Poll Question: D2 or Elmax For a Small Utility Fixed Blade Knife?

Would you pay an extra $10 for Elmax over D2 for a small utility fixed blade knife?

• I would pay an extra $10 for Elmax over D2

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I would rather save $10 and take D2

• I don't care what steel as long as I like the design

• Total voters
Thanks again all. I don't have a design yet but that's the easy part (maybe). This is still in the thought stage. I need to figure out how and where to get it done, what materials, costs for me, etc. You guys helped me decide on the steel which is great.

Ray, I was going to say that you had better send that Elmax out for HT. Have you seen the minimum austenizing temperatures for that stuff? Any higher and you might be forge welding it to the oven rack. LOL

Yes Joe, I'll be sending these out for HT. I want to do as little work as possible so I can price the knife as low as possible.

Thanks again guys for the help with the steel. I might ask about the handle material choices next.

-Ray

Ray, I just want to say that your custom knives that I've seen are really nice, and I want to compliment you on your craftsmanship.
I chose Elmax for the poll.

Thanks again guys.

Rick after I get this utility fixed blade going and if it goes well I plan on doing a mid tech run of framelocks and most likely be using Elmax on it too.

Ray,

That would send me over the edge finally - looking forward to the possibility.

Rick

Thanks again guys.

Rick after I get this utility fixed blade going and if it goes well I plan on doing a mid tech run of framelocks and most likely be using Elmax on it too.

ELMAX. I am going to try and get me one of the spydie mules in elmax next week too. But would love one of yours in elmax.

I would pay the extra $10 for the Elmax steel. I say this mainly because of the stainless properties of Elmax vs D2. For an edc knife I would much rather have a stainless blade.

I voted Elmax but I agree with what someone else said about it depending on the total cost.

What price point are you going to try and hit? I say once you get over 120 or so, the 10 dollars is not a big difference, but if you are trying to keep it under $100 than D2 might be a better idea.

Also, count me as being in line for one of these.

Thanks again guys.

i have been admiring your work for a little while now, and your pieces don't stay homeless for very long. doing a run like this would be awesome.

p.s. your linerlock #29 and #30 are the knives that caused me to be a big fan of your work :thumbup:

Back