• Preorders are LIVE for the 2024 BladeForums Traditional Knife

Traditional Knife Information Thread - make sure you go in there and read up.

Requirements: Be a Gold or higher member or have been a member of the forums since 6/2023 with at least 100 posts in the Traditional Forum. Preorder is for people who live in the continental US only, international orders will be separate.

Delivery expected in Q4 2024, hopefully before the holidays.

User Name
    Serial number request

Pivot Lubricant

What is the best lubricant for the pivot of folders, and where on the net can it be bought?

------------------
"To grow older is inevitable.To grow UP is optional."

Sentry Solutions' Tuf-Glide is the best I have used. Prior to trying this, I've tried just about every lube out there and was not happy with the results. TG offers both corrosion protection and lubrication. It will not wash off and is long lasting. Comes in a litte bottle with needle applicator to direct the solution where needed. Most knife retailers on the net carry Tuf Glide like http://www.knifecenter.com . You can also order directly from Sentry Solutions through their site at http://www.sentrysolutions.com . Hope this helps.

------------------
Dexter Ewing
Knife Reviews Moderator
AKTI Member # A000005

Thanks, guys! I have Tuf Glide on order now.

------------------
"To grow older is inevitable.To grow UP is optional."

Dexter, What is the consistency like on tuf glide?I like Chris Reeves fluoropolymer pivot oil but it is thick and doesn`t easily flow into tight fitting pivots.Is TUF GLIDEany better?
David
AKTI#150

I use Superlube and the Chris Reeve grease and love them both.
I have on occasion used Break-free as well with good results.
Peace

------------------
"Worst of all my foes, I fear the enemy within"
*John Wesley*

Romans 10:9-10

"Military" Fans Unite!!

I usually find that friction in a folder isn't between the blade and pivot pin it is between the blade and the liners or locking mechanism. This means that I don't need a liquid or penetrating lubricant to reduce friction.

First I clean the area with Q-tips or pipe cleaners and alcohol. Then I take ordinary candle wax and rub surfaces that I can get to with wax. Then I chip off some wax with a finger nail and drop small flakes into the working area of the knife. I work the blade back and forth. Usually this does a very clean and effective job of lubricating the pivot. When this doesn't work I put a little Lubriplate on the tip of a piece of wire and put it into the joint.

But your primary issue is to keep abrasive dirt out of the joint.

I currently use BreakFree CLP, but I do like the Sentry Solutions products. Maybe I'll give the Tuf Glide a try.

Axel

Jeff,

Your theory on wear and friction is very interesting. I've used wax before, mainly on bike & gun components. It seems to work pretty good from what I could tell, but had two characteristics different from petroleum based lubes:
a) Did not attract dirt and abrasives as much as oils and grease.
b) Wore off very quickly in dirty/abrasive environments (ie. Mt. biking off road).

Have you ever tried to melt wax in a pan and stir in an evaporative thinner? I might try this to get the wax in a liquid form, so it can penetrate between the working parts more easily.

Everyone:

What makes Tuff Glide supereor to the dozen different types of lubes on the market before it was ever around? I'm not arguing, just asking.

------------------
"But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip; and he that hath no sword let him sell his garment and buy one." -Jesus Christ (Luke 22:36) See John 3:15- 18

Ah, yes. The old dip the clean chain in the heated tin of wax trick. Simply try some White Lightning wax based bike lube available at better bike shops. Goes on wet and dries rather quick. Less time and won' t set your kitchen stove on fire!
smile.gif

L8r,
Nakano

I stopped using Break Free after they changed the formula a few years back.

I now use FP10 (from the gun store) or a synthetic oil labled "Skate Lube" that I get from the sporting goods section of Wal-Mart.

I just picked up a new grease and oil set from the automotive section of Wal-Mart (by the JB Weld and such) called "X-1R." I will be trying it on my guns this week and will test it on a few knives as well. I'll keep ya posted.

For years I used BreakFree CLP, until I found Sentry's Solutions TufGlide. I usually apply one drop to each side of the pivot, then repeat that a day later. Once it's dried, it works as well, or better, than anything else I've tried, and, since it's dry, there is nothing to act as a gunk magnet.

One thing I really like about it is that it is thin enough to easily penetrate the tightest pivots. BreakFree took a while to get worked it.

I'm planning on getting the Armorer's Kit and give it a try on my firearms.

One of the, well, let's say left-field reasons I like TufCloth and TufGlide is the smell. It just smells like something that belongs on a knife!

Ray

------------------
Knowledge without understanding is knowledge wasted.
Understanding without knowledge is a rare gift - but not an impossibility.
For the impossible is always possible through faith. - Bathroom graffiti, gas station, Grey, TN, Dec, 1988

AKTI Member #A000831

[This message has been edited by Codeman (edited 21 September 1999).]

I have used Sentry Solutions for lubricating my knives and my Glock 34 without any problems whatsoever. Get both Tuf-Glide and Marine Tuf Cloth for your knives, and if you want to lubricate your gun, use the Armorer's kit along with Tuf-Glide. Another vote for Sentry Solutions!

I hear you loud and clear, Codeman.
smile.gif
And I thought I was the only one who likes the smell of Sentry's Tuf-Cloth and Tuf-Glide.
smile.gif

I use Tuf-Glide on my knives, specially on the pivot portion... and they work like a charm.

Dan

Codeman,
You convinced me.I am going to try Tuf-Glide.
The smell will be a bonus.I would be concerned about adding heat to an evaporative medium and melted wax.Seems like a good way to eliminate thos pesky eyebrows!
David

AKTI#150

Tuf Glide works great on a variety of production and custom folders.

Plus, my wife swears that it smells like good bourbon (something she hates and I like!) another plus
smile.gif

Waldo

I don't actually lubricate my knives with bourbon I merely use it as an aroma enhancer.

I haven't tried to dissolve paraffin in a solvent and using it as a lubricant. My lubricating demands aren't that high since I stopped carrying switchblades some years back. I'd also worry that any solvent that would dissolve wax would be likely to damage the finish if I got some on my knife grips. I've damaged knives in the past using solvents to clean dirty handles. Even alcohol can be a problem.

Speaking of waxes and white lightening I saw an ad somewhere (I think it may have been on the web) promoting WL for use as a knife lube. I think both using parafin shavings with care or an oil based lube would be superior to WL. I like it on the bike but not on the blade
smile.gif
If you do use it, remember the action will not stay so slippery after the solvent evaporates.

JE

Back