picture request: 102 next to a 112

Wildcat

Gold Member
looking at a 102 for my next purchase. it seems tiny compared to 110. can i get a pic next to a 112?

thanks

view

This might give another helpful reference. 102, 117, 119, &120

Last edited:
Not knowing when enough is enough I'll have a go :
"That's not a Buck 112. THIS is a Buck 112"
Just kidding. Sand papered the canvas scales with 60 grit. It's a must.
and is that a sheath ! Or is that a SHEATH ! I mean look at how robust that edge spacer is !
I've wanted a 102 since ~ 1982. Finally got one last year just to have.
This is the 102 with the 5160 blade. I love the subtle red micarta spacers between the brass components !
IMG_5956.JPG

Hope nobody took that seriously the 102 is probably the best bird and trout knife ever made.

I’ll try to get a picture next to a 212 for comparison. The 212 is my favorite for daily carry. At least today it is.

The handle on the 102 is to small for me and my hands aren’t big. Maybe if it was a half inch longer it would be okay because my fingers felt crammed together. I went with the 117 and it’s just right. Not to big and not to small with only 1/2 inch more blade length. I always considered the 102 as a youth or ladies knife for small hands.

Hope nobody took that seriously the 102 is probably the best bird and trout knife ever made.

Exactly.

And on birds and trout you are using fine motor skills and you don't grasp the knife with the whole hand.......it's controlled very carefully with the thumb and index and middle fingers.

Precision work.........not chopping wood.

:D

Exactly.

And on birds and trout you are using fine motor skills and you don't grasp the knife with the whole hand.......it's controlled very carefully with the thumb and index and middle fingers.

Precision work.........not chopping wood.

:D
I agree about fine motor skills but that depends on personal preference as I have other bird and trout knives of similar size but the shape and conformity are more to my liking and I still might need to grasp the handle for a bit heavier task aside from cleaning fish and birds. I guess I could grind off the pommel on a 102 to suit my hand but then it would be a odd duck. Lol

Yes, there are many shapes of hands and knives and some work for some and not for others.

But the 102 has been a fine performer for many of us for over half a century.

I'm probably the only one who wishes they made an even smaller one, I love my extra small Queen 85 and would love a little clip point Buck this size.
Call me crazy, but this is the size I'm after. Might seem too small to some but I just love this size fixed blade, of course a Buck would fill the hand a bit better than the dainty grip of this 1920's Queen.

The 102 woodsman seems great, but the canted blade puts me off and the 117 mini special just looks better because the blade isn't canted.
I'll probably just have to get one anyways at some point and probably grow to love it.

Last edited:
The 102 woodsman seems great, but the canted blade puts me off and the 117 mini special just looks better because the blade isn't canted.
I'll probably just have to get one anyways at some point and probably grow to love it.

Not crazy about it either but the blade isn't really canted, the cutting edge appears to be parallel with the handle, just the spine rises, you could easily take the rise off the spine with a sander.

Not crazy about it either but the blade isn't really canted, the cutting edge appears to be parallel with the handle, just the spine rises, you could easily take the rise off the spine with a sander.

Yeah not the whole blade, but the spine and it throws me off. I could straighten the spine but then the knife would appear to taper towards the tip which would look even weirder probably.
The knife would just have to grow on me, didn't like the looks of the bolsters of the 55 compared to the 110 and that knife quickly grew on me for sure.

Probably would, I love the bolsters on the 55 and 111. So much so I ground them into a 501, the 55 is just to small for me.

thanks for all the pics. its always nice to to see yalls knives.

ive been gravitating to smaller knives. last year i processed two deer with my large copperlock and wetterlings hatchet. can i say copperlock in this forum?:D this year its going to be all buck knives though plus the wetterlings. at least until i can procure a 106.

Back