Please, help. Tough decision.

**EDIT I can get any knife under 200. Not just these 2. But I want to try out either.

So the girlfriend insists on buying me a present. New-ish to knives here. Alright guys, tough choice here. I dont know how M4 steel is but ive heard it was nice. How hard is it to sharpen? And how does it hold an edge?

I have the choice between a Paramilitary S30V

Or a 950 Benchmade Rift in M4. The Benchmade has the black coating on it if that makes anyones choice easier. Only 50 are being made. And its 144.95

Do rifts suck? I have no idea about benchmade, and it will be my first benchmade, and also spydie. Any input guys? Thanks. It will be used for everyday tasks, cutting cardboard, opening boxes, slicing food. Anything.. Sorry if I sound like a novice here, but I am.:rolleyes:

I like benchmade but i despise coated blades so if it has to be a black blade i would go paramilitary. Either way they are both good.

MG

M4 is a high speed tool steel, not a stainless steel. It is fairly easy to sharpen, takes a screaming sharp edge and holds it pretty well as long as you take care of it. The black coating is there to prevent rust, but the coating doesn't cover the edge, so the knife can lose its edge to rust just sitting around.

S30V is a stainless steel, is a little harder to sharpen, takes a good service edge (but not as fine as M4), holds that edge well and is much less prone to rust. The compression lock of the Paramilitary takes some getting used to, and seems to be a love it or hate it point on the knife.

Thanks bro, Any reason why you dont like coated? A personal preference?

I can't speak for him, but it is probably personal preference. Some people don't like the black coating because it gets scratched up in use, making the knife look more used than it really is. Some people don't like the coating because they think it makes you look like a wannabe Special Forces Operator who has to have a tacticool non-reflective knife for deanimating sentries. I don't mind the coating on a non-stainless knife, but I find it a bit silly on stainless steel blades. Of course, I'm sitting here with a black blade digital camo S30V Spyderco Military in my pocket, so you know it doesn't bother me too much. ;)

for under 200 id get a Ti Sage. but of those 2 i'd probably get the rift, because only 50 are being made. you can get a para in a couple months no problem but not the rift.

Thanks everyone. All of this has helped, and has been taken into consideration greatly, and one more thing towards yablanowitz, if you see this, What is the main thing to do to take care of the M4, oil or drylube, any great companys? And would the benchmade be a a more all around tough knife or more on the dainty side, compared to the para that is. And I like that sage, but i love G10 for grip.

My opinion on coated blades:
I prefer the look of an uncoated blade and have never had issues with rust in my users so I've never bothered with a coated blade since I haven't needed to.
If you work in a high humidity area or like the look, go for it. I've just never found a need for one.

Anarkxx

Shoot me an email if you don't mind. You don't have yours set up. Thanks!

flamtnbkr [at] gmail [dot] com

Thanks everyone. All of this has helped, and has been taken into consideration greatly, and one more thing towards yablanowitz, if you see this, What is the main thing to do to take care of the M4, oil or drylube, any great companys? And would the benchmade be a a more all around tough knife or more on the dainty side, compared to the para that is. And I like that sage, but i love G10 for grip.

Not too difficult. Keep it dry when you can, wipe it down after use, keep a little mineral oil on the blade if you use it for food prep or wipe it down with a TuffCloth once in a while if you don't. If you are aware of the potential, you will probably never have a problem.

I stopped buying Benchmade knives when they introduced the Vex, so I can't really compare the two models, but the Rift would have to be a real battleax to out-tough the Paramilitary.

The Rift is a really tough feeling knife. At least, that's how it felt when I handled it at the store. I actually owned and used a Para and the tip always had me a little worried but it never failed me. I would think that the Rift has a more durable tip, although the Para's tip should be fine for any reasonable use. An interesting thing about these two knives is that the blade to handle ratio is very different for each. The Para has a smaller blade in contrast to the handle and finger choil than many other knives with its overall length. The Rift on the other hand has a longer than normal blade compared to its handle. They pretty much packed as much blade length as they could on the Rift while still allowing it to be covered by the handle in the closed position.

So that might influence you decision a little. Personally I really like the blade to handle ratio on the Para and tend to dislike the type of blade to handle ratio on the Rift which with regard to the ratio is very much like Spyderco's Stretch.

Back