Playing with texture again...

Discussion in 'Custom & Handmade Knives' started by NickWheeler, Oct 8, 2013.

1. NickWheeler

NickWheeler

Dec 3, 1999
    Hi guys- :)

I know some folks will hate this knife. It's not for everyone, and I'm okay with that. :)

It is pretty much the polar opposite of what I have tried to become known for... but I really enjoy making something like this because it's different. And I really enjoy making knives that will get used.

As usual, comments are welcome--- good and bad. :)

It's a small utility blade forged from a 1084/15N20 twist billet that is VERY HEAVILY textured.

[video=youtube;QyxzhhAE1sk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QyxzhhAE1sk[/video]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Joss

Joss

Nov 20, 2001
    I like textured blades, and I like this one. I think there's still a lot to explore in texture - for example we don't see much non-random texturing these days.

I wonder what this blade would have looked like with straight laminate. I tend to think it shows the texturing effect more clearly.

3. Ben Seward

Ben Seward Full-time Bladesmith/Part-time Idiot Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jun 28, 2012
    It's kinda cool, Nick. The combination of damascus/deep texture gives it a molten/lava look which I like. I'm liking the idea of deep, uniform texturing. On my forge finish knives I've been trying to get as close to machine finish as the hammer allows...this has me thinkin'! BTW, how does it balance?

4. Hengelo_77

Hengelo_77 Basic Member Basic Member

Mar 2, 2006
    I like it!

5. evanPGH

evanPGH

Dec 24, 2012
    Orange rotting! Like orange peeling? Get it? Yeah ok I'll stop now...

I love it though, I'm a huge fan of texture and this one looks great!

6. muphasta

muphasta

Jun 30, 2013
    I was thinking the same thing. Looks very earthen and primitive at the same time.

7. Erin Burke

Erin Burke KnifeMaker...ish

May 19, 2003
    I really like it Nick. One of the knife/sword-makers that really inspired me a few years back was Joe Walters. He made some "seasoned" pieces that I still think are super-uber-cool. I haven't heard his name mentioned much in the last half-decade... hope he's doing OK. Your piece has a similar (though less extreme) look.
    Erin

8. Don Carlos Andrade

Don Carlos Andrade

Jan 12, 2011
    I Dig it.

Plus, any one who knows anything about 3-D Design and Sculpture in general, knows that Texture is a BIG Part of it all.

Besides, why not show that Damascus of and make it feel good in the hand too.

The blade-shape really looks like a Wheeler!

Cool knife Brother.

-DON:)

9. Lorien

Lorien KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 5, 2005
    hard to imagine someone hating this.

10. NickWheeler

NickWheeler

Dec 3, 1999
    Thanks guys :)

Joss, I appreciate you posting about this one. I agree that a straight laminate would make a nice platform for the texture to show. Gonna have to try that. :D

Ben- thanks bud. As far as balance... that's a pretty cool aspect of the really deep texture. It displaces enough steel that there's only about 60-65% of the weight in the tang that would be there if it were full thickness in the same dimensions.

Erin- I've seen some really cool pieces of his, it made me smile that this triggered thoughts of his work for you.

Don- thanks man, I appreciate it!

Lorien- thanks my friend, but I know there are at least 3 people that looked at this and said, "OMFG, are you kidding me with this Wheeler?!?!?" Probably out loud and everything. ;) :D

Thanks everyone, I appreciate you all taking the time to post! :)

11. Jeff Jenness

Jeff Jenness

Sep 2, 2010
    I think that would make one perfect neck knife! I love the textures and the style. It's hard to not like this one...great construction and style plus looks like a practical design. I would like mine with a lanyard hole to weave a nice leather piece for even more texture.

I really like your work, Nick.

12. rwn2000

rwn2000

Jan 6, 2003
    OMFG, are you kidding me with this, Wheeler ?!?!?. ;)

Sorry, Nick. I couldn't help it. ;) I do like it. It is definitely different. I think it would look cool with the texture ground in instead of hammered in. Then you would see the damascus layers all over. But that is just me opinion. It is free and worth about that much. :)

Randy

13. Ben Seward

Ben Seward Full-time Bladesmith/Part-time Idiot Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jun 28, 2012
    That is very cool about the balance, Nick. Now I may have to start experimenting and suit it to my own twisted fancy.

14. Lorien

Lorien KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 5, 2005
    they need to get over themselves then :) You're doing EXACTLY what you should be doing. Haters gonna hate, yo!

15. Bruce Bump

Bruce Bump

Dec 2, 1999
    I think the sheath needs to be textured to match.

16. KellyGlanzer

KellyGlanzer

May 4, 2005
    Looks cool NIck, classic blade shape. WHats not to like. Now just make it fold in the middle will ya. ;)

17. BenR.T.

BenR.T. Tanto grinder & High performance blade peddler Moderator

Apr 18, 2011
    I like it. I love textured blades and have made and sold a lot of different ones. Some people love them, some hate them. I ok with that. :D

18. rustyrazor

rustyrazor

Oct 13, 2011
    who cares what most people like Nick... its a great piece and there is an audience for all great pieces. you do great work, and anyone who appreciates it will have no trouble appreciating this little gem.

19. Patrice Lemée

Patrice Lemée

Aug 13, 2002
    I like it a lot Nick. First thing I thought was “gotta make myself on of those”. A crappier version of course :eek: but that's how much I like it. :thumbup:

20. Doug C

Doug C

Mar 15, 2005
    Little gem is a good description, I like it.
    Also like Joss' laminate idea.

Doug