Poll: Best steel for EDC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys,

I haven't been around for a long time. Life has been getting in the way for sure. Happy New Year to everyone. Would you guys mind taking a second to fill out a poll on your favorite steel for EDC knives? If you don't mind, here's the link: [Solicitation is not allowed]. I'll just be using the results for my own knowledge and sharing them here and on my forum, hopefully to start a good conversation about the topic. Thanks in advance for the time. If I've missed a steel that you feel should be included, please let me know.

--Clay

Last edited by a moderator:
I tried to vote for 1095 as I prefer Case CV knives for EDC, however you can't vote unless you are a Face Book member, and I don't do no facebookin!

OK, I voted. Now what? How do I see poll results. I'm curious how this will play out.

For me and my purposes, I voted for 154CM/CPM154. I've found it to be a fantastic all around steel for my EDC needs. That said, my opinion about what is "best" isn't worth squat because I haven't tried most of the steels in the poll. For all I know, 4V is the shiznit, but hell if I've even seen a knife in 4V or Elmax, or Infi., or.....

Okay, so it looks like you have to be a Facebook member to use the poll. Since that's the case, please just respond here about your favorite steel.

You can ad a poll to this thread. If I remember correctly, you go to thread tools on the tool bar just under the title to your thread and on the right side.

ZDP-189 for me Clay, but I am fortunate enough to own one of your Wicked Edged so sharpening is not an issue for me.

It's a given that favorites can change over time. However, I prefer blades that take very sharp edges and are relatively easy and fast to get sharp and resharpen without specialized sharpening systems. Despite the fact that I own several wonderful knives in some of the current "super" steels, I really prefer knives in more moderate steels. Of those, 1095, 154CM, VG-10, 440C, AUS8A and Buck's 420HC all come to mind.

If forced to make an absolute choice, I couldn't. It would have to be a tie between 154CM and VG-10.

please just respond here about your favorite steel.

Okay, then.

For most purposes, CPM S35VN and CPM 154 are my favorite steels. Decent edge retention and relatively easy to sharpen/maintain. Good corrosion resistance, too, which is important to me.

Okay, so it looks like you have to be a Facebook member to use the poll. Since that's the case, please just respond here about your favorite steel.

It works without facebook.
I just cancelled the login and it thanked me for voting.

Here is what I've gotten so far from the Facebook poll:

pie-chart-L.png

Knife Steels
20 answers
View as pie chart
154CM or CPM 154 3 votes
15.0%
S30V 3 votes
15.0%
S35VN 3 votes
15.0%
1095 2 votes
10.0%
Elmax 2 votes
10.0%
ZDP-189 2 votes
10.0%
M4 1 vote
5.0%
VG-10 1 vote
5.0%
AUS8 1 vote
5.0%
D2 1 vote
5.0%
CTS-XHP 1 vote
5.0%
440C 0 votes
0%
ATS34 0 votes
0%
S30VN 0 votes
0%
S90V 0 votes
0%
S110V 0 votes
0%
M390 0 votes
0%
CTS-BD30P 0 votes
0%
CPM3V 0 votes
0%
14C28N 0 votes
0%

You know there is a poll feature here right? I won't be going off site to vote.

I will say that the best for me is what is in my pocket and that will depend on what I plan to be doing that day and what the conditions of those tasks will entail.

Elmax all the way, finest edge vs reasonably edge retention for me!

You know there is a poll feature here right? I won't be going off site to vote.

I will say that the best for me is what is in my pocket and that will depend on what I plan to be doing that day and what the conditions of those tasks will entail.

I didn't know until after I posted this thread. Can you point me to it?

It's a given that favorites can change over time. However, I prefer blades that take very sharp edges and are relatively easy and fast to get sharp and resharpen without specialized sharpening systems. Despite the fact that I own several wonderful knives in some of the current "super" steels, I really prefer knives in more moderate steels. Of those, 1095, 154CM, VG-10, 440C, AUS8A and Buck's 420HC all come to mind.

If forced to make an absolute choice, I couldn't. It would have to be a tie between 154CM and VG-10.

I like the cut of your jib, Lee. Couldn't have said this better me-self.

154CM / ATS-34, VG-10, or good ol' 1095 do me proud for EDC purposes.

Nothing like touching up with a coffee mug and the daily newspaper.

I didn't know until after I posted this thread. Can you point me to it?

It is a check box at the bottom of the page when you create a new thread. I'd be willing to bet this has been done before. Might want to search for a poll like this first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back