, when I went to your page the Sniper isn't there?

I'll have to wait a bit, as I've recently overspent, oh well...

G2

------------------
It ain't those parts of the Bible that I can't understand that bother me,
it is the parts that I do understand.
Mark Twain

www.geocities.com/Yosemite/Cabin/7306/blades.html

Gary,
Anytime is fine. I usually have something in stock. Usually people tend to want to order something that is not (in stock that is).

I appreciate it, that you like my knives.

Thanks

------------------
My website
GriffithKN@aol.com

Folks, I highly recommend the Sniper. I handled one in St. Charles, Missouri ( I was the big wierdo with the long hair, Lynn
smile.gif
) and it was too kewl. Came close to buying that one for my fiancee to carry but I'm a poor college student so I had to pass. Beautiful, featherweight little knife though!

------------------
"Iron Discipline is essential in acquiring proper truth-handling abilities. Neglect it and suffer. Thus endeth the lesson."
Master Warren Rowland

Folks, I highly recommend the Sniper. I handled one in St. Charles, Missouri
I will be back to the knife show in St. Charles, in December. Hope to see you there, again.
Beautiful, featherweight little knife though!
Here is a picture of the knife he is referring to, the "Sniper".
Sniper.jpg

------------------
My website
GriffithKN@aol.com

[This message has been edited by Lynn Grififth Knives (edited 02 September 1999).]

Here is a picture of another of my most popular models. Check my website, to see more.
lghunterbm.jpg

------------------
My website
GriffithKN@aol.com

Hey Lynn,
Can you tell me how I can get one of those Spec Ops Bowies? They look very nice!
wink.gif

------------------
~Greg~

Hey Lynn,
Can you tell me how I can get one of those Spec Ops Bowies? They look very nice!
Greg,
Thanks. I know you must like it. Why else would you have ordered one? LOL.
Did you check out the SOS Chopper?

I think I may steal your name. Kodiak, would be a cool knife name. Let me know what you think of that. It would be on a future model. Maybe a new "Special Operations" Model. Maybe after you get you SOS Bowie, you can help me design a "SOS Kodiak"

------------------
My website
GriffithKN@aol.com

[This message has been edited by Lynn Grififth Knives (edited 08 September 1999).]

Back