1. BladeForums has ZERO TOLERANCE for extremism or calls of violence. We request your assistance dealing with this as we do not want to see the site shut down due to violent threats. Please see this thread here in Tech Support: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/bladeforums-has-a-zero-tolerance-policy-towards-threats-of-violence-extremism-be-warned.1769537/

Please Confirm XM-18 3.5" Authenticity

Discussion in 'Rick Hinderer Knives' started by benm11, Dec 9, 2012.

1. benm11

benm11

Sep 9, 2012
    I won this on an undisclosed auction site today (hint: it rhymes with fleabay) and I wanted to check with you guys to make sure it was authentic prior to paying for it. I am fairly confident that it is authentic but it went for a steal of a price which just makes me a little nervous.

I also wanted to make sure that you veterans don't notice anything that was modified that would void Rick's warranty.

Thanks guys!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. RobertK

RobertK post tenebras lux Gold Member

Dec 1, 2010
    I was watching this auction (not bidding, just watching) and noticed it ended. Kind of cool someone on the forums won it. Congrats, assuming you get the okay from the more experienced (looks good to me).

3. benm11

benm11

Sep 9, 2012
    Yeah, I was watching it and I decided I would toss a bid out there and I was really surprised I got it for what I did. I was thinking the red would complement my black 3.5" XM I currently have :D

Now I just hope someone chimes in to ok this so I can thin my wallet!

4. Birdhunter1220

Birdhunter1220 Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 3, 2011
    I do believe you got the real deal there. I was keeping an eye on it also. I am not sure it is blue anodized, that may be just the lighting, but I am 100% sure it is a real deal. A good price for a great knife. Enjoy

5. RobertK

Dec 1, 2010
    ^ sweet. Really great price.

6. JBK2596

JBK2596

Oct 7, 2010
    Wow that puppy went low! Good snag!:thumbup:

7. BWilson678

BWilson678

Aug 27, 2011
    When you get it check where the steel is marked on the blade - I've heard the knockoffs aren't marked as clearly. Great score!

8. benm11

benm11

Sep 9, 2012
    I believe this is the unmarked version with Duratech 20CV

9. Maprik

Maprik

May 17, 2012
    I see no indications of it being a fake. Nice score!!!

10. misterjuiceman

misterjuiceman

Sep 19, 2009
    If that's fake, then they're getting pretty damned close to the real deal. Enjoy it.

11. Seven1Niner

Seven1Niner

Apr 27, 2010
    That is a real Hinderer XM-18 3.5" Non Flipper. Beautiful knife! Love the Red G10 scales. You don't see a lot of scales in that color. Congrats and enjoy your new Hinderer XM-18.

Cheers.

12. Lone_Wolfe

Lone_Wolfe Dazed and Confused Platinum Member

May 3, 2011
    It's real, it's a 3rd Gen. Pretty sure it's not anodized, just funky lighting on those pics. Look how blue the blade looks compared to the other pics. Congrats.

13. Need2Know

Need2Know

Aug 31, 2011
    Looks like an early Gen 3. I cannot confirm too much detail without better photos or hands-on experience.

I don't know what some of you are saying about blue ano...I don't see it in these photos.

14. franzdom

franzdom

Sep 6, 2012
    was it misspelled? I can't find it :)

15. misterjuiceman

misterjuiceman

Sep 19, 2009
    It's the lighting--no blue ano.

16. nilfire77

nilfire77

Jan 16, 2012
    Yup, seems like the real deal there.. congratz on the catch!

17. Need2Know

Need2Know

Aug 31, 2011
    Yes the lighting is doo doo at best in those images.

My words may have served better as a question.

Some mentioned something about blue on this knife, I don't see any blue bits, so what is the conversation about blue? I'm guessing it was listed as blue somewhere, I have no idea.

18. benm11

benm11

Sep 9, 2012
    I don't know where the blue came about. There was nothing listed about the knife being blue and it doesn't look blue to me personally.

If it arrives blue, I will be pleasantly surprised! :D

19. RobertK

Dec 1, 2010
    From memory, didn't the listing say it had blue standoffs?

20. Capbyrd

Capbyrd

Mar 15, 2012
    Just for the record, I've still never seen a counterfeit non-flipper.