Police Boot Knife?

Hey guys,

Recently my brother was hired as a police officer in a town nearby. Currently, he is in the academy and is undergoing training. He came to me and asked to find him a boot knife, and i really do not know much about fixed blades. So, here I am! He's looking for a blade under 100 dollars, preferably black, and is "boot compatible." There are many sizes and shapes, but he is looking for what most cops use a knife for, and heaven forbid, self defense if need be. Thanks

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=e8mLmAJ5-oQ
Boot knives are hard to reach under normal circumstances.
Except if one is on a stair case or laying flat on the ground.
I do hope your brother also intends to have something worn higher than on his ankles.
You are right that there are many variations of boot knives.
It boils down to one's physical stature,
As in weight, height, hand size etc.
Type of boot worn.
The secureness of a Sheath carry system,
Blade shape type,
And overall length and weight of the package.
He really needs to physically feel the product
decide for himself
On what would be considered as comfortable
Unnoticeable and quick & easy to unsheath in an instant.
It has to meet this criteria and proven suitable for him
As such a package must eventually be given
His full and complete confidence in order to carry out his duties in any eventuality.
Good luck to you both!

Last edited:
I guess that if he's asking for a boot knife, that's what he wants as opposed to a belt knife, neck knife or something attached to a vest. However, you almost need to know the actual type of boot he'll be wearing, as the sheath will be as much a consideration as the knife itself. A lot of boot knives are basically daggers, and not necessarily terribly useful as anything other than defensive weapons. If that's all he wants from it, that's cool I suppose, but try to find out if he knows - or better yet, can SHOW you - the boots he wants to use this prospective knife with. The height of the boot, zip vs. laces, side zip vs. front zip, material thickness and other factors come into play.

Not being a cop, I can't weigh in on the requirements of a knife in that capacity, but I have owned my fair share of work, tactical and hiking boots over the years, and with the exception of some surplus Air Force boots (Wellco brand I believe) none of them would have allowed the attachment of a knife without serious sheath modification. I've found that a horizontally mounted "weak side" or small-of-back belt sheath can be a wonderful thing if I'm up and moving around for long periods of time, especially when carrying a concealed handgun. That might be a worthwhile alternative to boot carry.

I'm a boot knife guy mainly due to being a Harley rider for decades. Kinda comes with it. We ARE talking fixed blade here, right?

Some will disagree, but IMO the first priority is a nice boot knife SHEATH. That opens the carrying of many different knives over time. So don't scrimp on THAT. Yeah, a lot of knives can be clipped naked to your boot but a sheath makes it comfortabe 24/7. Obviously you want something thinner and light weight.

As far as the knife itself there are many good ones out there in all price ranges. I'll try to post again with suggestions after I think about it a while.

Personally, my first, and to this day favorite, boot knife is still my old original Tekna Dive Knife (maybe thirty + years old now??) and its unique snap-lock sheath. It can be double edged if you prefer and the serrations, on both edges, are remarkable. Dependability has been 100%.​

Right now I"m seeking a Hinderer Flashback and Busse Bear Cub as the next ones for my collection.

EDIT: An ESSE 3 Mil-spec would be the first I'd recommend to you to check out. And the Emerson PUK someone mentioned looks good as well, if it's bootable.

Last edited:
Back