polishing a satin finished blade to a mirrior (or close) polish

Well as the title suggests, I am curious as to what to use to accomplish this. Key word is "use". I have been talking to Richard j about the how (tonight is the first that I have seen you one Richard. will call soon). So no worries on that. What to use though, i am not sure on.

What would you guys use? Sand paper only? sand paper then a polishing agent? which polishing agent if any?

Just so you guys know, the knife i am looking to do this too (after testing a beater out with all of this of course) is a Kershaw Lahar reground by Tom Krien. It is going be getting some new scales sometime soon too. I figure a mirrior polish on the blade will make it look amazing even more so :D

tia

OL

I'd say start pretty low (I think Krein regrinds at 120 grit) with wet/dry sandpaper on a rigid backing, and step by step go as high as you possibly can (2000 is pretty easy to find at auto shop/walmart's auto section) before thinking about "polishing".

Once you're past wet/dry, I'm outta ideas, but I'm sure people will be along to further your quest.

Goes without saying, however, that you have to post pics when you're done! :cool:

I'd hand sand, less chance of screwing up.

3M Tri-M-Ite paper goes from 400x to 8000x and leaves a nicer finish per grit number than SiC paper. It is a softer paper, more like cloth. I think it was developed for use in jewelry finishing (that's how I discovered it). I use it on both metal and (dense) wood.

I'd say start pretty low (I think Krein regrinds at 120 grit) with wet/dry sandpaper on a rigid backing, and step by step go as high as you possibly can (2000 is pretty easy to find at auto shop/walmart's auto section) before thinking about "polishing".

Once you're past wet/dry, I'm outta ideas, but I'm sure people will be along to further your quest.

Goes without saying, however, that you have to post pics when you're done! :cool:

I'd hand sand, less chance of screwing up.

3M Tri-M-Ite paper goes from 400x to 8000x and leaves a nicer finish per grit number than SiC paper. It is a softer paper, more like cloth. I think it was developed for use in jewelry finishing (that's how I discovered it). I use it on both metal and (dense) wood.

of course i will post pics :D if you want LB, search this "RGLahar" (minus the quotes obviously :p). you will find pics of the Krien'd lahar.

firebert, i was hoping that you would chime in. after seeing what you did to that speed bump and all. i definatly want to do it by hand. I will have to look for this stuff.

keep it comin guys. there are alot of modders on this site!

No problem.

I think I got the name wrong. Here's a link to the stuff, http://www.ottofrei.com/store/product.php?productid=4013&cat=820&page=1
The paper itself is unlabeled so it can be a bitch to figure out exactly what it is. I usually use green through pink, though the finer stuff leaves a good polish that can be made mirror smooth with some cerium oxide on a cloth.

thanks for the link. looks really nice according to that website. for the price, ya really cant beat it. gonna inquire a few places in getting some.

To mirror finish, hand rub to around 600 grit or better, then use green chrome oxide compound on a power buffer to finish.