1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Ontario Knives Spec Plus SP8 Machete Survival Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Plungeless knife

Discussion in 'Shop Talk - BladeSmith Questions and Answers' started by Natlek, Feb 13, 2018.

1. Natlek

Natlek

Jun 9, 2015
    Well guys , payback time ;) This knife take from me many sweat https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/distal-taper-handle.1460137/page-3

I cut the shape of knife , drill hole for pins and make M6 thread .I fixed blank to jig with three M6 bolts , set angle on rest plate and I grind ..............I grind ONLY one side till I get to about 1mm. on edge . Perfect ...........Distal taper from tip to but and tapered tang . Only I need to correct angle on spine , because have some weird angle now :D Blank was 5mm. thick 1.2519 steel . weight of blank is 290 grams before grinding .Blank is same dimension as first knife , except little changes in tang . First knife finished weights only 185 grams .....
    So what do you think guys ? I can t see no flaw grinding only one side ? I m thinking to make thin kitchen knife this way . I forgot to take photo from spine side ...........
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    BW , I found that zirconia belts are much better from ceramic for grinding anealed steel .....

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
    Jesenius, Steve Beckwith and Tin.Man like this.
  2. DevinT

DevinT KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jan 29, 2010
    Warping may be a problem, for conventionally cast/wrought steels, the structure changes from the outside to the center.

Hoss

gunfixrjoe likes this.
  3. Tin.Man

Tin.Man

Sep 5, 2010
    At the very least I like the outside the box thinking. Look at how traditional Japanese blades are ground. Plungeless and distal taper

4. DevinT

DevinT KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jan 29, 2010
    PJ Tomes used to buy a high carbon stainless that was already beveled and make kitchen knives from it. It left very little grinding and finishing.

I have one around here somewhere.

I couldn’t get him to reveal the source of that material and now that he’s past away, we may never know.

Hoss

Tin.Man likes this.
  5. Natlek

Natlek

Jun 9, 2015
    I would buy a mile steel like that . Two mile if it is already hardened /HT :)

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
    Tin.Man and DevinT like this.
  6. Natlek

Natlek

Jun 9, 2015
    That's what I was most afraid of with first one , but have no problem ..come out straight :thumbsup:

Jesenius, Tin.Man and DevinT like this.
  7. JDWARE

JDWARE

Nov 28, 2011
    Always like your thinking Natlek. Thought you'd enjoy this photo of tapered steel supplied by a French mill to an English Cutlery firm. Some discussion of it on bladesmiths forum in 2011 HERE.
    Saludos
    J
    JDWARE KNIVES

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

Natlek and Tin.Man like this.
  8. Jesenius

Jesenius

Feb 16, 2016
    I can confirm it. I made some of mine kitchen knives plunge-less too. Grinding one side saved Me lot of time. I do HT before grinding to avoid bending or warping.

Natlek likes this.