Police4 Lightweight and a few mods.

I recently bought a brand new Police4 Lightweight. I was on the fence for a while, as I have both Military and Police3 knives and the Police4 of is close to both Spyderco models. The Police4 blade has cues from the Military's blade but is a tad longer and the handle is close to the handle of the Police3 with some changes.

Police3 G10, Police4 Lightweight FRN, Military. No Boye dent nor swedge/false edge on the Police4:

iRPHY8P.jpg

Police4 Ligthweight flanked by titanium handle Military and CF 52100 Military:

wCWtokO.jpg

When the Police4 arrived from the knife dealer, I liked it when compared to the Military and the Police3. Though Initally thinking, that I didnt really need the Police4 lightweight, as I already had both the Military and the Police models, I gravitated towards using the Police4 more and more. Its a tad more light weight compared to the Police3, the '4' carries comfortably and you have the option of tip up carry/blade towards the pants seam, which you cant do with the Military, if you carry it in the right hand pocket.

Now if anything, Ill let the Police3 go (not really :D ) before Ill part with the Police4 lightweight. Its a great knife.

Big fan of the Spyderco FRN knives. They are strong, can be a tad more light weight and the FRN makes them relatively affordable.

As I settled in using the Police4 and liking it more and more, I was how ever missing a few design cues from the Police3, namely the Boye dent and the swedge/false edge from the Police3.

.....so I had a knifemaker friend install them. I sent him my Police 3 and 4. Just came back and it works and looks great. He did a great job.

Boye dent addded to the Police4 (top):
G98VgL2.jpg

6Lw83KZ.jpg

Swedge/false edge:
k5CmqVU.jpg

2MdnKbh.jpg

lYillrL.jpg

Police4 and 3 - both now with Boye dent and swedge:

ELOF29J.jpg

The mods made an already good knife better IMO. If anything, I like the Police4 Lightweight even more now (if thats possible). @Sal and co hit another one out of the park

Last edited:
Thx.
Yeah, that a detail, I always liked on the Police3. Looks great on the Police4 as well.

Very nice!!!
I will get a Police lightweight at some point.
The only one I have is in K390 and it is a fantastic knife.

Great mods....I also love the Police 4 but the lack of a Boye Dent annoys me. I gotta look into getting that resolved just as you did! Thanks for posting this.

Great mods....I also love the Police 4 but the lack of a Boye Dent annoys me. I gotta look into getting that resolved just as you did! Thanks for posting this.

Personally, the presence of the Boye dent annoys me far more than its absence. I"d do the swedge and leave the lock bar smooth.

That looks really good. I miss the Boye dent on the Siren after carrying the Pacific Salt for many years.

Personally, the presence of the Boye dent annoys me far more than its absence. I"d do the swedge and leave the lock bar smooth.
The Boye dent is a matter of taste and all up to the owner of the knife. I happen to like it for its intended purpose. That being said, Ive never had a lock related accident with the Police models with or without the Boye dent.

The dent helps you locate the lock without looking.

"Boye Dent

The blade release bar, also known as the rocker arm, has a scallop-shaped recess (the "Boye Dent"), preventing accidental disengagement of the blade when the handle is gripped tightly."
- Boye knives

"The Boye Dent was pioneered by knifemaker David Boye, who is now known for designing boating knives. On his site, it says that the dent is for “preventing accidental disengagement of the blade when the handle is gripped tightly.
Essentially, when you put the palm of your hand against the release bar, there is less material there to accidentally disengage the knife.

There is another added benefit to the Boye Dent as well.

Let’s do an experiment. If you have an old school Delica without the dent, grab it, close your eyes, and slide your fingers down the back of the handle to search for the release. You may be able to feel the rocker arm, but it takes some focus. The dent gives you something immediate and tangible to look for without having to divert your visual attention."
- a blog from a knife depot, which I cant link to due to BF rules.

"Boye Dent

The blade release bar, also known as the rocker arm, has a scallop-shaped recess (the "Boye Dent"), preventing accidental disengagement of the blade when the handle is gripped tightly."
- Boye knives

"The Boye Dent was pioneered by knifemaker David Boye, who is now known for designing boating knives. On his site, it says that the dent is for “preventing accidental disengagement of the blade when the handle is gripped tightly.
Essentially, when you put the palm of your hand against the release bar, there is less material there to accidentally disengage the knife.

There is another added benefit to the Boye Dent as well.

Let’s do an experiment. If you have an old school Delica without the dent, grab it, close your eyes, and slide your fingers down the back of the handle to search for the release. You may be able to feel the rocker arm, but it takes some focus. The dent gives you something immediate and tangible to look for without having to divert your visual attention."
- a blog from a knife depot, which I cant link to due to BF rules.

I feel for the scallops cut into the scales on either side of the lockbar rather than the bar itself. Eyes open, eyes shut, attention focused on the knife or on the task at hand, I've never wished for an additional marker.

I feel for the scallops cut into the scales on either side of the lockbar rather than the bar itself. Eyes open, eyes shut, attention focused on the knife or on the task at hand, I've never wished for an additional marker.
As mentioned, I like the Boye dent for idea of it preventing an accidental disengagement. Not that I have ever had a Police model close on me by accident.

I happen to like the Boye dent but dont feel handicapped at all, if a knife lacks the dent. As you, Im used to feel along the handle for the scallops, if its a knife sans dent. The Boye dent is nice but I can live without in a knife, if I have to.

i actually like that the police 4 didnt have a boye dent just because all the other spyderco lockbacks i own have it already, i like having a model that doesnt use it just to have and try something different.

I like both mods as well. Very nice. The new Police model hadn't interested me until I saw your post. I'm a big fan of Spyderco FRN lock-backs and would definitely buy a Police4 if those upgrades were standard.

I like both mods as well. Very nice. The new Police model hadn't interested me until I saw your post. I'm a big fan of Spyderco FRN lock-backs and would definitely buy a Police4 if those upgrades were standard.
Thanks.
As also mentioned in another thread, these are features Id like to see in future full flat Police models.
Maybe @Sal Glesser can chime in and have a say whether thats possible or not.

Back