Pocket knife throwing

Cold Steel Recon....don't try it by myself, but it seems, it works.

[video=youtube_share;pts3QnyKRFM]http://youtu.be/pts3QnyKRFM[/video]

I've seen a few videos of people using folders as throwers successfully:

CRKT Desert Cruiser

A Spyderco knife I can't identify

I believe the Cold Steel Voyager

As Seilu said above, cheap heavy knives are probably the best. I'd say a lockback knife or a very thick liner lock.

Thanks Renaissance-reborn.
I am who threw CRKT Desert Cruiser and Spyderco folding knife.It is not recommended to do this,but if necessary you can do it.I think tri ad loc from Cold Steel is good.
But if you want to break something ,try this video,

http://youtu.be/9ETUp7eAoMo

Last edited:
wow, old rapist lookin dudes arguing about not throwing folders and morons talkin about throwing a knife at a bank robber (if i was that robber i would fukn spray u and everyone around u, so great plan, ass:)), hilariousness.
The main folder i throw is this pos 2.5'' lockback from packistan. it's just a plain old-man lookin knife, heavy in the handle. i throw no-spin as well, is fun. i agree with the rapist in that balisongs make a superb thrower, but he's wrong in saying to throw wit the latch open, because doing this in the no spin style is tough, it wants to spin. latch the bastard open and throw away with it. is also a good idea to replace the cheap brass pins if it has em, with steel. i like using galvanized painters nails. just cut to length and pound with hammer to mushroom. i wouldn't ever throw an auto either (maybe at a bank robber lol) b/c they can mess up easier than standard folders. overall, no autos or linear locks, something with a heavy handle is good, butterfly's are good, buck 110 hunters are good. happy throwing bro|-)

No matter your reason for wanting to throw a folder, I don't think its idiotic. Much of the things us knife people do is foolish to other people, and they just plain dont see the point. I had the same idea as you and eventually settled upon a cold steel american lawman like I know you eventually will. Until then, like a lot of people have suggested, you should get any other cold steel knife with the triad lock specifically. I have thrown mine several times and it worked extremely well. NO edge damage, NO lock failure, and NO abnormal wear. That is what a good folder can do, despite the criticism youre receiving on this thread. The coating will wear off but I just stripped mine completely. Its not totally practical but its alot of fun and its cool to be able to say youve done it. I dont know many other knives that can do that.

My cousin found a Kershaw DWO once and began throwing it for fun and became really good at it. So far, its survived over 300+ throws.

And reading the name of this thread brought back memories. The first knife I ever got was a cheap swiss army knife. My dad bought it for me when I was 6 and my friend also had one. He talked me into throwing it at a tree when I was about 8 and off it went into the woods, never to be found again after years of looking. Even now I go to that spot every now and then and search around. It sucks being a knife addict and not having the first in the collection.

Last edited:
It sucks being a knife addict and not having the first in the collection.

have you ever thought about borrowing a friends metal detector? That would totally be worth the time and energy to me and you have a much bigger chance of finding it. Would make an awesome story too..

Oh yes!!

If I didn't have a cheap metal detector the woods all around my throwing area would be attracting lightning by now. They miss targets, go in point first under 2-4" of leaf debris and I'd never have found most of them without aid. I lost a Cold Steel Norse Axe in the woods while surveying last year. I know within 400 sq feet of where it should be but haven't found the time to take the detector miles into the woods on foot to look for it yet. It is meanwhile getting a nice patina!

On another note but related, (just thought of this) I lost a Ruger Mark I .22 pistol over the side of my boat about 1974. Ten years later we drained the lake to do work on the dam. I borrowed a friend's metal detector and found the pistol under about 6" of hard mud. I took it apart and fully cleaned the gun and lubricated it. Believe it or not, I was firing at tin cans the next day. I later sent it to Ruger because some of the springs had rusted almost in half and they refinished the gun to new for free. Metal detectors are wonderful things!

I believe it, the Ruger is a solid design.
As a youthful adult I sometimes threw folders. A cool double bladed Gerber that I found in the woods. Threw it on occasion and remember being kind of miffed that the lock broke. Many years later I threw a Benchmade 970 into a log beside a river which was surrounded with rocks trying to impress a girl. It worked she was pretty impressed and I tried to hide how relieved I was that it stuck and didn't damage the blade or land in the rocks. I guess it's a good thing to understand the dynamics of throwing a folder but it's a pretty silly idea if you value the integrity of the knife.

Back