Pocket slip question

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by EagleIH, Jul 8, 2020.

1. Onebigbill

Onebigbill Gold Member Gold Member

May 21, 2019
    GT - I'de be putting all that in a tool box for the car.:cool::D:D

blademan 13, mitch4ging and hughd like this.
  2. JB in SC

JB in SC Basic Member Basic Member

May 19, 2001
    No knife purse, I don’t have a disclaimer from Tony Bose.

3. PirateSeulb

PirateSeulb

Jun 6, 2017
    Depending on the knife and slip the main purpose for it for me is that most of my knives stay upright better with a slip. The other reason is that I do carry my knife in a pocket with other items so it helps protect it from unnecessary wear and scratches. I like my knives to look pretty and care for my knives but they are all still users who will take on wear but I want to minimize that wear.

Prester John likes this.
  4. Ron Sabbagh

Ron Sabbagh Platinum Member Platinum Member

Sep 15, 1999
    I use a leather slip for the sole purpose of keeping the knife cleaner. Less lint and debris find their way into the joints and liners. Plus...a well crafted leather pocket slip is a work of art unto itself and I enjoy that too.

anthonywelsh and sbh06 like this.
  5. PirateSeulb

PirateSeulb

Jun 6, 2017
    Don't forget that fantastic leather smell.

blademan 13 and Prester John like this.
  6. Ron Sabbagh

Ron Sabbagh Platinum Member Platinum Member

Sep 15, 1999
    YES....how could I leave that out! Still takes me back to a kid in the 1970's hippie stores....

7. sbh06

sbh06 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 5, 2015
    Lots of different reasons people do and do not use pocket slips. I use one myself that is often carried in a pocket alone. Part of the reason I use one is to keep the knife vertical in my pocket, along with keeping dirt and lint out of the pivot and liner.

8. Chui

Chui Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 10, 2012
    - true.....!

Never put a knife in my pocket, and certainly not a fat tactical pen.

Mobile phone, left pocket. Bunch o' keys, right pocket.

The jeans/trousers I wear are never baggy enough for more.

These are older photos, so the Spyderco on the clip is no longer, haven't used one for about 3~4 years.

Have three lots of black pouches and same brown.

.......no-one's right or wrong - we all do stuff to suit ourselves :cool:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. TrainedBullets

TrainedBullets

Apr 23, 2017
    I use a slip that holds a small (3.75” or less) traditional and a small pen. It’s wide enough that it stays in the vertical position in my right front pants pocket. I can slip a car fob and a front pocket wallet in as well. Left side pocket is for the cell.

I may end up going with a wider version (with a slot for a flashlight) for cargo pockets. The knife/pen version is not wide enough to stay upright all the time in those.

10. bflying

bflying Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 4, 2014
    Holy cow! That just took me back to the first time I entered a leather shop in the '70's. Thought I was in heaven. "Oooo that smell, can you smell that smell?....."

PirateSeulb likes this.
  11. Wild Willie

Wild Willie Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 19, 2018
    I use a homemade buckaroo style pouch with any knife without a lanyard loop, I carry my Douk Douk on a short fob with a carabiner clipped to a belt loop. On the knives without the loop I attach the pouch to the belt loop. They ride in my right front pocket with my flashlight, lighter, and a small pry tool. My use is more for keeping the knife upright in my pocket than anything else, but I do have a couple of nicer gecs that I'd rather not get super nasty. 15943386210731681072098.jpg
    It's ugly but fulfills it's purpose... @Horsewright makes some rather lovely ones.

bflying and guy g like this.