PM2 Broken Tip

Barman1

Gold Member
Looking for some advice for a fix on this one.šŸ˜„

A friend dropped this one off for me to do some repairs and I'm looking for options.
I was busy as hell so I didn't get a chance to ask how this knife was treated so egregiously.šŸ˜³
I can't really remember but Spyderco doesn't do re-blades correct?
So if I need to do a grind what kind of reprofile would you all consider?
I was thinking of grinding the spine down a bit then bringing the tip edge up a little for strength.
Figured I'd ask here before I dropped a thread on the maintenance sub.
Thanks!
20220527_110943.jpg

I personally would take the spine down in a straight line from the hump to about halfway down the break, then round the edge up to meet it, then grind new edge bevels on the repaired area. Rounding it down like the "reinforced" tips on the newer knives would be faster and remove less steel, but I think it looks like crap. Just my opinion.

Oh, and you are correct that Spyderco does not do reblades.

I'm only aware of benchmade thag does reblades.

How does your friend want it repaired? To grind it back to have thd original profile or something else like making it a reverse tanto tip or clip point?

If it were mine, which it's not, I would pick an angle that looked good from tip to spine and just make it pointy again. It won't have a meaty tip but it would cut well.

They won't REPLACE a blade but they will regrind it. At least they once did on an Endura w/a broken tip for me.

Give them a call to ask if they will do this or not.

If Spyderco won't do it, there are certainly a lot of knife makers here (and elsewhere) who will, if you aren't skilled enough to do it yourself.

Last edited:

A friend dropped this one off for me to do some repairs and I'm looking for options.
I was busy as hell so I didn't get a chance to ask how this knife was treated so egregiously.šŸ˜³
So if I need to do a grind what kind of reprofile would you all consider?
I was thinking of grinding the spine down a bit then bringing the tip edge up a little for strength.
Figured I'd ask here before I dropped a thread on the maintenance sub.
Thanks!
View attachment 1829410
I'd bring the tip up a hair then snub nose it. Kind of like a delica.

Thanks everyone.
I was thinking of profiling like the Endura/Delica originally but the Kahr looks sweet, completely forgot about that model (that's why I ask you guys:thumbsup:).
Either way it's going to look stubby but I'd hate to waste a perfectly usable piece of S45VN.
Rainy day tomorrow, it'll be a nice little project.
I'll get some pictures up...

I'm only aware of benchmade thag does reblades.

How does your friend want it repaired? To grind it back to have thd original profile or something else like making it a reverse tanto tip or clip point?

If it were mine, which it's not, I would pick an angle that looked good from tip to spine and just make it pointy again. It won't have a meaty tip but it would cut well.

Kershaw/ZT replace blades as well.

Spyderco also reground the blade on a Jess Horn model I had abused. Did a great job.

Just finished up.
I went with a Kahr-like profile and it looks nice!
And for the full service treatment, sharpened/cleaned/adjusted/lubed.
Now to see how the owner feels about the new profile...
20220528_105145.jpg20220528_110758.jpg20220528_112107.jpg
20220528_113034.jpg
20220528_120519.jpg

Back