PIF-ERS just talking shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone have any tips on a douk douk mod so that if you close it hard without thinking about it it doesnt nick your blade? I try to be careful but forget sometimes. The black cat has a piece of plastic i believe so it doesnt get dinged like that.

Baryonyx mentions bending the sides in on their website for the Nagao Higonokami knives. I think the douk-douk is a similar construction on the sides? It would scratch it though.

http://www.baryonyxknife.com/nahinobl1.html
"Avoid over-closing Higonokami knives or else the edge may contact the frame. *A traditional modification is to bend the frame more closed so that it grips the shoulders of the blade's grind much like a straight razor handle, preventing such over-closure. We offer this as an additional option as well."

Thank you. I saw that, but i think that works for the higo no kamis because they are a saber grind and these are full flat, i think they would need to bend too much. I tried the credit card trick, it was hard to get the right size (small enough to fit in but big enough to wedge) but it seems to be working.
Baryonyx mentions bending the sides in on their website for the Nagao Higonokami knives. I think the douk-douk is a similar construction on the sides? It would scratch it though.

http://www.baryonyxknife.com/nahinobl1.html
"Avoid over-closing Higonokami knives or else the edge may contact the frame. *A traditional modification is to bend the frame more closed so that it grips the shoulders of the blade's grind much like a straight razor handle, preventing such over-closure. We offer this as an additional option as well."

Thank you. I saw that, but i think that works for the higo no kamis because they are a saber grind and these are full flat, i think they would need to bend too much. I tried the credit card trick, it was hard to get the right size (small enough to fit in but big enough to wedge) but it seems to be working.

Cool, good to know. I did notice that difference in grind but wasn't sure if it would cause the trick not to work. Those are both affordable knives I've not tried yet. I generally get stuck getting after slipjoints like sodbusters by the time I get to the checkout. Or trappers on closeout.

Figured I'd put this here, to help keep the main PIF thread a little less cluttered...

Long-term PIF update! Just some observations on items I received through the thread, that haven't been released back in the wild for one reason or another. From left to right:

CRKT Stiff KISS - This came to me via sabre cat sabre cat
Realistically, it's nothing spectacular, but it's tough little fixed blade. This has become my around-the-house and in-the-garage beater knife. Normally, as a lefty, I'm not really into chisel grinds, as they are sharpened on the wrong side of the blade for me, but I've found it works quite well at scraping on flat surfaces. The serrations could be a bit more aggressive for fibrous materials, but they work fairly well on rubber items such as garden hose, heater hoses, cutting off grommets, etc. It's also thick enough through the blade to pry smaller items with when necessary. I cord wrapped the handle the day after I received it, which makes it a little better in hand when using.

Originally, I offered up a sheath for it to go along with his PIF, as I had recently lost the Stiff KISS I had. Instead, he insisted I take the knife instead, to replace mine. So this one's a keeper, as I consider it a gift from a forum friend, instead of a PIF. Think I've had it for about a year now, and it's seen a ton of use/abuse for various projects.

Steel Will Modus - Originally posted by @Minirehak212 but I claimed it from @arrowhd if I remember correctly (it's been close to a year as well)
Great knife! Flips relatively easily and smoothly, light for its size, and the blade shape is very versatile. It's become my primary EDC, even kicking the Manix 2 out of my pocket most days. The D2 takes, and holds, a nice working edge, and touches up quickly on diamonds when needed. It's not the sexiest, the smoothest, or most desirable of the current crop of good Chinese knives, but damn is this thing a hell of a workhorse - and a use the hell out of it. Gonna take a lot to knock this out of rotation, or back into the PIF stream!

Brous Silent Soldier V2 - PIF'ed by @Deinos
Think I claimed this about six months ago. It's a stout little fixed bade for it's size (~1/4" thick) and a solid chunk of D2, and the machining quality on it is absolutely phenomenal - not a rough edge on it. And it gets sharp as sin, even for the shallow grind. It's also very ergonomically designed. Put your index finger in the front hole, and it locks right in your hand comfortably. And it work in a few different grips (you can even pinch the wedge in your thumb and forefinger for precious cutting). My only complaint (and it's minor) is that it's Wharncliff, and I think I'd prefer it in a drop point for general use. But the real shining star is the Kydex sheath. This is how all knives should fit in a sheath! It clicks in firmly, and you're never afraid it's gonna fall out, yet a light snap, and the blade comes right out in for use.

Deinos sent it with just the neck chain, and no belt clip. I don't really do neckers, so I ran some cord through the holes, which allows me to slide a belt through and wear it cross draw. Works really well, and you almost forget you have it on you it's so small. I wear it almost daily, except to the office, when I don't think I'll need or want a larger EDC fixed blade. I'll keep it for a while yet, but if I come across one in a drop point, this one may get re-PIF'ed.

Invicta Grand Diver -again from @Minirehak212
This came as a pair of Invicta watches he posted as 'no return PIF', so I gave it a go. The other Invecta, I passed on to JupiterPaladin JupiterPaladin as a thank you for all his hard work keeping the list updated (hope you're enjoying it buddy - thanks again). It's a fairly honking piece of stainless on the wrist, but not my biggest. It's also made it into my normal watch rotation, sharing time with some much more expensive pieces. The red on black has a nice sporty look, which works well with jeans and a polo. Invicta gets a bad rap, and this watch holds up well to others in the sub-$200 price range and isn't gaudy like some of their other stuff. In the few months I've had it, it's kept reliable time - as long as I remember to keep it wound. But I have to go and wind all my automatics every other day if the don't get worn for a bit. I'll keep it for a while longer, and depending on where my watch collection goes, see if stays or moves to another collection.

Just thought some of you guys might like to know what became of your PIF's, where they are today, and what others thought of them. I'd be interested to hear stories on other claims from the thread, so have at it!

FXZhc73.jpg

Figured I'd put this here, to help keep the main PIF thread a little less cluttered...

Long-term PIF update! Just some observations on items I received through the thread, that haven't been released back in the wild for one reason or another. From left to right:

Realistically, it's nothing spectacular, but it's tough little fixed blade. This has become my around-the-house and in-the-garage beater knife. Normally, as a lefty, I'm not really into chisel grinds, as they are sharpened on the wrong side of the blade for me, but I've found it works quite well at scraping on flat surfaces. The serrations could be a bit more aggressive for fibrous materials, but they work fairly well on rubber items such as garden hose, heater hoses, cutting off grommets, etc. It's also thick enough through the blade to pry smaller items with when necessary. I cord wrapped the handle the day after I received it, which makes it a little better in hand when using.

Originally, I offered up a sheath for it to go along with his PIF, as I had recently lost the Stiff KISS I had. Instead, he insisted I take the knife instead, to replace mine. So this one's a keeper, as I consider it a gift from a forum friend, instead of a PIF. Think I've had it for about a year now, and it's seen a ton of use/abuse for various projects.

Steel Will Modus - Originally posted by @Minirehak212 but I claimed it from @arrowhd if I remember correctly (it's been close to a year as well)
Great knife! Flips relatively easily and smoothly, light for its size, and the blade shape is very versatile. It's become my primary EDC, even kicking the Manix 2 out of my pocket most days. The D2 takes, and holds, a nice working edge, and touches up quickly on diamonds when needed. It's not the sexiest, the smoothest, or most desirable of the current crop of good Chinese knives, but damn is this thing a hell of a workhorse - and a use the hell out of it. Gonna take a lot to knock this out of rotation, or back into the PIF stream!

Think I claimed this about six months ago. It's a stout little fixed bade for it's size (~1/4" thick) and a solid chunk of D2, and the machining quality on it is absolutely phenomenal - not a rough edge on it. And it gets sharp as sin, even for the shallow grind. It's also very ergonomically designed. Put your index finger in the front hole, and it locks right in your hand comfortably. And it work in a few different grips (you can even pinch the wedge in your thumb and forefinger for precious cutting). My only complaint (and it's minor) is that it's Wharncliff, and I think I'd prefer it in a drop point for general use. But the real shining star is the Kydex sheath. This is how all knives should fit in a sheath! It clicks in firmly, and you're never afraid it's gonna fall out, yet a light snap, and the blade comes right out in for use.

Deinos sent it with just the neck chain, and no belt clip. I don't really do neckers, so I ran some cord through the holes, which allows me to slide a belt through and wear it cross draw. Works really well, and you almost forget you have it on you it's so small. I wear it almost daily, except to the office, when I don't think I'll need or want a larger EDC fixed blade. I'll keep it for a while yet, but if I come across one in a drop point, this one may get re-PIF'ed.

This came as a pair of Invicta watches he posted as 'no return PIF', so I gave it a go. The other Invecta, I passed on to JupiterPaladin JupiterPaladin as a thank you for all his hard work keeping the list updated (hope you're enjoying it buddy - thanks again). It's a fairly honking piece of stainless on the wrist, but not my biggest. It's also made it into my normal watch rotation, sharing time with some much more expensive pieces. The red on black has a nice sporty look, which works well with jeans and a polo. Invicta gets a bad rap, and this watch holds up well to others in the sub-$200 price range and isn't gaudy like some of their other stuff. In the few months I've had it, it's kept reliable time - as long as I remember to keep it wound. But I have to go and wind all my automatics every other day if the don't get worn for a bit. I'll keep it for a while longer, and depending on where my watch collection goes, see if stays or moves to another collection.

Just thought some of you guys might like to know what became of your PIF's, where they are today, and what others thought of them. I'd be interested to hear stories on other claims from the thread, so have at it!

FXZhc73.jpg
Awesome update and picture!

FXZhc73.jpg
What a pleasant thing to read, J jaseman . Thank you.

When you stated how much you missed the KISS that you lost, it was a no brainer that the knife should go to you. I could not think of anyone more deserving. I hope you get years of use and enjoyment.

-Lynn

The other Invecta, I passed on to JupiterPaladin JupiterPaladin as a thank you for all his hard work keeping the list updated (hope you're enjoying it buddy - thanks again).
You know, when those were offered up, I considered many times of putting in for one. It's been over 25 years since I actively worn a watch and it had crossed my mind to get something classy and give it another go. So at first when I opened your box, it was like,

He sent me a watch. He sent the watch I thought about claiming that time! Did I ever mention it? Cool!

I don't wear it to work as I normally deal with high voltage , but I do wear it out with the family. My wife and I both love it. She's suggested me getting one many times over the last 20 years. The fact it was a gift is all the better. Definitely a keeper, and a physical reminder of the good people I've been able to know here on BladeForums. :thumbsup:

If I end up buying more watches, I'm blaming you J jaseman ! :D (I totally didn't look at a few out of curiosity or anything... What? I didn't! ... Yes I did ;) )

That's what I love discovering about gear J jaseman what actually gets used by me in real life... vs what my brain says is great and that I need to purchase.
Most of the time it's not my favorite stuff that gets use, it's just its just stuff I come into or find by accident and it ends up being the stuff I Iove best.

So on a side note. I went on a few interviews today. Didn't take my man purse. Wouldn't you know it I should have. Needed a pair of pliers and didn't have any. That boker tool I didn't have till the other day would have saved the day but in stead I ended up using 2 quarters like I have in the past. So I'm gonna make a new pouch for the flashlight and the boker tool. And might as well put the left handed hinderer tactical writing device in with them. I'll post a picture when it's done.

So on a side note. I went on a few interviews today. Didn't take my man purse. Wouldn't you know it I should have. Needed a pair of pliers and didn't have any. That boker tool I didn't have till the other day would have saved the day but in stead I ended up using 2 quarters like I have in the past. So I'm gonna make a new pouch for the flashlight and the boker tool. And might as well put the left handed hinderer tactical writing device in with them. I'll post a picture when it's done.
I use these leather doodads to keep me organized during the day!
20191008_195620.jpg

I use these leather doodads to keep me organized during the day!
View attachment 1210320
I like that and I might even take from that design but I will change it a little I don't steal others designs. That just not cool. But I can take a design and make something from it to make it unique and my own. And that's ok imho

The pocket organizer in the top pick is a design that has been around and copied by everyone forever. There's really not much TO copy, it's really basic.
The bottom one that holds the leatherman and Fenix is a Chinese cheapy from Amazon. It needs improvement. The slits in it for pocket clips are pointless and lend to making it flimsier.

Cool, good to know. I did notice that difference in grind but wasn't sure if it would cause the trick not to work. Those are both affordable knives I've not tried yet. I generally get stuck getting after slipjoints like sodbusters by the time I get to the checkout. Or trappers on closeout.
I like the douk douk, but havent tried a higo yet. The black cat is great too. Just found the “kwik thumb” plates and thumbstuds for traditionals. Bought a small plate to try on the mercator. Anyone have experience with these?
856191A6-3945-4BC1-8BEC-F335904309A4.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back