Plastic scales

I'm not a big fan of G-10 or FRN. In fact, the only knives I have that have either are two CF Spydercos.

I like color and variety. CF is my favorite.

I dislike plastic scales for these reasons: (please note, not all of these apply, since the specifics of epoxy in g10, and the resins used in micarta need to be known/documented to really know anything) I include the links for those interested in the science:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plastic#Toxicity
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epoxy#Health_risks
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bisphenol_A
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Micarta#Manufacturing_process

normally, when a high quality mfg shop makes good quality g10, the epoxy will be fully reacted, and you should have little risk, but I'm still always concerned -- @knarfeng and other chemists can speak to this in much more detail (I hope)

& stuff like this: (not used in g10 or micarta luckily, but is used in so many other things it's fairly concerning: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bis(2-ethylhexyl)_phthalate ) ... has me in a generally anti-plastic mood whenever I have the choice

as such, I prefer wood scales (without use of resins/plastics/epoxys), or titanium or even steel & aluminum

I really disliked them at, first, but Spyderco does their FRN scales really well. I dont care for the material that is on the lightweight Manix however. Feels like cheap brittle and plasticy.

Benchmade, they feel too plasticy to me as well.

I have no issue with the bugout Grivory handles as they are well suited for the knife design and do have texturing to provide grip. I've beat them up quite a bit without any failures, dispite "the flex". They are also easily customized with some Rit dye and time. However, I did put some titanium scales on a pair and it made the knife perfect for me. Admittedly, I do like titanium scales and the bugout hits the ideal handle size, shape and blade shape that I prefer. You can see by the wear in the pic below, the bottom version gets carried a lot.

M6wglJs.jpg

FRN, Kraton and consorts need to be banished. I have a H1 Spyderhawk, love the blade and hate the scales with the passion of the heat of a thousand burning suns. (I might exaggarate a little).
I just don't get it, it feels cheap, it flexes, are there positives about it? Maybe? Probably? Do I care? No.
tenor.gif

I like my frn spydercos.
The bugout is a bit blade heavy and I think some cf scales will be good for it to fix the ballance.

I like the grip of fun and Grivory handles, and the weight. Metal handles are too heavy and too slick be my preferred handle material. Micarta and g10 are my favorites.

Ive wondered aboyt the opinions on the bugout. How is the action on them . The one ive held was very stiff. If the handles are durable i would love to have one. I like the thinness of the handle as well as the weight. The plastic doesnt bother me as long as it is strong amd durable

The action on mine is the best out of all 7 of my Benchmades.

As far as durablitlity, it will hold up to anything you'd use a knife with .09 blade stock for.
So functionally I like the scales, but they just aren't for me

The action on mine is the best out of all 7 of my Benchmades.

As far as durablitlity, it will hold up to anything you'd use a knife with .09 blade stock for.
So functionally I like the scales, but they just aren't for me

Yep, best action of the Benchmades I've owned. And it's as durable a piece as I've used.

Last edited:
I have no issue with the bugout Grivory handles as they are well suited for the knife design and do have texturing to provide grip. I've beat them up quite a bit without any failures, dispite "the flex". They are also easily customized with some Rit dye and time. However, I did put some titanium scales on a pair and it made the knife perfect for me. Admittedly, I do like titanium scales and the bugout hits the ideal handle size, shape and blade shape that I prefer. You can see by the wear in the pic below, the bottom version gets carried a lot.

M6wglJs.jpg
Nice scales! Would you by chance know the weight of your Bugouts with the Ti scales?

I find BM's grivory scales to be a rather premium feel to me and more than satisfactory. Not to mention that Benchmade has you pay handsomely for the privilege of having G10 or (gasp) CF. Even though I am more than satisfied with my bone stock 535 with the (pshaw) plastic blue scales, I can't see myself paying for CF scales that cost the same as the Bugout in the first place. However, never say never.

Until then, if I want to have a G10 fix, I just carry my 531 for a couple days.

I am not a big fan of just plastic... But if its reinforced with metal liners then its fine. One issue is that metal doesnt get brittle and crack in the cold,whereas some plastics do. Im sure that Benchmade uses only the finest plastic in their over priced knives though, so I wouldnt sweat that issue too much. :rolleyes:;) If a knife has liners, I am ok with whatever material they put over them generally because I know it will hold up. The knife is only as strong as its weakest part, and if that part is a thin non-reinforced and flexing FRN then I would say that the knife isnt very strong... why they have come out with a tacticool tanto Bugout with a pry bar thing on one end (and then thin plastic for a handle) I will never know... :rolleyes: I do like some plastics though, G10 is super tough! I am a big micarta fan too, and I like delrin on some traditional slipjoint knives. So to the OP, just do whatever makes you happy and dont look back.

I like Spyderco's FRN handles, and have never felt they lacked in performance. I also like G10 and some metal handles, too.

The only thing I don't like about FRN is when the area under the clip-handle contact surface is molded in a rough pattern that eats up pocket material. That has nothing to do with the FRN itself.

Jim

So I have been carrying my Benchmade Bugout for more than a year and I love it, except the plastic scales are starting to annoy me. Considering getting custom scales. So my question is.... Do plastic scales bug you enough to not buy a nice knife (like the bugout) with them? Also what is your favorite scale/handle material?

Thx,
Workingsloth777

There is nothing wrong with Grivory or Zytel at all...it depends on the design on the knife. Your BugOut is very thinned down in material and has thin nested liners to top if off. This is like the outcome of the Buck Bantam. Buck hollowed out the FRN scales which resulted in a lot of flex.

Handle an old Gerber LST Magnum or an old Imperial Apex you'll find these don't flex because they don't hollow it out.

Last edited:
I actually prefer polymer scales, especially FRN. It's light, strong, allows for highly contoured designs at low unit cost given sufficient production volume to offset the high fixed cost of tooling, and can be made in about any color under the sun. The material of handle scales affects what sorts of forms are appropriate, and FRN and other polymers are no exception, so whether or not a particular knife's handle is good or not depends on how well it was designed/engineered. If it's flexy/floppy then either it was poorly engineered or the sacrifice in rigidity was considered acceptable for the advantages the material provided over alternatives. Can you imagine a Bugout, for instance, with the exact same shape and thickness to the scales but made using bone? It'd crack in no time, because that's an inappropriate material for that form. Given that the intent of the design was to be an ultralight knife, a certain degree of flex is acceptable in my opinion. That said, I do have to wonder what the difference in weight would have been if they had used either solid FRN or full-length steel liners on it to eliminate the flex.

IMO, I've found that the overall design and functionality (things I actually do not things I imagine I might need to do) for my favorite knives has had nothing to do with liners or handle materials (although I might worry about my one wood scaled folder).

My favorite knives for everyday usage run the Gambit from no steel liners and plastic to steel liners with aluminum, Micarta, , orG10, CF, scales or Grivory and rubber scales. I like the idea of full steel liners, but plastic handles are not a deal breaker off the knife is designed well.

Last, I tend to use my plastic handled knives more, as I don't worry so much about them getting scratched up and they are often significantly lighter if I'm pocketing a bunch of other tools.

I don't mind plastic scales. Spydercos FRN has served me well for many years. Ontario Rat 1 in D2 in orange FRN? gets plenty of pocket time too.

G10 and micarta are my preferred choices.

I'm not a big fan of metal or carbon fiber handled knives. The ones I've owned or handled have felt on the slick side. I currently own zero CF knives and down to one metal handled knife (Cold Steel Code 4) IIRC.

Plastic handles aren't a big factor on whether or not I want to buy a knife. The texture is definitely a consideration though, and molded plastic handles allow for a larger variety. In some cases, I actually prefer plastic to bare metal, wood, or other materials. It really depends on the specific knife. The lightweight Spyderco Chaparral (with very well done FRN handles) is one I much prefer to the other variations. I was hesitant a few times when looking at the Raffir Noble or carbon fiber versions, but bought the lightweight FRN version immediately. The texture of the FRN handles makes it really easy to manipulate a smaller, thinner knife like the Chaparral. In the case of my ZT 562 I eventually changed the G10 scale for a more comfortable, rounded, Ironwood scale. The finger grooves and overall more hand-filling ergonomics lead me to wanting something more natural feeling and looking. I would say wood handles/scales are my overall favorite.

I'm kind of split on the Grivory handles on the Bugout. I like them, but definitely considering trying out some custom scales. Nice knife regardless of the handle material.

Last edited:
Back