PM2 Walmart Question

So I got a Walmart gift card from my company's Christmas party this year. My wife being the awesome person she is said why don't you get a new knife with it!! My question is would you guys consider buying a PM2 from Walmart or do you think the risk of a fake is high? It does say sold and shipped from Walmart and not a third party.

I've never had trouble going to Walmart and buying something or doing in store pick up but I have had a ton of trouble shipping with them, but I've never gotten a fake so I think you'll be fine just be careful with shipping.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just one caution about Wal-Mart knives: sometimes they offer special versions of popular knives in cheaper blade steel. This happens a lot with Kershaws at Wal-Mart. Sometimes you can tell because the serial number will be different, like "Keshaw 1760WM", but not always. Usually they substitute the standard 8Cr13MOV with 2Cr or 3Cr steel. If my memory serves, it happens with CRKT and some Buck models too.

I don't think this is even a possibility with a Spyderco purchased thru Wal-Mart, but its something to be aware of for future purchases.

You'll love that PM2, its such an awesome knife!

I have bought Spydercos from them before and can tell you that there is a very high chance of getting a fake or a used knife. Only because people will by real ones and swap them out with fakes and return them. I wish I would've taken a picture of the Hungarian I got once from them with somebody's ghetto DIY "jimping" they did to the spine with a dremel tool. :barf:

Though, if you must, you can always get your money back if you receive a dud.

I have bought Spydercos from them before and can tell you that there is a very high chance of getting a fake or a used knife. Only because people will by real ones and swap them out with fakes and return them. I wish I would've taken a picture of the Hungarian I got once from them with somebody's ghetto DIY "jimping" they did to the spine with a dremel tool. :barf:

Though, if you must, you can always get your money back if you receive a dud.

I never thought about this!! Wal-Mart will take back anything!!
Maybe I should look into a new fishing reel instead :(

I wouldn't worry about it too much. You can always return it at any store and get the reel then if you do somehow manage to get a fake. Honestly, though fakes do get into some reputable stores supply chains, the chances of that happening to you are slim. The examples of it here are legitimate but a very small percentage of the numbers purchased. Think of it this way, usually bad news gets reported, a smooth transaction is expected and isn't mentioned.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just one caution about Wal-Mart knives: sometimes they offer special versions of popular knives in cheaper blade steel. This happens a lot with Kershaws at Wal-Mart. Sometimes you can tell because the serial number will be different, like "Keshaw 1760WM", but not always. Usually they substitute the standard 8Cr13MOV with 2Cr or 3Cr steel. If my memory serves, it happens with CRKT and some Buck models too.

I don't think this is even a possibility with a Spyderco purchased thru Wal-Mart, but its something to be aware of for future purchases.

You'll love that PM2, its such an awesome knife!

Hi Hackenslash -

Can you provide any examples of this practice with Kershaw? I follow them pretty closely and the walmart models are all the same items and blade steel that is otherwise sold elsewhere.

The only difference I have seen was that during Christmas there are special "clam pack" bundles that are not offered through other outlets.

I heard this same sort of complaint about the Buck 110s a few years ago, and that was debunked as being not true - same knives just a different store.

I have never seen a Spyderco offered at any of my local walmarts.

best

mqqn

Any knife in any store - Walmart, Cabela's, Gander Mountain, Bass Pro, etc - is likely to be made in China if it is hanging on a wall in a "clam package" especially if the price is a little lower than expected. You have to check the packaging to see where it was made but I have found that most manufacturers have a budget priced line that use lesser steels and other materials and most are made in China.

I learned this several years ago when I forgot to put my Buck Cadet in my luggage and the TSA confiscated my knife when I emptied my pockets. When I got back from my trip I bought a new Buck in a clam package for a good price. Only later did I discover the blade was not stamped USA and when I checked other knives in another store the packaging said made in China. I stopped in a Cabelas and found the same thing but when I asked an employee if they had any made in the USA he said sure, reached under the counter and presented me with a boxed Buck Cadet with USA on the blade.

Most manufacturers have a budget line and they are not fakes just a cheaper version some times made with lower quality materials but most assuredly made in a country where labor is cheaper.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I never thought about this!! Wal-Mart will take back anything!!
Maybe I should look into a new fishing reel instead :(

fishing reel will have the same issue.:)

there is a sams club/walmart purchasing department buyer and he's a buck knife enthusiast on the forums from time to time. spends his time, that i noticed in the buck forum. if anyone would know the inside scoop of good idea bad idea this gentleman would. if you do a search for walmart buyer i'm sure you'll find his name and contact info.

Hi Hackenslash -

Can you provide any examples of this practice with Kershaw? I follow them pretty closely and the walmart models are all the same items and blade steel that is otherwise sold elsewhere.

The only difference I have seen was that during Christmas there are special "clam pack" bundles that are not offered through other outlets.

I heard this same sort of complaint about the Buck 110s a few years ago, and that was debunked as being not true - same knives just a different store.

I have never seen a Spyderco offered at any of my local walmarts.

best

mqqn

Hi mqqn,

I think I actually have one or two Kershaw "WM" blades, I just need to dig them up and find them. This is a hectic time of year so it may take a while to sort this out. If this thread dies down, I'll shoot you a note via pm to share what I've found when I get there.

Best regards and Happy Holidays!

Hi mqqn,

I think I actually have one or two Kershaw "WM" blades, I just need to dig them up and find them. This is a hectic time of year so it may take a while to sort this out. If this thread dies down, I'll shoot you a note via pm to share what I've found when I get there.

Best regards and Happy Holidays!

No big deal - and thanks!

Merry Christmas - hope you get something sharp!

best

mqqn

I heard my name!

The Kershaws with the "WM" on the end of the serial number are Walmart exclusives. That much is true. But the blade steel will not deviate from what is advertised. If the package says 8cr, its 8cr. At least in my time at Walmart, I did not source a single knife where I asked for the blade steel to be different from the main line item. From Kershaw, I sourced unique colors that necessitated the "WM" label. Kershaw and many others will also add the unique model number for Walmart-specific packaging. In addition, a boxed knife at Walmart has an orange sticker with a located number to determine where it goes under the counter. Several suppliers printed this number on the box so therefore they used a separate model number.

Spyderco is in ~2000 Walmarts now. Only up to the Delica in select stores. If you can verify that the PM2 is shipped and sold by Walmart, I wouldn't have a problem with it. We have a direct relationship with Spyderco and the product is legit. I would NOT buy from a third party on Walmart.com.

It's too bad the gift card is to Walmart and not samsclub.com HINT HINT where I now buy all the sporting goods HINT HINT working on some great deals on knives HINT HINT I'm even working on some Spyderco stuff now. :D

Hey cool - I am a Sam's member too, so I will check that out!

best

mqqn

Those Kershaw WM blades are not downgraded versions of certain models.

They are different models entirely, made for budget shoppers.

Pay attention and the difference is obvious.

It's not like you're gonna buy a Blur, for example, and find out the steel is 2crxxx or whatever.

That knife comes in mid and premium steels. Not garbage ones for Walmart.

They make entirely separate knives for that, as an intro to the brand.

I would buy any name brand knife there. But I would exercise a little common sense and read the package or Google something to know what I'm getting.

Like I would anywhere else.

I wouldn't worry about buying from Walmart. I purchased a " Walmart exclusive " Buck Mesa this year and like it better than the regular production model.

I looked at a Kershaw Cryo at Walmart tonight and it seemed to be different than the one I have. The lockbar seemed WAY more flexible on the Walmart version. I bought mine at Gander Mountain. Are these different versions of the same knife?

Thanks.

Don't know about Walmart but, bought a Pacific Salt through Sears online. No problems.

You can always order from Walmart and ship to a nearby store. When you pick it up, if it's fake, don't accept it and they'll take the return right then and there.

This rumor about Walmart has made the rounds for years and it has cycled through various types of items. It is easily debunked and I will not share some of the silly stories I have heard and have personally embarrassed the teller over.

Back