[Poll] For your needs, is the combo tool enough?

For your needs, is the combo tool an adequate replacement for the cap lifter/can opener tools?

• Yes

Votes: 22 51.2%
  • No

Votes: 16 37.2%
  • I'm not sure

Votes: 5 11.6%

• Total voters
With the exception of the compact, I don’t think Victorinox had fully realized it’s potential. Give the world a couple more strong two layer candidates and I think more people would say it’s worth the compromise.
I think they tried somewhat with models like the Scientist, The Trail Guide (Marlboro), early alox Tourist (aka Voyageur), Lumberjack, and a couple of 111mm. Probably something I’m missing…

I was thinking they could have tried more with 3+ layers.

EDIT: Early alox TOURIST not alox WAITER (aka caplifter Bantam)

Last edited:
I think blade-combo-saw-awl-corkscrew would be an awesome 2 layer knife. Add the pliers as an extra layer and it would rule the world.
It's dangerous to dream.
( 1st layer: corkscrew, combo, main blade )
( 2nd layer: inline awl, hook, 56 mm scissors )
I think they tried somewhat with models like the Scientist, The Trail Guide (Marlboro), early Waiter (aka Voyageur), Lumberjack, and a couple of 111mm. Probably something I’m missing…

I was thinking they could have tried more with 3+ layers.

it's interesting that the lumberjack and trail guide are very similar to the walker.

it's interesting that the lumberjack and trail guide are very similar to the walker.
Walker is a lumberjack. Just the newer name. The Trail Guide is like a Compact with the metal saw added.

Also reminds me of the other kid models like My First Vic and the D of E with the rounded/blunt tip main blade.

And then there’s the Techline (aka Mechanic Jr) and the Rütli which was the same except for the corkscrew and thin pliers.

Walker is a lumberjack. Just the newer name. The Trail Guide is like a Compact with the metal saw added.

Also reminds me of the other kid models like My First Vic and the D of E with the rounded/blunt tip main blade.

And then there’s the Techline (aka Mechanic Jr) and the Rütli which was the same except for the corkscrew and thin pliers.

I thought the Lumberjack was the alox version and the Walker was the various red scale versions (?). I know the names have changed a few times over the years so... Whatever...

I voted yes. Because most of the time I like the combo tool just fine. It can handle most of what I want it to do. However, I'd rather have the in-line awl instead, any day. If I'm gonna have to have a can opener at all, I'd rather just have the extra layer and have the better version.

Especially if we're talking about the newer 111mm liner-lock models with the heavy locking bottle opener/pry bar. I really like those.

At this point though, I really wish they would offer more models with no opener layer at all. I'm sure I'm not the only one here who usually carries more than one knife/tool daily. I don't need another of the exact same can opener on every single sak I own. Plus on every Leatherman/multitool. I haven't needed to open a bottle in I don't know how long... Years I'm sure...
One can opener, and one bottle opener is plenty.

I'd probably own %50 or more additional saks if the saks I have were offered in a version without the opener layer, or without the corkscrew. Replace the pen blade with the in-line awl if it won't fit on a different back-spring.

I thought the Lumberjack was the alox version and the Walker was the various red scale versions (?). I know the names have changed a few times over the years so... Whatever...
You might be right. That’s the problem with made-up collector names vs old official ones verified in print catalogs. The history of these 2-layer 84mm with a saw as far as I know is:

cellidor and 2 blades: 242k
alox with the cap lifter pre-combo tool: 2231 r+ or s+
cellidor with combo tool: Plumber in Canada, Walker today

I think of Lumberjack as either the US name c. 1978 (like Bartender which is documented to precede cellidor Waiter) or a made-up name to cover all of them. I don’t know which Is correct.

You might be right. That’s the problem with made-up collector names vs old official ones verified in print catalogs. The history of these 2-layer 84mm with a saw as far as I know is:

cellidor and 2 blades: 242k
alox with the cap lifter pre-combo tool: 2231 r+ or s+
cellidor with combo tool: Plumber in Canada, Walker today

I think of Lumberjack as either the US name c. 1978 (like Bartender which is documented to precede cellidor Waiter) or a made-up name to cover all of them. I don’t know which Is correct.
Fair enough.
Back in 2020 I was able to score a couple of the red celidor Walkers nib. I went back and checked the boxes and that's how I know the name is right on those. But what else they've officially been called or not I can't say for sure.

I haven't owned the alox equivalent. At least not yet. I'd love to, but the only few I have ever found for sell... Call me cheap if you will.lol. Maybe I'll find a good price one day.

Nope.
Cant pry with it as well as the large SD tip, and the combo can opener loses by several country miles to the actual opener. Too thin for a few of the screws I've tried it on over the years.
Its a compromise tool, so none of this came as a surprise to me. As always, YMMV

Yes and no. I like the combo tool, but it has limitations. In some situations it's fine. In others it's just not good enough, especially when compared to having a separate bottle and can opener.

The bottle opener is much sturdier as a flat head and pry tool than the combo tool is, and the can opener's sharp edge is also good for certain things that the combo tool can't do. The combo tool is also awkward for phillips screws that the can opener tip works a lot better for.

You can usually get by just fine with the combo tool, but it's better to have the opener layer if you can deal with having the extra thickness.

vs-a.jpg

vs-b.jpg

Last edited:
I voted Yes earlier and stick by that because I could make do. Most people don't even carry any knife and survive somehow.

Sometimes I'll break out my old Compact - I actually bought it from the Heidi Shop in Lausanne in 1998 when I was backpacking/Eurorailing. I think that if someone were to blind drop a Compact and a Climber into my pocket and I moved around, I would not be able to tell the difference in feel. Or at least, not so much that it would be worth losing the small blade, reamer (great for cutting tape), and dedicated openers.

Realistically any tool on a SAK is not for heavy duty use. I do like the thicker tools on older SAK’s. On a modern SAK the combo tool is really all that is needed.

I'd say it's adequate for my needs, but for that matter just the cap lifter would suffice as well (I like the 7 with the cap lifter and pruner blade on that layer). I use the can opener on occasion, but generally if I'm carrying canned food (car camping for example), I can have a manual opener along without much problem. Likewise, if I'm using the tools as a driver, its just for use in a pinch or for convenience on the occasional screw. Anything more and I'm never far from a proper screwdriver which is well worth the time to go and get.

The cap lifter on the other hand, is a go-to tool that I find myself reaching for much more often (whether for myself or those around me); from the taco truck, to the peanut stand, to the obvious 🍻. I know getting a cap off a bottle is not difficult without one, but still I like having one on me, and it always seems appreciated by others when I am the only one to have one.

Am I the only one that wishes SAK had a bladeless option? I usually always have a dedicated EDC knife on me but I love the tools on my SAKs. I wish i could just carry a SAK but my knife addiction doesn't allow me not to carry a folder at the moment.

Am I the only one that wishes SAK had a bladeless option? I usually always have a dedicated EDC knife on me but I love the tools on my SAKs. I wish i could just carry a SAK but my knife addiction doesn't allow me not to carry a folder at the moment.
Blasphemy!

There is a small one called the Jetsetter, but I suppose you can mod the blades into other tools and just explain to the TSA. Or get a Leatherman Style PS.

I forgot about that one. I have a Rambler on my keychain that I really only use the scissors and small Philips anyways. That sounds like a good option for travel. I was thinking more for 91mm though. I guess I’ll have to mod my own. 😆

Back