Poll: Plastic Clip???

What do you think about plastic clip?

• Total voters
Starting to see more plastic clips this year. I personally hate it, and would rather carry tip down than a plastic clip. What do you all think about this?
I just received my Kiridashi and it's the only thing i dislike about it. I wish it has a "normal" steel clip like the tuff lite. Removing the clip doesn't quite work because the handle is designed for plastic clip, a critical flaw. The pocket retention for mine is not good and because it's plastic, you can't adjust the tension. The huge plastic clip also risk snagging and dropping the knife.

One 'good' thing they shouldn't scratch things if you happen to bump or rub against things like cars, the wider clip seems to feel ok on this Kiridashi I just got, I did remove the thumbstud, far to much in the way for sharpening, the blade can be pinched open one handed easy enough.
Another on the 'good' side of the poll would be there isn't any paint to wear off ;)

Untitled by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

G2

Last edited:
Although I did break one and had to replace it (thanks again to @Cold Steel Knives for sending me one!), I love the clip design on the Grik. Since it's as wide as the handle, it becomes part of the handle rather than an add-on protuberance. Tension has been fine for me. If they could make it out of something a bit more flexible to reduce chance of breakage that would be perfect. The Kiridashi looks like a similar concept, although not quite as wide.

View attachment 1318736

I don’t mind the plastic clips in fact I think it is great on the Grik.
Now on the Luzon and Kiridashi I don’t care for them because I am left handed.

It doesn’t keep me from carrying them, it just isn’t ideal.
The past week I have carried the Kiridashi and in is a great work knife, if it had a left side clip it would be close to perfect.

One 'good' thing they shouldn't scratch things if you happen to bump or rub against things like cars, the wider clip seems to feel ok on this Kiridashi I just got, I did remove the thumbstud, far to much in the way for sharpening, the blade can be pinched open one handed easy enough.
Another on the 'good' side of the poll would be there isn't any paint to wear off ;)

G2
Very nice picture. Yeah i can definitely see the merit of plastic for not scratching up stuff. In fact I’ve made a habit of covering my clip as i walk in narrow places or near cars for this reason. I also like the ergonomic of plastic when it becomes part of the handle, although i like the ergonomics of smaller clip better.
But I’m a minimalist guy, I pretty much switch out all my benchmade clip to the bugout style short deep carry clip, and Spyderco with lynch short clip.
To me the retention is important, i have an OCD of making my clip very tight to ensure the knife doesn’t fall off easily.

Don't think I’m a fan of plastic clips. Less likely to scratch things, can be a more integral part of the handle in color and form, less flashy, all those things are true and can be an advantage. But they will not be as strong as a steel clip and if they fail, the knife might be lost. One of the main purposes of a clip is to keep it safe, so anything that makes that less likely is suspect IMO. And that integration into the design, which admittedly does look good, is lost if you decide to remove it and it can’t be switched to the other side. I know I’m not the only left hander who doesn’t like clips on all his knives?

One cool thing about the Grik is that you can actually install both right and left clips if you want a beefier handle. Haven't tried it yet, but should also be able to install both of the pieces that go on the side opposite the clip to have no clip at all.

Kinda tired of plastic. I like being able to adjust the tension on the metal for different pants and other places I hang it sometimes. I can make the retention strong or light depending on my needs at the time. I am used to carrying a fixed blade for decades so I automatically watch out for cars etc. I don't really care if OP see my knife clip, I am not trying to hide it, actually just the opposite. At least it isn't like the old models where the clip broke off and was part of the handle. Now if they made the plastic and metal interchangeable.....

Last edited:
Back