1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Spyderco C230GPPBK Lil Native Black Blade & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Nov 16!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Nov 17 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here
  2. Esav Benyamin has passed. Please pay your respects here

Please, is this chef's knife 1095 very chippy?

Discussion in 'Kitchen Cutlery & Tools' started by cmarino, Nov 8, 2019 at 7:58 PM.

1. cmarino

cmarino

Nov 6, 2019
    I am a a kind of semi professional, and on-call, as well as volunteer cook during winter holidays. I am looking for a new knife which must be easy or relatively easy to sharpen, to hold its edge very well, preferably NON-stainless steel, and must be stiff - I'm fed up with modern lightweight thin blades and their "great" flex which makers advertise as features (OK, maybe it's a feature to many people, but not for my style or my preferences.

I can not afford even lower prices Japanese knifes, nor artisan knifes by individual knife smiths in Western hemisphere, and BTW in my hand Japanese handles aren't that comfortable. It has to be a classic western style handle, and a symmetrical 50/50 bevel. So, I am not considering artisan or Japanese knives.

By searching for knives online, I stumbled upon R. Murphy chef's knife 8" made of 1095 steel. In one of his YT videos on the company, the owner said all their knives are heat treated to 61 HRC. Great ! Hard and stiff, exactly what I am after, But, 61 HRC makes its edge very chippy, right ?

My knife's edge is always in contact with a cutting board which I always carry on me (wood and nothing else), chopping veggies and herbs all the time, and I have no intentions chopping bones with it, however, it happens occasionally knives will strike a bone by coincidence while slicing. That's what worries me about 1095 and 61 HRC, if this knife is really hardened to 61.

It may not be chippy at all in such situations, I don't know, someone with the first-hand experience would be able to tell probably, that's why I am asking.

The other option might be Old Hickory chef's knife 8" also 1095, but usually you get what you pay for, and its low price is instilling some doubt in its quality. This knife might be quite ugly for modern standards, but I am looking for functionality and performances, not for kitchen decoration. Does anyone actively here using this knife ?

Thank you.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2019 at 8:05 PM
  2. Ourorboros

Ourorboros

Jan 23, 2017
    No experience with this particular knife.
    However 1095 is roughly similar to Japanese White Steel #2. At 61 HRC it shouldn't be chippy - though experience with J-knives says a thorough sharpening will take care of any early problems. That is, sometimes knives are unexpectedly chippy, but after sharpening from course to fine the problem is not found again.
    Now 65+ HRC, that's chippy.

3. roosterscrow

roosterscrow

Oct 20, 2012
    I picked up an Old Hickory chefs knife, but find it lacking in height to actually use as a chefs knife. (not enough clearance between handle and board to fit fingers :rolleyes:) I'm not sure what they where thinking?

4. 3fifty7

3fifty7 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 24, 2016
    With the Old Hickory you will find a blade that’s thicker behind the edge than necessary and a handle that is not conducive to working a full shift.
    If you were to pick one up and have it rehandled and reground it could fit your needs and possibly within your budget.

5. Spideyjg

Spideyjg

Nov 7, 2017
    Look on Evilbay for old Forgecraft, Dexter, Clyde Cutlery, or Robinson for good old carbon Chefs. I prefer Dexter for thin Robinson for thick.