Picture thread

I've done two Dejavoo frame lock conversions both somewhere in my forum here, one full size and one smaller one.

Please start your own thread for new topics. This is my picture thread and I'd prefer not having a derail to this thread going off on a different subject if its all the same with you. Since your question has nothing to do with posting pictures of work I did for you please do that for me.

Thank you.

STR

I've got an STR... I'll post some pics of it on here this evening. You are, in my exceedingly humble opinion, doing your best work right now, Boss... I still have the "Oklahoma Toothpick" blade from the "early days" of your work. It's amazing to look at these and see the progress you've made.

Couldn't have asked for a more talented Big Brother, could I? :)

Well well, what a surprise. Thanks for your thoughts. Let me introduce you to my youngest brother Joe chiming in to see his dear ole long lost brother folks.

Welcome JR. I'm not even picturing the knife you are talking about but thats not surprising considering I'd have to give great thought to what I had for dinner yesterday! :D You've had a few knives come your way as I recall. Rob has some too hiding in a drawer or three, or knowing him a backpack. Can't remember all of em though til I see them. Seems you got the first folder I ever did too using an old cross cut saw blade as I recall. Post away lil J. It will make me appreciate the place I'm at now compared to then to see where I've been. I just posted some new work as of late in my blog if you want to check it out. Let me know if you have trouble posting the pics. We'll get it done somehow.

STR

Apparently there is a need for this because I get asked a lot for pictures of my low rider clips on folders and some say they have trouble finding them on my forum and I guess some members can't use the search function so I'll post what I can here for you as I think of it. These here are from various production folders I've done clips on over time for people but if you have a clip done by me post it up for folks especially some from 08 because I had a crash a while back and lost a lot of my documents. I'll make this a sticky thread and put it here always at the top of the page somewhere for folks so they can find it easily.

A little info. My low rider and standard style clips are 6Al-4V titanium in .045 thickness. I usually need the knives to do one for you, not always but often. Sometimes if I own a knife using the same pocket clip as your model you can measure the distance from the middle of the two widest set screws to the tail end of the folder and I can fold one over and mail it to you but without actually having the folder in hand I cannot guarantee the fit. Whenever possible I try to use the existing holes in the folder as it came from the factory to fit my clip unless I'm asked specifically to modify the folder by say flipping the clip from tip down to tip up carry on one that did not come with holes for that mode of carry already placed in the folder. The best way to fit them is to actually fit each one to the knife its being made to go on. I realize that being without your everyday carry knife can be hard even for a short period of time but it is the best way to assure the optimum performance out of your clip.

If you post a picture or two, please try to verify before leaving that your picture is not a 'red x' and that it actually loaded. Also, I would prefer for the folks viewing here not used to navigating the forums that you keep the size of your pictures down so it doesn't off center the entire page by posting super sized pictures. I'd prefer we don't have to scroll sideways to read if its all the same with you guys. I'd also ask that if you use a third party site to post them that you keep in mind those can self terminate over time so come back and visit sometime and check on it. Besides I like visitors. :D

Please, ask a question or two in a new thread not here folks. This is a picture thread for folks needing or wanting to know what they'll be getting not one I want getting full of a question and answer sessions back and forth that takes away from the original topic of pictures for potential customers so while you're visiting you can start a new topic while hanging and post your questions in your own new thread to keep this one flowing and staying on topic. :thumbup:.

Thanks

STR

Attachments

• MiniSkirmishsouthpawclip.jpg
    MiniSkirmishsouthpawclip.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 878
  • New%20and%20improved%20low%20rider%20for%20BenchMades.jpg
    New%20and%20improved%20low%20rider%20for%20BenchMades.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 1,120
  • Purple%20Low%20Rider%20001.jpg
    Purple%20Low%20Rider%20001.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 1,188
Last edited:
Here are a few more. Ok some of these are not low rider clips because I don't always get requests for that so some I do are standard style like seen a lot in the industry. I generally allow myself a bit of artistic freedom free handing these from time to time and of course some request color anodizing of the titanium which is all I use anymore for my clips. The most popular colors seem to be khaki and blue jean blue colors along with a dark brown but I don't think all of these colors combined add up to the bead blasted finish which is most often preferred and seems to be the most durable.

One of these here is showing my STR logo. This is the only one I've done this way to my knowledge and at the request of the person asking for the clip on his Kabar Dozier folder. Normally I put that on the underside out of sight just like I do on my conversions by hiding it inside where it can't be seen. Most of these were signed solely for my own reference so in case I see the folder again one day down the road. This way I can tell at a glance if I did it or not because often times after a few years you just don't remember things. Anyway, I prefer to keep my signature hidden but as you can see I have been talked into showing it at least once.

You can see what the folder in the picture is if you don't know from looking and do that by simply placing your mouse arrow over the picture. The Kabar Dozier is the middle one here in this post.

STR

Attachments

• DSCF0011.jpg
    DSCF0011.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 753
  • Jon Tallman BladeTech Rijbak closed with low rider.jpg
    Jon Tallman BladeTech Rijbak closed with low rider.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 739
Last edited:
Couple more for you here.

Now sometimes as in the case of a lot of smaller knives its worth pointing out again here that low riders and lanyard holes don't often go together quite well. Unlike when you are building a custom folder when you can position things where you need them to make it all work, on a production folder things are already there set in place and you have to work around the way its laid out. This is not always possible so you often times have to decide, "do I want the low rider more or the lanyard?" Once you make up your mind you then act because like shown here on the Lava the lanyard can be fully or partially blocked on some models.

I have received several contacts about mounting clips to Swiss Army Knives. "SAK" for short. Well, I don't enjoy it. Not all are possible but ones like these aluminum models have been done although I prefer to avoid working on these for the most part unless I don't have a lot going on.

STR

Attachments

• ParaMil_001 (Medium).jpg
    ParaMil_001 (Medium).jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 724
  • Ti tip down Para mil or Mil low riders BB.jpg
    Ti tip down Para mil or Mil low riders BB.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 529
Some others I had easily retrieved for this thread.

STR

Attachments

• Tops folder low rider installed.jpg
    Tops folder low rider installed.jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 463
Last edited:
Ok here are just a few more and that about wipes my hard drive of all I could find to load up so any others are up to you guys. :thumbup: Thanks for your help in advance. ;)

Some have asked me why I often need the knives. The answer is in the last picture posted. Note the overhang. This is what can happen just as easily as not getting it quite sitting right with the opposite effect because I don't know exactly where to make the fold over on the clip blank when I heat it to make it into a low rider style clip. The result is a clip that either under scores the mark or overhangs off the end.

Keep in mind that there is another post that is a sticky here for low rider clips with all the order instructions and more worth reading also. Ok folks> the thread is yours to add to now. Thanks

STR

Attachments

• Dozier knife with STR lowrider 3.jpg
    Dozier knife with STR lowrider 3.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 422
Anyone that owned one of the early Endura's and Delica's know that the integrated clip did not get along with seatbelts. This Endura was brought back out of the drawer by an STR clip. Thanks
IMG_0653.jpg

Here are the low riders that STR did on my mini Cyclone and on my Blur.
BTW, that's Steve's frame lock conversion on the Blur

Attachments

• Blur SG2 framelock number 2 finished side view 2 a.jpg
    Blur SG2 framelock number 2 finished side view 2 a.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 409
  • Mini Cyclone 1 a.jpg
    Mini Cyclone 1 a.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 407
I received a nice surprise in the mail the other day :)

As you can see from the image, the stock Emerson clip makes the knife very visible. Where I am, the knife is legal, I just don't like people staring. VERY impressive quality! Thank you Steve!

dcvtd0.png

Last edited:
Steve, I see that you "usually" need the knife....would you need it for an Emerson Snubby?

Thanks!

-geoff

No not for that one. Its a good question not covered but I would prefer we keep those to a bare minimum in this thread. Thanks Geoff.

Edit:

For the record I don't normally recommend low riders with Waved knives due to how the low rider changes the position of the hand on the folder for when you extract the knife to use it. Non Waved Emerson knives work fine though and I will do them on the Waved ones if you insist.

Lastly I'll add this video review of one of my custom folders because Cutlery Lover covers some details and shows some close ups of one of my low riders in it that I thought was well done. Thanks Jeff. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-4JHTNnfsk

Thanks guys and keep em coming.

STR

Last edited:
Thanks for the pic donations guys. Much appreciated. Keep em coming. :thumbup:

STR

Another JYDII just up. This one going to the Ukraine. :thumbup:
Shown here its mounted on my folder. It rides nice and deep, grabs the pocket well and should mount right on the knife in the owners hands currently. We'll hear when it gets there I guess. ;) Also, this is a scan and the lid of my scanner kind of tweaked this so its sitting sideways. It shows enough to see it though. Thanks

STR

Attachments

• Kershw JYD Tip Down Low Rider by STR.jpg
    Kershw JYD Tip Down Low Rider by STR.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 297
Another JYDII just up. This one going to the Ukraine.
Shown here its mounted on my folder. It rides nice and deep, grabs the pocket well and should mount right on the knife in the owners hands currently. We'll hear when it gets there I guess.

Received my clip today and succeed installing it in place :) I have made some quick shots, so look at the results below (click on the pictures to enlarge):

Old clip

New one

"Pocket shot" :)

Thanks STR! :thumbup:

Boy that thing must have hopped on the first plane out of here! I don't think I've ever seen a package get somewhere out of the country that fast before. :thumbup: Looks great on the knife too so I'd say I hit it just right and that they are definitely the same for both models.

Lookin' good my friend. Enjoy and thanks for the pics.

STR

Back