Pm2 tanto black, one with silver/bare liners on with black

I snagged 2 of the BHQ black tantos on the last drop and because of the site loading issues I ended up with 2 in my cart. It worked out though because a buddy didn't get one before it sold out so I let him buy the extra at cost.

We were both admiring them (I just swapped my scales to some micarta ones) when he pointed out his liners and backspacers were black while mine were bare metal/silver.

Is this normal? Are they part of two different batches? (I only own one pm2 so no way I mixed anything up)... I kinda wish mine was all black now lol.

Yup, some of them have uncoated liners while others are coated. Based on the reports I've seen, all of the EU and some of the FU date codes are uncoated, while the remainder are coated. I've seen similar reports about the SMKW PM2 as well.

Given how obsessive people seem to be over the new coated liners, it probably wasn't the best idea for Spyderco to mix it up in the middle of the run. Those black liners are probably going to carry a $50 premium on the secondary market.

Yup, some of them have uncoated liners while others are coated. Based on the reports I've seen, all of the EU and some of the FU date codes are uncoated, while the remainder are coated. I've seen similar reports about the SMKW PM2 as well.

Given how obsessive people seem to be over the new coated liners, it probably wasn't the best idea for Spyderco to mix it up in the middle of the run. Those black liners are probably going to carry a $50 premium on the secondary market.
So I gave my buddy the better one? Dang it lol

Back