PID Programming of toaster oven

My PID controlled oven now works so now I have a couple of questions concerning a PID Controller to my oven.
1) I am running my toaster oven plug into the output plug from my PID/SSR. Should I disconnect the thermostat from the toaster
oven? When running wide open my oven would fluctuate from 365 to 450 when in "Broil" mode. In oven mode it would not crack
365 In broil mode I don't think the lower coils heat up but I could be wrong.
2) I have a 12v muffin fan. Can I run it right off of the PID output to the SSR or do I have to use another output point on the PID?
Or should I just run it off of a 12v transformer?
3) Programming. Do I just set it and forget it for the temp and the PID does the rest or do I have to actually tell it the range I want it
kick on? Like maybe 2 degrees below my target point?
4) will I have to do a separate program for the fan if I run it off another dc output port on the PID (assuming I can do that)
Thank you Mark and Stacy for the assistance over the last month or so. Don

Don, just saw you've not received an answer yet, so I'll try to answer a couple of them.

1. There should be a place on the temperature setting of toaster oven so all elements are on, and set on highest temperature setting. Without knowing what your toaster oven is, it's hard to answer exactly how to do it. I do the same as you are, plug toaster oven cord into the recpt controlled by PID.

2. It depends on what voltage your PID is supplying to the SSR. I'd consider using a wall wart to supply 12vdc and run fan all time, or perhaps use a 5 or 6 vdc wall wart to run fan at slow speed. Don't need much air movement, just enough to circulate air.

3. Set toaster oven for highest possible temperature, set PID for exact temp you want. It will control temperature.

4. Not knowing what PID you've got I can not answer that question. Unless you've got a pretty darn fancy PID I doubt it has ability to run two different programs at same time. Perhaps simplest thing would be to get a 120vac muffin fan and connect to heating coil power to allow PID to cycle fan same as elements.

Ken H>

Thank you Ken! This helps a lot! I appreciate the feedback! Fun stuff to learn but reading the instruction book for the PID is like reading Chinese! I think I'll hit the local Goodwill and look for something with a 12 vdc transformer and tie it into my AC output per what you said. Thanks again! I am looking forward to better control of my tempering process!

Goodwill should have plenty of those wallwarts laying around. I'm surprised that you don't have any, they seem to come with most anything from old cell phone chargers to whatever.

Ken H>

If you can, re-wire the oven coils to run full time by being hard wired to the power, and not using any of the controls or thermostat. If that isn't in your skill set, just set the oven to HI and BAKE and it should be fine. As long as both coils are running it will work.

Let the fan run all the time ... just use a 12VDC supply and plug it in to the wall socket. or use a 120VAC fan and wire it to the main power after the ON?/OFF switch.

The PID will learn on the job how to control the heating coils. It is called auto-tuning. It will figure out how to keep from over/under shooting after 15-30 minutes of run time. That is why you let it warm up for half an hour or so while doing the HT. Even if it has a bit of swing, in a temper, it isn't a real problem, if it isn't more than a 20 degree swing.

Thank you guys! I appreciate the advise! Stacy, you probably don't remember, but you sent me the PID, SSR and TC wire about 4 years ago. Took me a while to get going I guess. Life happens. Thank you for leading me to the rabbit hole! Gas forge conversion will be next! Have a great weekend!

Hi Ken,
Never heard them called wallwarts! I have a few of them but they are not 12vdc, they are all lower voltage.

Plug one of those things into a wall recept, step back and look at it. Looks like a "wart" growing on the wall {g}

Perhaps most of them are in the 5 to 6 vdc range? Just connect one of those to your 12 vdc muffin fan and see if it doesn't run on slow speed. Should be plenty of air movement inside a small toaster oven even at 5 vdc. If you measure the voltage with no load you'll find it in the 7 to 9 vdc range most likely, but it will drop under load.

Stacy is right (as usual:) - best way is to wire the oven elements together and bypass the oven controls using only the PID for control. BUT, since I'm pretty lazy, I just put the toaster oven to 450F against the "peg" (as far as knob will go) and that keeps the toaster oven calling for heat allowing full control to PID up to 400ºF. Anything over 400F I tend to use the Evenheat oven.

Ken H>

Too funny Ken! I've got a bunch of lower voltage wallwarts! Thanks for the feedback! Most helpful! Eventually hoping to get an Evenheat! Have a great weekend! DonO

Back