Police,FRN

I really disliked FRN scales until I actually tried one.This FRN version of the Police looks like a home run.:thumbsup:
UsbTinZ.jpg

Hi Steelcity,

On the Police 4 design, I shrunk up the lock well so there was no need for the dent. The P4 was mostly designed for me. I guess we can discuss it? The dent was there to reduce the possibility of accidental unlocking of the knife. With the smaller lock well, that problem is not a problem.

sal

Hi Steelcity,

On the Police 4 design, I shrunk up the lock well so there was no need for the dent. The P4 was mostly designed for me. I guess we can discuss it? The dent was there to reduce the possibility of accidental unlocking of the knife. With the smaller lock well, that problem is not a problem.

sal

Sal, thanks for the reply. That make sense. I didn't realize there was a difference in the locks. Very cool how much goes into all of this and how you are constantly evolving. While for me the safety aspect is obviously important, I prefer the tactile feel of the dent as well as the looks. So even if we take safety out of the equation, I would still prefer a "dented" backlock every time. Just a quirk of mine I guess! :)

Recently got my Police 4 in the mail which makes my 2nd look at their k390. Huge fan of the Mule Team in that steel.

It sharpens very well on the Sharpmaker. Used diamonds to ultra fine and used 30 degree only. Strop a little and good to go. It wants to slice as it is designed. I’d gotten a good bit of Cedric and Ada tube time waiting for it to arrive. Pete has at least 4 videos on the P4. He loves it. It’s a special kind of knife.

Also got another Ulize recently here on BF and holding both knives together and seeing the subtle handle differences gave me an appreciation for each design.

I’m very excited for the K390 version, going to pass on the standard...what color are we looking at for K390?

The plan is for VG-10, ZDP and K390 if the model is well received.

sal
Sal- awesomeness! The ZDP would be good in the kitchen, I use my HAP40 Endura that way.

What the price on a K390/ZDP going to look like? I’m thinking $130-150 MAP?

I’m not sure if there is a more current thread on the FRN Police or not, but has anyone heard if the newer Spyderco lock-back knives have incorporated the improvements from the Native series?

I’m not sure if there is a more current thread on the FRN Police or not, but has anyone heard if the newer Spyderco lock-back knives have incorporated the improvements from the Native series?
I don't think the FRN lock back models have adopted the new improvements. The Native 5, Native Chief and Manix 2 back lock have the new floating stop pin and improvements to the lockbar and blade tang notch, it's much beefier and has better engagement/room for wear and settling in. Hopefully one day all their lock back models have this, I always found the FRN lock backs to have too little engagement between the tang and lock bar when locked up, there's just a tiny bit of tooth sitting in the tang to make it lock. Even tho they work very well and are strong enough to handle normal tasks. It would just be nice to see them all have the new improvements.

I wonder why you wouldn’t incorporate the improvements across the line? Especially when you are coming up with a new model anyway.

Seki vs. Golden is my guess. Different equipment etc, may not be able to manufacture it the new improved way there without substantial investment?

Back