Please Help Me Understand!!!!!!!

First, let me re-introduce myself. Due to the difficulty with my email getting hacked I had to re-register with BF. I tried to email SPARK to resolve the issue and get my old TAG but never recieved a reply.

I am Shane Justice. (Yeah, that guy.) Hence my new tag:

Same Old Shane

Anyhow, I was jumping through BF and came across numerous threads with pretty much the exact same topic, and I NEED SOME GOOD FOLKS TO EXPLAIN IT TO ME.

Truly I came back to the Busse forum because even when guys think I am wrong, they speak to me in a respectful tone.

Let me explain myself a bit. I am not a New Age odd ball.

If anything I put myself in the category of PRESERVATIONIST with the mind set that what we got is ALL we are gonna get. I LOVE THIS PLANET. And I accept God's desire for His children to act as good shepherds over all of His Flocks and Herds.

I pray all who read this can feel my meaning, no matter how their own heart may differ with my own faith.

Ok.....I am getting to my point.

This summer, even though I have been very sick for more than a year, my wife and I took our kids on our yearly camping trip. We had even reserved our favorite camp site.

As usual, we had the usual problems dodging ATV'S buzzing through the camp ground, and the sound of a hundred generators popping on at exactly 6AM. (The end of "quiet time" posted in the campground. But, honestly, I was just grateful to be there to see my kids, straight and tall, and living healthy in the exact same mountains that I grew up in.

In fact, our little camp, was the same site my Mom and Step-Dad brought to, 35 years before. Only then, there had been no trees. The site is in a flood plain that had been swept clean so many times that trees would not root. Back then there were maybe 20 tree in an acre.

Now our camp is surrounded by gorgeous mixed timber. Pine, spruce and even an odd cedar tree build an amazing forest.

All around our camp, every tree has been marked and scarred with heart filled initials cared so deep, the trunks are 1/2 inch deep in sap. Many trees are marked by some short prison with a hatchet, obviously so bored that whack in trees seemed more fun than not. And the nails, and screws and hooks, and spikes....yes the spikes that decorate the trees makes me more than a bit ill.

And finally, on our next to the last day....

These campground have lots of signs. 10 MPH. NO FIRES OUTSIDE FIRE RINGS. PLEASE PUT TRASH IN PROPER RECEPTICALS. And finally, "DO NOT CHOP, SAW OR CUT WOOD FROM STANDING TREES." You get the idea.

We had a new crew take over the site next to us. They had bikes and kayaks and every other manner of outdoor hoodoo. There were 3 couples in there late 20's. They looked like they stepped out of the LL Bean catalog.

None of us really took much time to do more than nod and wave. Then I heard the solid chunk of an axe in green wood. The re was all kinds of downed scrub around, all sizes. And there was wood for sale for those who don't want to get cruddy.

At first I thought maybe they were cutting some big scrub so it would fit in the fire ring. Then after several minutes I heard the unmistakable sound of a tall tree falling.

At that point I took notice. Dude had felled a live tree, with his own double-bitted axe. He had not even bothered to cut it close to the ground. There was the fresh yellow stump, protruding from the ground three feet high, about 12 inches across.

All I could think of, "Why?"

Why do people trek into the forest, all for the pleasure of experiencing the community of trees, and then pull out their favorite implement, and begin killing for no reason other than entertainment? ???

I see knife makers do this sometimes trying to prove how great their products are. Mostly they prove their lack of character, and their true ineptitude at woodsmanship.

Can anybody explain why people do this? Is it just to have a chance to pound a chest and feel "MANLY"?

PLEASE, I am so tired of seeing trees chopped down just to show-off a new toy that there are no words to describe it.

Same Old Shane

Same reason people burn fossil fuels in cars to go places that they don't really need to go, like camping, I guess.

To me depends on where you are. Few years back was camping in northern Washington we had a pritty remote spot next to a little lake all had 4x4 except one friend geting into the camping site his truck had a lil issue and stripped some bark from a root a day later we had some forest rangers happen to stop by they ended up giving him a 300$ ticket for damaging a tree in national forest and told us that it was a good thing we had tied tarps to the trees instead of mailing them because they would of fined us a $100 a nail. I would hate to see a ticket for chopping down a tree in a campground.

It is very simple, as Ron White the Comedian says "You can't fix stupid", unfortunately in this country we have more than our fair share!! If you want to chop, and do not have access to trees that can be chopped and then harvested as firewood (put to a useful purpose) then take a trip to your Home depot and get some 2x4's and have at it

Hopefully you sicked the park Rangers on the double bit welding LL Bean lumberjack. I would have been all over that guy.

I was in a campground and there was a small tree/bush with a branch overhanging the fire. It was getting singed, and I was worried about the Bush catching fire. I trimmed the branch with a B11. Just push cut it off.

I got warned by the camp resident, that if a Ranger saw, it would be a multi hundred dollars fine. I showed the resident the branch was about to ignite, and set the Bush on fire. He said it would not matter to the Rangers. This was with designated fire rings. No building fire any where else.

So, Shane, what Busse did you bring on your adventure?

Because people nowadays are so self absorbed, that they think everything revolves around them, and the rules apply to all but them.

I weep for our future.

My wife and I just had our first child in April, we constantly wonder what kind future our son will have because people have become so self-absorbed and blind to their surroundings.

Case in point, I take the train to work in Pittsburgh and when I arrive to the platform every morning 99% of the people around me have their head buried in their phones.

This morning a girl with her head buried in her phone with her earbuds in thought the train was at the platform and darn near stepped off the ledge and fell 5 feet to the track below. A few of us grabbed her right before she stepped off.

Should of asked him to stop and explained why if he was stupid enough not to know - could of stopped the problem then and there. Maybe even stopped him from doing so again in the future.

Id have to agree with the OP for the most part, except maybe if it was in the middle of nowhere, and a person needed a shelter.
Im from WA, where i go hiking theres a million trees, and the middle of nowhere, and still i couldn't bring my self to cut down a live tree.

Hell, I'm about to have several trees cut around my house because they are becoming a threat to it. A serious threat if they are still standing the next time a hurricane or tropical storm blows through here. And I'm downright sad about it. We purposely left as many trees as possible in place when we built this place. But they are starting to lean just a bit, and it would be catastrophic if a hurricane/t.s. came through like I've lived through 3 times since I've lived in this county. But I have gotten so much pleasure just sitting and watching birds search the bark for insects. And lizards dart up and down near the bases. And the occasional squirrel. I mean, we have several hundred other trees of various sizes on our property. But these were placed just right for me to sit and watch. I'm going to miss them. But just is no choice. So I can definitely sympathize with you, SoShane. I can't stand people who don't appreciate what God has given them.

Hey Shane,

He's a jerk for cutting the tree down... and should be slapped... with a fine, the back of the hand, whatever. But LLBean's not so bad... they make some nice flannel, and when it's on sale, it's even better. Now, Jcrew is another matter... ;)

This my friend, hits the nail on the head. How many times do I hear a day that its not my fault because of (fill in the blank with some pathetic excuse). Just this week on the way to school my kids wanted a doughnut. While waiting in the line behind a lady and her kids, I see a young lady texting on her phone at the register. Now there is just about enough room for two people to stand side by side at the register. She is standing to the left of the register. We get to the front, make our order and my son asks for a bag of chips for his snack time today. Low and behold the chip rack on the counter was smack in front of the lady texting. My son being extremely polite said excuse me in a meek manner and tried to reach the chips. He could not, he is 9. So he asked the lady (owner of the place) if she could get him the chips. She was happy to and then politely asked the lady if she move a bit in order to get the chips. Now the lady texting has not acknowledged my son, the lady that owns the place or anyone else. So I said "Excuse me Mam can I get a bag a chip please" She looks at me, shoots me a dirty look, starts cursing how she is not even in the way and blurts out of curse word. I move her gently out of the way as I get a bag of chips. I tell her that yes indeed she is the way and there is no reason to use that kind of language. So she shoots my kid a dirty look and almost has the look like she is going to smack him or something. I step in front and tell her there is the door, use it. She stomps out yelling how she cant even send one text and everyone is so rude. 3 tables worth of people tell me she has been standing at the register since they got there as well as the whole time we were there. And yes, they all agreed she was in the way and thanked me for putting her out the door. Once we got our order I went out the door fast looking for my new friend. She sped out of the parking just as I made it to the door. I waved and smiled and I could see her spitting and cursing. I only hope she ran off a bridge somewhere, while texting. Thats our next generation. Cant wait until they are in charge of government positions. Its gonna be a fine world indeed.

Because people nowadays are so self absorbed, that they think everything revolves around them, and the rules apply to all but them.

I weep for our future.

This is a willow tree that was growing too close to the house and was blown down in a hurricane.

I don't know why other people chopped up trees, but I don't assume they had lesser reasons.

Well, my trees are cut, and I see some lunch for my DTBM. I'm cutting them down for the reasons I posted above.

I think it comes down to a lack of respect and consideration for anyone but themselves. A trait that's getting all too common these days. It was what they wanted to do so they believed they had every right to do it because it's what THEY wanted. But at least their self esteem wasn't damaged by being told they weren't the only person that mattered in the world while they were growing up. They're SPECIAL.

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/s...ing-for-a-particular-prybar-carving-type-tool

This thread made me shake my head as well. Just because someone has done something before you doesn't make it alright to do. Plenty of things in human history that we would be better off not repeating.

Crotchety old man rant mode off. I didn't realize we gen-Xers were getting that old....

Back