Polishing compound on bone handles??

I am a new maker and I have had problems with polishing compound getting into the pore of the natural bone handles. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to solve this problem. I like the natural color of the bone. Any help would be appreciated.

------------------
Thomas Clegg

Hi Possum,
For future how to questions you'll have better luck at the Shoptalk/Bladesmith forum, but the best I have run across is the pink no-scratch rouge from Texas Knifemaker Supply. Apply it to a soft, loose buff and it will bring bone and ivory up to a clear glassy shine. However, don't use the buff for anything but bone and ivory. Also invest in a wheel rake to clean the buff out once in awhile

Good luck! Sounds like you may already be hopelessly addicted.

p.s.. If you've never used a loose buff before then be extremely careful. It has a tendency to grab your work piece and fling it violently at your head and other precious objects.

------------------
Gary Bradburn
Bradburn Custom Cutlery

[/URL] www.toptexknives.com/bradburn.htm
www.hammerheadknives.com
"You can only protect your liberties in this world by protecting the other mans freedom. You can only be free if I am"

I really appreciate the advice on the pink rouge and loose wheel. I am afraid the advice about the danger cmae to late. I am now recovering from an accident with my sewn buff wheel. Ploishing a large skinner with a large guthook and guess what, it caught and hit my left thumb. borke it in two places and split it open to the bone. So I am remembering that every time I go into my shop now. But, will try the rouge on the bone and ivory. Thanks for the help...!
Thomas Clegg

------------------
Thomas Clegg

Back