Plungeless knife

Well guys , payback time ;) This knife take from me many sweat https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/distal-taper-handle.1460137/page-3

I cut the shape of knife , drill hole for pins and make M6 thread .I fixed blank to jig with three M6 bolts , set angle on rest plate and I grind ..............I grind ONLY one side till I get to about 1mm. on edge . Perfect ...........Distal taper from tip to but and tapered tang . Only I need to correct angle on spine , because have some weird angle now :D Blank was 5mm. thick 1.2519 steel . weight of blank is 290 grams before grinding .Blank is same dimension as first knife , except little changes in tang . First knife finished weights only 185 grams .....
So what do you think guys ? I can t see no flaw grinding only one side ? I m thinking to make thin kitchen knife this way . I forgot to take photo from spine side ...........
bUghTPo.png

91X4tHY.jpg

yeWVqfp.jpg

Rx49oCv.jpg

UufAOzx.jpg

fdp3y6g.jpg

7NKhBRA.jpg

uxdRNI4.jpg

BW , I found that zirconia belts are much better from ceramic for grinding anealed steel .....

Last edited:
Warping may be a problem, for conventionally cast/wrought steels, the structure changes from the outside to the center.

Hoss

At the very least I like the outside the box thinking. Look at how traditional Japanese blades are ground. Plungeless and distal taper

PJ Tomes used to buy a high carbon stainless that was already beveled and make kitchen knives from it. It left very little grinding and finishing.

I have one around here somewhere.

I couldn’t get him to reveal the source of that material and now that he’s past away, we may never know.

Hoss

PJ Tomes used to buy a high carbon stainless that was already beveled and make kitchen knives from it. It left very little grinding and finishing.

I have one around here somewhere.

I couldn’t get him to reveal the source of that material and now that he’s past away, we may never know.

Hoss

I would buy a mile steel like that . Two mile if it is already hardened /HT :)

Last edited:
Always like your thinking Natlek. Thought you'd enjoy this photo of tapered steel supplied by a French mill to an English Cutlery firm. Some discussion of it on bladesmiths forum in 2011 HERE.
Saludos
J
JDWARE KNIVES

bbNjvqR.jpg

Attachments

• post-28509-1311865460722.jpg
    post-28509-1311865460722.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 6
Back