Pizza and Slicers

CRlQRXg.jpg

Wish I could post pictures using my (allegedly) "smart" phone.

I use an ULU.
The best "kitchen knife" and pizza slicer ever devised.

(The oldest known ULU was found in the permafrost up and over in Alaska a few years ago, and was dated to between 40,000 to 45,000 years ago.)

The ULU is still made today, but with metal blades. ... talk about a long production run. :)
Plus one on the ulu. You can get one at the knifecenter they have one that's made in New York for a very good price. I use it in the kitchen for many things. The only thing I don't like about it is it's got a chisel grind. Other than that it's a dandy

Plus one on the ulu. You can get one at the knifecenter they have one that's made in New York for a very good price. I use it in the kitchen for many things. The only thing I don't like about it is it's got a chisel grind. Other than that it's a dandy
I believe all ULU have a chisel grind. Every ULU I've seen and handled (at least 8 of different brands and price points) had a chisel grind.
Good for chopping/dicing critter and plants, peeling critters, filleting (Large/XL) fish, Eel, and other seafood, slicing pizza, Lasagna, and whatever else you'd use an ULU for.

I saw a draw through "sharpener" (note quotes) designed for an ULU on the big river site a while back.
One of the "sharpening" "blades" was vertical, the other set to roughly 20 or 25 degrees.

I believe all ULU have a chisel grind. Every ULU I've seen and handled (at least 8 of different brands and price points) had a chisel grind.
Good for chopping/dicing critter and plants, peeling critters, filleting (Large/XL) fish, Eel, and other seafood, slicing pizza, Lasagna, and whatever else you'd use an ULU for.

I saw a draw through "sharpener" (note quotes) designed for an ULU on the big river site a while back.
One of the "sharpening" "blades" was vertical, the other set to roughly 20 or 25 degrees.
I'm still trying to figure out how to keep it Sharp, I'm having difficulty sharpening chisel grinds and I don't know why. I'm definitely going to look into the Big River thanks for the tip.

How I sharpen an ULU (and chisel): Lay the bevel flat on the stone. PUSH the edge on the stone (never pull).

Forget a "micro bevel". Not needed.
A 20 degree chisel grind edge is sharper/keener than a 20 degrees per side/40 degrees inclusive "V" edge.

After you have the edge sharp (edge does not reflect light), you can flip the blade, laying it flat on the stone, and give the edge a couple quick swipes to help knock off any wire edge/burr, then strop.

I use a clean dry leather strop. medium-light pressure, angle about 2 ... 3 degrees more than the edge angle; edge at 20 degrees, strop at 22~23 degrees both sides to break off any wire edge/burr.
No polishing compound prevents changing the edge angle when stropping. 😇👍

How I sharpen an ULU (and chisel): Lay the bevel flat on the stone. PUSH the edge on the stone (never pull).

Forget a "micro bevel". Not needed.
A 20 degree chisel grind edge is sharper/keener than a 20 degrees per side/40 degrees inclusive "V" edge.

After you have the edge sharp (edge does not reflect light), you can flip the blade, laying it flat on the stone, and give the edge a couple quick swipes to help knock off any wire edge/burr, then strop.

I use a clean dry leather strop. medium-light pressure, angle about 2 ... 3 degrees more than the edge angle; edge at 20 degrees, strop at 22~23 degrees both sides to break off any wire edge/burr.
No polishing compound prevents changing the edge angle when stropping. 😇👍
Thank you sir, I'm going to do it today like you said because I'm going to be using it pretty much a lot tomorrow. Thanks again

It was more of a commentary directed at pineapple on pizza. 😅

I like it as well. 🤫
Oh. Went over my head.

Being from the west coast, it was always common, the obligatory "Hawaiian" pizza. Here out east, the majority of people seem against it. "You don't put fruit on pizza!" I had the local pizza place really question my choice one time.

I think it is fantastic.

Back