1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pioneer Arms bag axe

Discussion in 'Axe, Tomahawk, & Hatchet Forum' started by Shotgun, Feb 13, 2018.

1. Shotgun

Shotgun

Feb 3, 2006
    Anyone have any experience with these or the company in general? I have a Vaughn sub zero headed my way to try out and was looking at other small half hatchets similar in size to the gb mini to try. I’m looking at the “small bag axe” in particular.

2. Square_peg

Square_peg

Feb 1, 2012
    The Vaughan is made in USA. With Vaughan that typically means 1080 carbon steel. It should be far superior to whatever "medium carbon steel" Pioneer Arms is using.

3. Hickory n steel

Hickory n steel

Feb 11, 2016
    I love my Vaughan sub zero hatchet, and we'll the company in general, but you will need to do some work to it to get it performing well.
    It will perform very well for it's size afterwards though.
    Here's mine
    [​IMG]

Now If I was to recommend something I'd say stick with Vaughan, but that pioneer arms Bag axe sure is nice looking.
    Ive got a harbor freight hatchet that holds an edge very well, this doesn't really mean anything here but it says that the unknown can be pretty decent sometimes.

I'm looking forward to your review of this new bag axe, and hope it's well worth the $40-$60 they sell for depending on handle options.

Btw you may want to check out the Vaughan oyster hatchet and the imicasa made Marbles hatchet.
    I don't know the model but the small one is easy to find.

4. Shotgun

Shotgun

Feb 3, 2006
    Double tap.

5. Shotgun

Shotgun

Feb 3, 2006
    Thanks for the suggestions. The oyster hatchet looks pretty interesting. I may give that a try if I like the subz. The marbles I’ve thought about a few times but always decided against it because of the ridges in the eye. If I come across a used one I may pick it up.

As for the bag axe, I probably won’t lay down 60 bucks for one without some secondary info on it. I’d rather spend the money on a known quantity. Or a night out for that matter. ;)

I may do a tiny chopper review. I’m starting to get a collection of tiny axes without even trying. I have the small Rinaldi and the hb lady hawk. Maybe a side by side when I get the hb and the sub z in shape. 42B already did a great job on the Rinaldi. :D

6. Hickory n steel

Hickory n steel

Feb 11, 2016
    Wrong marbles hatchet, I'm talking about the one that's forged In El Salvador by imicasa.
    It's way different than the stainless steel made in China and made in Pakistan one with the eye ridges.