Pocket knife

When you hear the word “pocket knife” what is your first thought?

I think of a small folder with at least two blades that goes to the bottom of your pocket and you forget about it until you need it, Old timers where the knives of choice in my family.

If you wanted a bigger knife you bought a belt knife (Buck, Gerber, Kershaw
Etc)

I just think it’s interesting that a lot of the younger generation that I work with (late teens, early twenties) seem to associate “pocket knives” with knives that have pocket clips and a four inch blade.
but you’re going to have to spend a little more now,
Walmart probably doesn’t have a good knife, theres’s really nothing decent at the regular stores at least around here.

Last edited:
I think of a traditional style folder, with a closed length of 4” or less, preferably with 2 or 3 blades. My personal favorite is the Barlow style.

to me a pocket knife is any knife that fits in a pocket -- including small fixed blades more commonly thought of as "neck knives".

to me a pocket knife is any knife that fits in a pocket -- including small fixed blades more commonly thought of as "neck knives".
Ditto. I often carry a Buck 110 in my back pocket and so I consider it at that moment to be a pocketknife. But the picture in the margin of the American Heritage Dictionary would probably be a folding scout/camp knife with one main spearpoint, an awl, a can opener, and a bail.

Zieg

Ditto. I often carry a Buck 110 in my back pocket and so I consider it at that moment to be a pocketknife. But the picture in the margin of the American Heritage Dictionary would probably be a folding scout/camp knife with one main spearpoint, an awl, a can opener, and a bail.

Zieg

I carried a 110 in my back pocket all through Junior high, high school, my service time and into college.

My first thought is a large stockman, which I carried for year, until someone stole it! I started out collecting stockmans, large, medium or small, it didn't matter as long as it was a stockman! I started kind of later but managed to put together a pretty nice collection of vintage Old Timers, and the later knives Schrade was putting out at the end, before they closed their doors for good! Honestly, I've never met a knife I didn't like! I'm obsessed with knives, I'm addicted! I'm surprised that the woman hasn't divorced me by now but, she keeps hanging in there! I reckon she's just used to me by now! We've been married for forty-six years now, and that's hard to believe!

Anyway, back to topic! When I was a kid, you could hardly wait until you turn thirteen! That's when you turned an adult in my familly, and your father presented you with a brand spanking new knife! Now days a kid gets expelled from school if he forgets he has his knife in his pocket! It won't be to many more years, and men won't carry knives in there pockets, because of the governments laws, and the ways School boards interpret them! Then the government wins again, they've just made another American tradition exstincted, and closed down another American industry!

I hope all of you guy's pay attention to what goes on in Washington with knife and gun laws! We all need to get behind the organizations that are trying to save our rights to carry a knife, or a gun! There are people out there, that want to take our knives away too! And Walmart quit carrying good knives about six years ago I'm telling you, you better be getting the knives that you want, now!

And where the hell are all these nut cases coming from, that keep showing up to shoot, and kill everyone? In my short sixty-six years on this earth, I've never seen anything like it! It makes me wonder if the anti-gun government is behind it! Believe me when I tell you, I know the government for what it is, and it wouldn't stop at anything to push that agenda!

Well, enough of the conspiracy theories! I better get out of here so, you guy's all enjoy your Memorial Day!

I switch my pocket knives often. Lately it’s been a spyderco of some sort- I have several of them. I like Chris Reeve sebenzas too.

Schrade 125OT.
I found one on the way to school one morning and carried it all through school. I don't have that one anymore but I have several others.
When I got into higher end blades in the late 70s I bought a ton of Gerbers. Those were fantastic blades back in the day.

To me, a pocket knife is some sort of SAK or camp knife, and has been for more than 55 years. That being said, I grew up thinking the Buck 110 was THE belt knife. In the years since, my belt knife has been a Busse, a Fiddleback Forge, or a JK (not necessarily in that order). But the pocket knife has remained a SAK or a camp knife (my prize pocket knife will always be my dad's USMC Engineers or Medics camp knife he carried as a medic attached to the First Marine Division in the South Pacific during WWII, but the GEC 98 Texas Camp Knife serves as its stunt double).

Back