How To Playing with steel

Hello folkes, new member here!

After some time working with wood and leather as a hobbyist and watching forged in fire and Alec Steel's youtube videos I want to start making something with steel. I'll start with some simple leatherworking cutting tools with chisel type grind.

I was planning to buy 80CrV2 steel ( simply because it's cheap and I have very little experience with working metal so any mistake made would not be expensive) but after some reading I found people recommend when heat treating to keep it 5-10 minutes at critical temperature before quenching it. I am using proprane torch to heat steel so I would prefer to work with something that I just need to heat to critical temperature and quench. Are there any carbon steels you can recommend me ? I live in Europe so please, if you can leave a link with steel and shop from where to get it I would appriciate it very much!

Hello,
I just made my first steel order .
I went with aeb-l, 15n20,and 80crv2

Can you find 15n20 over there ?

start with 1085/ 1084/ o-1 type steels. aim for compositions with as few ingredients as possible and 0.60-0.85% carbon. This will allow you to get the best results you can with a simple torch. You will most likely not be able to heat treat any stainless with a torch by eye. the recipes are very exacting and temperatures and soak times are critical for success. As far as cheap stainless, I like AEB-L.

start with 1085/ 1084/ o-1 type steels. aim for compositions with as few ingredients as possible and 0.60-0.85% carbon. This will allow you to get the best results you can with a simple torch. You will most likely not be able to heat treat any stainless with a torch by eye. the recipes are very exacting and temperatures and soak times are critical for success. As far as cheap stainless, I like AEB-L.

80Crv2 is equivalent to 1084+ and L2 type steels, and has 0.8 Carbon. But internet says it requires 10min soak, and i am looking to avoid soaking peroid, just heat and quench.

where in europe?

Croatia

Back