Please help identify this small hatchet

I'm new to posting but love reading here. I would appreciate some assistance in identifying this recently acquired small hatchet. It has a partial "TRADEMARK" marking that may look familiar to someone with more experience than myself. It appears that the marking was not pressed deeply into the steal because it does not show signs of any work done on it. Some faint light colored paint still remains and the dried adhesive remnants of a possible paper label on the opposite side of the pressed mark. The hatchet weights 1 lb and measures approximately 5 inches in length and 3 inches on the bit side. I found the hatchet in Madison, Wisconsin.

AF1QipN9_-3lxdJ9VNKoVxd3dULswTaw05FyrlIDfYL0

AF1QipMxwd70ZPMUArgcRZJw6QplmWPXC29m6jeVQP8C

AF1QipM0AIAawvbVe0RViKEDyVMIUoVf7Zid6RUXrttX

9wtB3LyiLNlnePUB3

Last edited:
The overall head looks CRAFTSMAN to me, but I don't think this stamp could be Craftsman.
Probably made by whoever made the Craftsman version for sears.

Thank you for your input. I also thought it could possibly be Craftsman or same maker. I will try to research further in that direction. Winchester was another thought I had based on shape. Additionally, both companies also used the word "Trademark" on their logos. However, I could not find any logos from either Craftsman or Winchester that looked exactly like this with the solid line above the Trademark word.

Thank you for your input. I also thought it could possibly be Craftsman or same maker. I will try to research further in that direction. Winchester was another thought I had based on shape. Additionally, both companies also used the word "Trademark" on their logos. However, I could not find any logos from either Craftsman or Winchester that looked exactly like this with the solid line above the Trademark word.
Yeah the Craftsman stamp would be

=CRAFTSMAN=
=Reg us Trademark=
Or something very similar.

I believe I have solved the mystery by searching eBay for "Trademark, hatchet". The search produced a small hatchet stamped "CLEAN CUT" with the word "TRADE MARK" below the line under clean cut. The stamp, shape and size of the hatchet appear to be the same as mine. I can even now see the faint appearance of a circle with a four leaf clover inside before the words which was a Clean Cut brand symbol. This brand was apparently sold by a California Hardware company called Dunham, Carrigan, Hayden Co. (DCH). This is also consistent with the previous owner having been a former California resident who received the hatchet from his father. So many of these old Axes and Hatchets have a fascinating history. That's another reason why I love finding them and trying to learn their hidhist and journey.

I think you solved it. Here's another example of the
CLEAN CUT
TRADE MARK
stamp, with a partially-worn circle (around a four-leaf clover) to the left (similar to yours):

vintage-clean-cut-double-bit-axe-head_1_42aaabbb8a36c44e2b775b19941420aa.jpg

There's a "Clean Cut" logo shown on the Plumb page at YesteryearsTools, as an example of hardware distributor markings, so maybe it was made by Plumb.

Very cool Steve, Thanks. That double bit photo you posted is the best version of that Clean Cut logo I have seen yet. That's a cool axe. Is that yours? I can even make out a letter A after the words Clean Cut that is evident on my small hatchet also. Mine also appears to have the number 9 after the A. I'd love to know what these mean and if Clean Cut was made by Plumb. I'll check out Yesterday Year Tools too for additional research. I like that site and have been considering buying his axe maker pamphlets to see if they could offer more insight.

Back