Pommel Nuts?

SolarStorm50

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
One of my pains is making the pommel nuts for my takedown blades. I do not have a milling machine or a lathe, so looking for ideas on how to make this an easier task. I am on try number 3 for the nut for this bladecomp.png

1) Search on Amazon/Ebay/etc. or browse a hardware store bin of Lamp Finials. You may find ones that are close to what you want. Just a little trimming or none at all.
2) Get round brass stock just a tad bigger than needed. Cut a 6" piece off and drill and tap one end for the tang. Taper the other end to a point on the grinder by chucking the brass in a cordless drill and turning against a 120 grit belt. Cut the head off a bolt and put it in the drill press. Screw the brass on the bolt and seat the tapered end in a block of wood in the drill vise. You now have a vertical lathe. Turn with files and sandpaper to whatever shape you want. Cut off excess and finish.

Love the Lamp Finials idea! Ive tried the "drill lathe" with limited success.

Here's one that turned out ok.
When I mocked up the build I used an acorn nut from the hardware store. I don't have a lathe, so it's easy to make something terrible.
A few strategies that work:
-Use mild steel and blacken it when finished.
-use an oversized rod (0.75") and thread the end first, after squaring the end on a disc grinder.
-put allthread in the nut and chuck into a hand drill.
-Use the rest on your grinder, and be very rigid and precise in holding your angle, while you slowly turn the drill and contact the moving belt
-carefully index any slots or grooves, since any straying from symmetry will look like crap.
JOJxtPe.jpg

Back