Pohl Force Bravo One or Cold Steel Ak-47 (2010 Model)

Hi guys. Please help me out on my possible next purchase. I have been having mixed thoughts on which folder should I get.

The Pohl Force Bravo One looks darn slick and the Ak-47 looks badass too. In your opinion, which of the two knives is a better purchase in terms of value, knife maintenance, strength of lock, and overall coolness factor (LOL!). :) I would like to use the knife for general purpose needs as well as a last line of personal protection.

I appreciate the input guys. Thanks. :)

Well for value and lock strength,I would go for the AK47.But then i've never held a Bravo 1 so i'm not sure on that one.

The Pohl Force Bravo One would be my choice. The D2 steel cinches it for me.

CS AK-47 would be a better buy. Excellent locking mechanism; the Tri-Ad lock is one of the strongest type of locks that I've ever seen. Blade steel is not so bad either. Since the edge is pretty thin, you can get it shaving sharp with minimum equipment. The portruding spine (aluminum) is perfect for impact weapon. And you can open the folder using the thumb disc as wave feature.

The Pohl is the better folder though. Any one can tell me where to get Pohl folder in the US ? I'm thinking about getting one.

Hi,
Deal spotting removed.

Please take some time to get familiar with the rules here.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm a Cold Steel fan, but I handled the Pohl at a show in Holland, and it's the nicer knife. Unless indestructibility is your main concern, I'd go for the Bravo. It is very sturdy in its own right, has a much better knife steel, F&F is much better and (matter of taste) it's better to look at. Also, it's way more exclusive, if that is of any concern to you, it certainly will hold its value.

Thanks so much for the info guys. I think I have decided to go with Cold Steel. I'd still be getting the Pohl Force Brave one in the future.
Now I'm contemplating on which to get. The old Ak 47 or the 2010 version that just came out. :)

Thanks so much for the info guys. I think I have decided to go with Cold Steel. I'd still be getting the Pohl Force Brave one in the future.
Now I'm contemplating on which to get. The old Ak 47 or the 2010 version that just came out. :)

The old one is a Tank. I use it as my "small knife" for camping and such...the new one with the Tri Ad is a great EDC, lighter, smaller in the hand and very nice to cut with.

I'd get the 2010 version. Old one used some kind of axis-lock, and there were several reports that the lock did not work smoothly. When you unlock the blade by pulling one of the stud, sometimes the stud on the other side (the one that you are not pulling) remain in the locked position. So you have to pull both studs at the same time to close it.

New one use Tri-Ad lock. Simpler to operate.

You are correct, get both folders when fund allows. :thumbup:

Go for the pohl force, everyone buys those darn tri-ad locks.....Striders don't have Tri-ad locks and they pass ankersons Hard use test and beg for more. You don't need the lock.

Go for the pohl force, everyone buys those darn tri-ad locks.....Striders don't have Tri-ad locks and they pass ankersons Hard use test and beg for more. You don't need the lock.
Well Striders cost almost 10x the CS so that's no argument... :D But the Pohl IS more exclusive, no contest.

Sounds like you don't like the Tri-Ad lock. Care to share ? :)

Sounds like you don't like the Tri-Ad lock. Care to share ? :)

Bill86 is genetically predisposed to hate Cold Steel. There's always a bit of that going round here, although lately it's been quite dormant. :D

I just saw the Andrew Demko video where he compares the old and new cold Steel Ak47s. Wow! He really steps on the knife!!! haha! That impressed me and made me laugh at the same time. :)

Bill86 is genetically predisposed to hate Cold Steel. There's always a bit of that going round here, although lately it's been quite dormant. :D

I used to hate CS too until I got their Spartan folder :D

That Spartan is something. Only $60, but can take abuse like nobody's business !

CS has some nice folders, I like them now. But Lynn Thomson is another story :D

The truth is that there is not a darn thing wrong with Cold Steel folders. In addition the the Lawman, AK47 and Recon 1, I have just about the entire Voyager lineup. The locks are secure, the blades are all nicely centered, the steel takes a terrific edge and the handles are stronger than you will ever need. I don't regret a single Cold Steel purchase and curiously enough, the CS blades are the first ones that I show people.

The Triad lock looks really tough. My Ak47 is on the way.
I watched the earlier videos of Cold Steel and Lynn Thompson seems silly with his "I'm serious and so are these knives" attitude. He may look silly but the Cold Steel products really deliver.
Great knives. The demo videos now look ok with Andrew Demko being "the face" of most the Cold Steel products.

I recently got the new 2010 AK-47 and am very happy with it. I think it's an unbeatable value for $70. It might not have the flair or be as exclusive as the Pohl Force, but it gets the job done just fine! I personally really like the look of it!

Back