1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pocketability comparison question: 6 layer SAK vs Leatherman Juice CS4

Discussion in 'Multi-tools & Multi-purpose Knives' started by Jessero, Jul 25, 2018.

1. Jessero

Jessero

Jan 12, 2011
    Interested in something a bit more pocketable than my Leatherman wave, that has a wood saw and pliers. What i have found so far are the Victorinox Handyman at 6 layers, 91mm long and 5.5 oz, and the Juice CS4 at 3.25" long and 5.6 oz.

I have no problem carrying my skeletool at 5oz and 4" closed, or fieldmaster at 4 layers, 3.5 oz. So the weight and length of either i dont see as a problem... just the thickness im concerned with, never carried a 6 layer SAK and have never seen the Juice CS4 in person...

Does anyone have or could create some thickness comparison pics? I own a lot of common knives that could be used as comparison if you dont have both of the above mentioned knives.

2. 22-rimfire

22-rimfire Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 20, 2005
    The only way I would carry a six layer SAK is in a belt pouch. Three is my limit for the pocket and prefer two layer SAKs. Same applies to the Leatherman multi-tools.

3. Scott321

Scott321

Jul 20, 2016
    Just some input... I have the CS4, but I prefer the S2 overall (have 2 S2's, one for EDC and one in my work bag; CS4 went into my emergency go-bag). I have a Vic Fieldmaster, OHT, and Swisstool Spirit (among others). Personally, I like the LM pliers better (Spirit pliers are better, but it's not a SAK), but prefer the Vic saws for similarly sized models. The Swisstool Spirit shaves one ounce off from the Wave, is slightly thinner, has nice curved handles, but isn't beveled as nicely as the Wave, and the knife isn't one-hand-opening. I've used the Juice's pliers to remove many carpet staples from wood floors, but don't know that I would want to do the same with the Vic's pliers (Swisstool would be fine though).

IMO, if you use the saw more often, I'd suggest the Vic. If you use the pliers more often, I'd suggest the Juice. If you use both a lot, I'd suggest sticking with the Wave, or trying the ST Spirit. As a side note, I tested out the Juice, Fieldmaster, OHT, and Charge's saws on a 3" branch. All of them took forever. A handy 8"-10" folding saw did the same work in seconds. Also, the CS4 adds a lot of bulk to the S2 for that saw because of the added corkscrew and file.